Jeep Commander Interior Broken Door Handle – Solved!

8:45 am Jeep

Round Jeep Commander interior door handles share the same problem as Grand Cherokees.

© DenLorsTools.com Summary: Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Commanders share a faulty interior door handle assembly problem. The shape of the handles may be different in each model, however the problem is with the incorrect resin mix which results in a brittle and crumbling material causing failure just the same. This is obviously a manufacturer’s defect, however it’s a fault that is NOT covered under Jeep’s warranty. And no, there’s not a recall or service bulletin out on them. Until recently this problem was not solved, the only fix was replacing the entire door panels. Now there’s a better way!

Chrysler/Jeep designed the interior door panels on the Jeep Commander in such a way that the entire door panel had to be replaced rather than just the door handle. The interior door handle is plastic welded at certain points from the backside of the door panel. The Jeep Commander interior door handle housing which typically breaks is NOT available from the dealer at this time. They are available in the aftermarket. Here’s what a replacement looks like below. Some handle replacements like the ones we sold in the past used #10 sheet metal screws and #10 flat washers. Another way to attach Commander handles is by using a plastic welder. Plastic welders can be used to re-install the handles in the same fashion as originals. Welding each position from the backside attaches the handle just the way it was when it came out of the factory. Call to discuss our plastic welder options at 800-524-9783.

Commander Door Handle

Obviously replacing Jeep Commander interior door handles instead of replacing the entire interior door panel can save a lot of money.

They are available in several colors but can also be painted with interior trim paint if needed to match closer. Simply use an interior trim paint purchased from a parts store or the local dealer. The dealer will look up the correct interior trim color by using the code found on the drivers door decal or by the VIN (vehicle identification number).

Note: Original handle levers (the part you pull on) can also be switched out if needed.

Vehicles affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010 Jeep Commander.

Name: Dale S.
Email Address: s____@yahoo.com
Source: internet
Comments: I just installed a pair of Jeep Commander door handles. Only took me about an hour to do both doors. Really worked well. Thanks for the article. Sure beats paying the dealership astronomical prices to replace the whole door.

Name: Linda and Joe M.
Email Address: s____@gmail.com
Source: Google

Comments: I want to thank you for the  article on the driver’s side door handle for my Jeep Commander. We installed a replacement chrome light greystone handle in record time. My local auto shop wanted over $600 to fix the handle. My husband (67) and I (65) did it ourselves for less than $50. Below is a picture of the new handle in place.

Linda and Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Handle Installed

1. DennisB :

Date: May 30, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Below is a question from a used car dealer that just learned about the Jeep Commander issue. The image at the top of the page and the one below were sent to me by him.

Hi Dennis – This is Daryl L. in San Antonio – I’m a used car dealer and we spoke about the aftermarket Commander door handle fix last week. Just so I’m sure the handle kit will work (which is great BTW) please see the pics from a 2006 Commander I just picked up at a local car auction. Will your door handle cup replacement work for both these doors – drivers and passenger?

Thank you in advance for your time.
    Daryl

Daryl,

Thanks for sending the images. Looks like one of the two are missing the lever and springs. The cup portion or “housing” is what typically breaks. The aftermarket handle replacements have a new housing, handle lever, pivot pin and return spring. Be careful when removing the door panels, especially around the weaker V shaped portion located towards the front. You don’t want to crack anything else.

2. Joey :

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Hello,
    I recently just ordered a set of Jeep Commander door handles online. My Commander handles were broken for months and checking websites and dealerships wasn’t getting me anywhere. Dealerships quoted me $850 each door to replace the panel. I then researched one more time and came onto your article. Called and spoke to one of your polite and knowledgeable operators. I am so pleased how high of a quality the repair was, I’m not the most handy person, but to be honest both door handles were replaced under 20 minutes. What a difference. Thanks for the information. You Very MUCH!

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Joey, I appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your Commander handle installation went. Thanks again.

4. Danielle :

Date: July 17, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

I just bought a 2006 and the handle broke like the picture above. But why is it so costly to fix? And is there a way to jery-rig it till its fixed?

Date: July 17, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Danielle, I wouldn’t recommend rigging. In an event of an accident, it’s best to be able to get out of the vehicle quickly if needed. Driving with a broken handle is simply not safe.

I’m not sure if Chrysler’s $500-700 door panels are made in China or not. I can however tell you as far as I know that the aftermarket door handles that are made in Taiwan are good quality. I’d stay away from China made handles if at all possible because usually there is a difference in quality. Thanks.

6. Adam :

Date: August 6, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

I have a 2006 commander and the driver side door handle broke into pieces when it was at the auto shop getting the computer module replaced. The company is not taking responsibility for it breaking because they said its a manufacturer defect. Jeep needs to take responsibility for this problem.

Date: September 12, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Adam, the handles from the factory can be very brittle. If anyone removes a door panel that has one of those really brittle housing it will most likely break. I have to side with the repair shop in this case.

8. Jim Berg :

Date: September 13, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

I installed 4 door handles in my 2006 Jeep Commander, Bravo to whoever produced the replacement handles for making my Jeep safe. It took approx 30 minutes per door to install, a small price to pay for the safety of me and my passengers. This will be the last Chrysler product I buy due to their lack of concern for the safety of the customer. Thanks again for the info.

Date: September 13, 2012 @ 12:30 pm

Jim, thanks for taking time to comment. It does seem strange that Chrysler hasn’t came out with a kit by now. I suppose they are more focused on the Fiat line now rather than worrying with past mistakes. Anyway, thanks again.

10. Jason Washer :

Date: September 17, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

I live in Canada and just recently purchased a Grand Cherokee 2005 and interior door handles are falling off. I phoned my dealer and he said he never heard of such a thing. I told him to check out this website and see how many people are having this problem. Why do dealers treat us like we are the only ones having problems.

11. Jerry Stein :

Date: October 4, 2012 @ 10:33 am

why no answers since september 13th

Date: October 4, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Jerry, if you have any specific questions, I’ll see if I can answer them for you. 800-524-9783

13. Erin :

Date: October 16, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

I just bought a 2006 Jeep Commander…the door handle isn’t broken, it’s just missing the access cover or housing, the plastic behind the door handle. I was just told by a dealer that that in order to get that one, small part I was going to have to purchase the entire door panel which was going to be around $500-700!

Date: October 16, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Erin, the dealer does not have the repair kit available. The handle assembly is available in the aftermarket. Thanks.

15. JCA :

Date: November 18, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I installed 2 door handle assemblies in my 2006 Jeep Commander. It took 30 minutes to repair the door. Jeep/Chrysler should just admit the flaw and have a recall. At least I didn’t give them my money to repair the door! They are a bunch of thieves to charge such and excessive price for something they clearly didn’t get right on the production line.

16. BocaWindows :

Date: December 3, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

OK. SO I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander all 4 door handles were broken, obviously a manufacturers defect that was never recalled.
    I also went to the dealer $700 for a door panel plus labor X 4 ! I bought two handles I went in my garage and within 10 minutes (no kidding) I was done with one door. The color match isn’t perfect but no one else will notice.

17. manuel :

Date: February 6, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

WOW!I hope this is really true. I have all 4 door handles broken and I almost insulted the dealer guy when he gave me a quote on the 4 door panels. 3 of the 4 door handles do open but they are broken like in the main picture on your page. Thanks!

Date: February 7, 2013 @ 6:28 am

Yes. It’s surprising how many Jeep dealers don’t know about this fix.

19. Patrick Copley :

Date: June 18, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

Ordered door handles (4). I had them all installed in less than 90 minutes. Very easy to do and the kit is very good quality!

Sending the broken pieces to Jeep with a note that says kiss my *%&.

I thank you and more importantly my family thanks you.

Date: June 18, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Patrick, thanks for commenting. Glad your door handle replacement worked out well. Ease of use is nice but safety takes priority over and above all. Thanks again.

21. Ed :

Date: December 7, 2013 @ 11:20 am

I have a broken driver side door handle cup. The handle is to open the door is working fine. I need only the cup to hold the chrome handle in place.
    Thanks, Ed

Date: December 7, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

The cup with the handle lever is available in the aftermarket as an assembly.

23. Erica Falcon :

Date: December 13, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Hi my name is Erica. I am a single mother of 5 daughters. I saved and saved to purchase a new car. Finally was able to and since then I’ve had to have my Jeep reprogrammed, water coming in and sunroof broke. And now 2 of the door handles are broken. I simply cannot afford to pay the dealers price.

Date: December 14, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

Feel for you.

25. Larry :

Date: September 9, 2014 @ 7:51 pm

Trying to order a single front passenger handle. Although this is a great alternative and great savings compared to the dealer cost . We just had to replace all 16 sparks plugs and the coils when the engine stalled as soon as I hit 55,000 miles on my 2006 Comander… was not a cheap day! Now that’s fixed and now the handle just broke. I know we had the dealer fix the driver side before we purchased it at $1200. So I am so happy to of found this site!

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 7:26 am

Hello Larry. Thanks for the comment. Glad the article helped. For tool needs give us a call between 10-5 eastern time at 800-524-9783.

27. Granny fixes it :

Date: September 16, 2015 @ 8:08 am

My sister-in-law (71) just bought a used 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 4 days later, 3 of her four inside door handles shattered! I found your wonderful site with helpful information. We installed door handles in only little more than an hour – all four doors were fixed! I did this very easily and I am a 66 year old grandmother!

Date: September 16, 2015 @ 8:26 am

Thanks so much for the feedback! Some guys say they’re not sure if they can do it. I’ve told them many times in the past that some Grandma’s have installed Commander door handles… not sure if they really believe me! Anyway, glad you found our information in this article.