Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior Door Handle Broken – Recall?

10:15 am Consumer, Extended Warranty, How To Auto Repair, Jeep, Public Service

© DenLorsTools.com Summary: A disturbing number of Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door handles are breaking at an alarming rate. Jeep Grand Cherokees from 2005 and up seem to have a particularly weak point in the interior door panel where the interior (inside inner) door handle is located. See what Jeep owners are doing about this problem and learn about the latest replacement parts information. A recall was thought to be eminent on the inner door handle assembly. Jeep Grand Cherokee’s affected are 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Almost $2,000 in rubble from 4 door panels off a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

No recall in sight – however an aftermarket fix has solved the issue. Replace just the inside door handle and not the entire door panel.

The weak design in the interior door panels on Jeep Grand Cherokees and Commanders is one of the latest disappointments from Jeep. Many of our readers are irate over the weak design in Jeep Liberty power window regulators. What makes matters worse (with Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Commanders) is that the interior door handles, at this time, are not serviceable by themselves at the dealer – the ENTIRE interior door panel has to be replaced. In the beginning there was no other fix. Now there are aftermarket handles to fix this problem. The repair works without the expense of replacing the expensive dealer door panel assemblies. The new aftermarket handles are much stronger. The inside door handle is attached to the existing door panel. The interior door handle is plastic welded into the door panel – NOT attached with screws. Some aftermarket handles available uses #10 sheet metal screws and #10 flat washers. Using too long of screws to attach the new handle will damage the door panel causing dimples to appear where it can be seen (or worse the screws may protrude). The aftermarket handles can be plastic welded and attached as they were originally. Call us to discuss plastic welders that can achieve this at 800-524-9783 x 251. The door panel material is soft and weak so care must be taken.

When our local Jeep dealer was contacted for replacement interior door handles, we were told that there is no recall and they are not available by themselves. We were able to inform the parts department of aftermarket replacement handles.

Replacing the entire door panels when I worked at Carmax I first learned of this expensive issue.

Some Jeep owners that were fortunate enough to have factory 3 year warranty coverage, came out of this unscathed. Also, Jeep owners that have an extended warranty may have this problem covered as well. Getting this problem covered by an aftermarket warranty company will depend upon how the failure is written up and the guidelines of the policy. Some warranty companies are much easier to deal with than others. The failure should be written up as follows. Cause of failure: Interior door handle has stress cracked and is broken. There are no signs of abuse, impact damage or after market modifications. **Note that the interior door handle is serviceable only as an interior door panel assembly**Correction: Installed replacement interior door handle assembly to correct concern.

What some owners were doing before the replacement handles were available.  Some Jeep owners that do not have any warranty are removing the door panels at the first sign of any spider cracking in the panel. Once removed, some are using super glue and/or two part epoxy repair resin to strengthen the area where the interior door handle is mounted in the panel. By doing this repair from the backside, the super glue or resin cannot be seen and the result may very well be a stronger than OE (Original Equipment) panel. Of course this works best when the pieces are all in place and there’s no chunks missing. Buying a used panel from a salvage yard is questionable since the panels/handles are very frail to begin with. The likelihood of a used panel cracking would be very high so for this reason we would not recommend purchasing a used door panel

1. Mimi Huss :

Date: September 26, 2011 @ 10:55 am

For all individuals who have this issue…Contact the NHTSA and file a complaint. If there are enough complaints a report will be issued to Chrysler to issue a recall. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm. It will only take a few minutes and your complaint may make the difference.

2. sindy mejia :

Date: October 11, 2011 @ 10:11 am

I have the same problem!!! this needs to be recalled!!

3. Phillip Hurst :

Date: October 26, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

File a complaint with NHTSA! It takes five minutes…you can even copy and paste wording I used and modify for your case (it should get some attention!): “ALL 4 INTERIOR DOOR OPENING HANDLES BREAKING/FAILING: 1 REAR DOOR TOTALLY INOPERABLE. ***THIS IS A DANGEROUS SAFETY ISSUE – IF HANDLES BREAK OR ARE INOPERABLE IN CERTAIN EMERGENCY SITUATIONS, PASSENGERS MAY NOT BE ABLE TO EXIT THE VEHICLE, CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH!*** MANUFACTURER CHARGE TO REPLACE/REPAIR HANDLES IS PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE: IN MY CASE, THE COST OF EIGHT (8) MONTHLY CAR PAYMENTS! MANUFACTURER SAFETY RECALL WARRANTED!”

4. Mike Howard :

Date: October 29, 2011 @ 5:21 am

I got the same problem with my 2005. I got 4 used panels from a 2006 jeep on Ebay paid 500$ for them. I then put one on my passenger and it cracked within a month. I then got Jeep to pay the bill after complaining with them on the phone for a while. Used panels will not work or last. Dennis I am glad I found this info.. Thanks

5. rami :

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 7:17 am

I have jeep 2005 and I have the same problem with all four door handles broken.
    Here in United Arab Emirates they asked $3000 dollars to repair.

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Rami, that is even higher than in the United States. With no recall in sight, at least aftermarket handles are available to fix the problem for just a small fraction of that. Good Luck.

7. martin :

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I also have an jgc 2006 back door handle cracked. I went to the dealership here in Phoenix. All I need is that handle part but hey said I would need to replace the whole door panel because its all connected.

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Martin, Why replace the entire door panel when all that is needed is the door handle housing assembly?

9. John Bishop :

Date: November 6, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

3 of the four door handles on my Daughters 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee have broken. How many people have to complain before Jeep actually does something about this?

Date: November 7, 2011 @ 6:44 am

John, I understand the frustration. Good Luck.

11. Bryan L :

Date: January 6, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

I have three of four door handles doing the same thing. How can jeep get away with this? My children almost got run over because of this issue. They tried getting out of the back seat road side instead of curb side when it broke. I was able to get to them before anything happened.
    NHTSA should step up and do what is obviously within their responsibility.

12. Mark :

Date: January 23, 2012 @ 3:55 pm

I have the exact same problem 2005 Grand Cherokee Hemi – 4 broken panels (one I repaired at a cost of $700) Does anyone know of a class action that I may join or other effective method as Jeep says that they will “study” my complaint

13. AP :

Date: January 23, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Well, add another victim to this weak door panel fiasco. My issue is more with the dealer that sold me the 2005 Used Jeep Grand Cherokee (Arrigo Chrysler Dodge Chrysler Sawgrass. Fl)….they most certainly would have known about this during their inspection, cleaning, detailing etc. The salesman never mentioned a word and of course the deal was structured “AS IS”…. I never expected this from a large dealership therefore didn’t bother to get very detailed in my pre-purchase inspection!. I will give Arrigo Dodge Chrysler in Sawgrass (Broward County Fl) an opportunity to make things right and will post the outcome.

14. AP :

Date: January 24, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

Could it be that there are decent car dealers out there? – Received call from Dealership co-owner John Arrigo of Arrigo Dodge Chrysler Sawgrass responding to my complaint letter re: door panels. He stated that he will make things right even though it was a used car “as-is” sale. Further stated that he will contact Chrysler about this issue. I will continue to update.

My dealer Arrigo Dodge Chrysler Sawgrass (Fl), may have solved my particular problem but today I filed a defective part complaint re: door panels to safecar.gov . Suggest anyone with same problem do the same. Only took 5 minutes. You will need the VIN #. Perhaps this will force Chrysler to issue a re-call.

As soon as I get the Jeep back (hopefully with new door panels), I plan on removing the new door panels and re-enforcing the weak molded section with fiberglass. Just in case!

Date: January 24, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

AP, if you are lucky the dealer will get the upgraded kits and then there won’t be any need to reinforce the OE (Original Equipment) weak design. Problem Solved! Good Luck.

16. drew :

Date: December 18, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

I have been a Jeep fan my whole life owning 4 of them; overall I have never had any major repairs with them; but my 2005 jeep grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi all four of my door handles have broken out; I called and complained to Chrysler and they just blew me off telling me that there was no recall and didn’t really seem all that interested in fixing the problem. I told them it was a safety issue no passengers would be able to exit out of my car in an emergency. I told them there have been thousands of complaints on line and he told me this was the 1st he had heard of that happening. I hope there is a major law suit on jeep. I personally will never buy one again.

Date: December 18, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

I agree they should have done a recall. Other manufacturers have their issues too. The Chevrolet HHR handles have a similar issue with broken handles which require the entire door panel, unless you go with the aftermarket handle. Good Luck.

18. Gabriela :

Date: July 8, 2014 @ 10:41 pm

It is clear that the manufacturer is evading their responsibility to repair or replace those faulty door handles that we are all struggling with. I can barely open my driver door now, all other door panels are broken. I *used* to drive clients around… The car has 59k miles on it and the cracking started at 30k. Seriously…?!! It is a safety hazard and an embarrassement. The sun roof is leaking again too! But there is a class action suit for that at least. 4 years later, dangerous driving with defective door panels, we still have accomplished nothing? That is rather shocking…

19. rick :

Date: August 19, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

I bought a 2006 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3 years ago with 84,000 miles. It now has 110,000. a few months ago, the door handles started to break one at a time. I’m down to just the drivers door. I got the rude awakening that the door handles can not be replaced without replacing the entire door panel at $700-900 each door. I found the information about the repair kits and wondering if anyone knows of any repair shops in the Houston Texas area that will install the door panel kits if I order them? This is really ridiculous! It should be a recall but since there is not one, any help on finding someone to make the repair in my area will be greatly appreciated. Rick

20. Peter Cavanagh :

Date: October 6, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

2005 Jeep GC Limited with all four panels cracked and the back doors can not be opened from inside the vehicle. My car had 55,000 miles on it when I first reported the issue in 2011. Now have 100,000 and no fix in sight. We need a class action to force a recall.

Date: October 6, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

I understand the frustration. Good Luck.

22. Mohamed :

Date: October 22, 2014 @ 8:49 am

My vehicle is a 2006 Grand Cherokee v8 4.7. I have a message on the dash that says (check gas cap). I dont know what to do. Could you help me please? Many thanks.

Date: October 22, 2014 @ 9:26 am

Mohamed, this article has nothing to do with EVAP codes or gas caps being left loose. This repair article is on broken Jeep Grand Cherokee door handles But, your problem is most likely a loose gas cap or seal. Search our other articles that may be more closely related. Good Luck.

24. Katie :

Date: October 28, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

All of my door handles on my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee have broken off and 3 out of the 4 are unusable. This happened within the past year and my Jeep is under 60,000 miles. The dealer states it is $700 per door to fix because they would have to replace the entire door panel. There was not any outside circumstances that caused this defect. The dealer states it is “normal wear and tear.” This is an unacceptable safety hazard. What should I do?

Date: October 28, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

Katie, I understand the frustration. The good news is that there are replacement handles available now without replacing the entire door panels.

26. Paulette Harris :

Date: December 14, 2014 @ 11:16 pm

I too have a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited, V8 and my driver’s side door handle is threatening to come off as well as the right rear door handle has completely come off. I worry that the driver’s side handle will come off and render my vehicle unsafe. I young grandchildren and they frequently are in my vehicle. Can someone please respond to this issue with definitive solutions?

Date: December 15, 2014 @ 7:06 am

Paulette, I understand your concern. There is no recall. The good news is that there are replacement handles available now without replacing the entire door panels.

28. G8trjasonb :

Date: June 17, 2015 @ 2:26 pm

Wow! It seems I’m not the only 2005 Grand Cherokee owner experiencing this problem! Both of my rear handles have snapped off and the two front handles are on the brink. I will NEVER buy another Jeep, Chrysler or Dodge vehicle again after seeing how they have handled this.

Date: June 18, 2015 @ 7:55 am

“Handled this” No pun intended right?

30. njh :

Date: June 21, 2015 @ 7:25 pm

I have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee and the front passenger door handle is broken – sometimes it will work but more often than not, I will have to open the door from the outside to let whoever is riding with me out!!

31. hug a pug :

Date: August 12, 2015 @ 3:49 pm

These door handles are a joke, all four of the handles are broken, if you are in a accident you are doomed to open the doors. this is worse than a cracked windshield, that the insurance replaces with your policy. you must be kidding not having a recall. 2005 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Inside Door Handles.

32. Lucy Smith :

Date: March 9, 2016 @ 8:32 am

I too have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3 broken door handles. Jeep should recall this for sure. I am purchasing 4 new today so that my daughter’s children can get out if they had to. I will keep my receipt and hopefully some day Jeep will listen to us all.

33. Dave K :

Date: April 5, 2016 @ 6:44 pm

I have a broken handle and panel on rear passenger side door on 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE! I Can’t believe this many people (plus how many more that have never been to this site or any other) could be putting their passengers in danger and Jeep does NOTHING! I have owned 6 jeeps to this point and I don’t think I will ever buy another one knowing that I am only a dollar sign to them.

34. chris :

Date: April 9, 2016 @ 8:09 am

Where are the replacement door handles sold? This is for a 2006 Grand Cherokee.

Date: April 9, 2016 @ 9:05 am

We no longer sell these. But you can Google Zach Thrasher Handles to find them available online.

36. Steve Putnoki :

Date: October 18, 2016 @ 9:20 pm

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, V6. The rear interior door handles, driver’s side and passenger, are not functioning properly which has caused a potential safety problem should someone need to exit the vehicle quickly in an emergency. Our grandson has his car seat on the passenger side and would be in grave danger to have to exit in an emergency. Jeep should do the right thing and have a recall on the interior door handles before someone dies or becomes badly crippled.

37. Sandy :

Date: November 16, 2016 @ 3:58 pm

My daughter has a 2005 Grand Jeep Cherokee and all 4 door handles have crack. It is insane that you have to replace the whole door panel. The estimate is $3000!!!! There should be a recall with all these complaints.

38. Sam :

Date: August 5, 2017 @ 8:27 pm

Add me too the list. My new toy (new to me), 2005 jeep grand Cherokee rear passenger handle just broke. Trying to figure out how to do a repair… looks grim. Where’s the recall? I’ll file my complaint.