Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Fluid Leak – Common Leak

10:56 am Consumer, How To Auto Repair, Jeep

Dodge_Transmission_Leak_1

Common transmission leak on many Chrysler products is the electrical plug housing.

©DenLorsTools.com Summary: A common (Chrysler product) transmission fluid leak which affects many models including Jeep Grand Cherokees is covered here. The leak can easily be mis-diagnosed as a leaky pan gasket. A lot of unsuspecting consumers may end up spending a thousand dollars or more to rebuild a transmission with a leak like this. There’s no recall at this time from Chrysler, perhaps there should be, with such a widespread problem. The good news is that this auto repair blog describes the source of the problem and how to repair. A simple repair process to stop the leak for the cost of around ten dollars. Even a do-it yourself-er and can save possibly thousands of dollars from having a mis-diagnosed leak repaired by a transmission rebuild. The vehicle that the transmission leak occurred in, in this case was a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L, GAS, Vin K, Eng Cfg V6.

The transmission fluid leak appears to be coming from the pan seal or gasket at the right front corner. However the common leak is from around the electrical connector housing for the wiring that goes into the transmission. The fluid leak can progress to a fairly rapid leak. This trans. is a Mercedes style transmission and has the European type of electrical plug. The plug is undone by twisting the plastic tab downward while slightly pulling outward. There is a 7 mm bolt in the center of the connector which can be accessed once the electrical plug has been removed. The updated part can be purchased from Chrysler for around $10, the part number is 68021352AA.

1. Start with a cold engine, since the service area is near the exhaust. Place a drip pan under the transmission to catch fluid. Disconnect the wiring harness connector by turning to the left or downward.

2. Remove the electrical housing by taking out the 7 mm bolt in the center of the connector secures it to the transmission. After the bolt is unscrewed, the plastic connector housing can be removed along with two o-rings. Use the updated part from Mopar/Chrysler part #68021352AA. Be sure to clean area where the o-rings will contact and that the old o-rings are removed.

3. Place the new replacement housing in position – it only goes on one way. The 7mm screw should be tightened with hand tools only and caution taken not to forcibly start it. After it is started it should NOT be over-tightened

4. Clean the fluid off from the work area with a part cleaner such as brake clean. Dry area with compressed air. Check transmission fluid level with vehicle running and top off if necessary.

Dodge_Transmission_Leak_3

The old electrical connector and o-rings.

Related Jeep Repair Articles and Specialty Tools

Jeep ATF Dip Stick CRY933 DLT

Mechanics tools

Jeep Grand Cherokee Dual Zone AC Repair

Jeep Grand Cherokee Dual Zone Blend Door Repair

All Other Jeep Related Repair Articles

Please reference this auto repair article when quoting, linking to this page is welcomed and appreciated. If you are new to linking a page. 1. Left click the link; to highlight 2. Right click, select copy 3. Right click and paste to forum, blog web page etc. Thanks! Disclaimer: Auto repair information/tips are designed for informational purposes only, without warranty of any kind, in no event shall the author of this site be liable for any consequential, incidental or direct damages sustained in the course of using the information in this article. © DenLorsTools.com all rights reserved, DMCA filing actions will be carried out against scraper sites that steal our content.

1. Brian DuRussel :

Date: March 22, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

Will chrysler do anything about this?
    This leak happened on an 05 Jeep that I have in the garage! What if I was cross country?
    This is the last Chrysler piece of trash I buy!
    I guarentee my work, they cant guarentee theirs?
    Just cant wait till I do a job for a Chrysler auto employee.

Take pride in what you sell people! Do it right the first time!

2. Danielle Combes :

Date: March 25, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

I completely agree…I currently have a transmission leak on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have had to deal w/ one repair after another. No longer a Chrysler fan and the parts are extremely expensive. They should have a recall for this problem (among others).

3. lashury :

Date: August 29, 2010 @ 11:26 am

yea same here i was on the highway and the leak started happing and now am screwed i cant keep working and fixing this car it is costing me alot and it is all electronic some mechanic can do the job and it cost alot more a basic diagonose

4. lashury :

Date: August 29, 2010 @ 11:28 am

my first jeep cheroke and last call me if u can fix this problem or email cashwear@hotmail.com or 613 6003060

5. chrytech93 :

Date: August 29, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

What’s funny is that the trans (nag1) that has this problem is a mercedes benz tranny.When we replace that electrical connector due to leakage it cames in a “MB original parts” box.The new updated connector and o-rings will fix the leak for good…unless the connector is not tightened properly.

6. cecil :

Date: November 1, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

I have trans that leaking and I found out that it is a mercedes benz parts when are you going to have a recall

7. RB :

Date: November 9, 2010 @ 1:06 am

2007 Jeep Cherokee leaking transmission fluid can anyone apply/fix this in Los Angeles Downtown??

8. Jerry McCullough :

Date: December 17, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

apperntly Dimler didn’t think.
    my 07 magnum 51000 miles is leaking trans fluid. NO DIPSTIK???
    whats this??? Chysler dealer servace SUCKS!!! haven’t found an
    honest one yet. retired machenic and cant fix this without taking it to a dealer??? F— YOU.(sorry but it’s time we got nasty.

9. Matthew :

Date: December 19, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

Great instructions but any chance of a really zoomed out image so we can know where this plug is located?

My 2004 grand cherokee has no gearbox dipstick either.

10. Katie :

Date: January 6, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Thank you very much for this posting the part was bad on my 2006 Grand Cherokee!

11. david :

Date: January 30, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I’m a Chrysler tech i have done over 100 repairs pertaining to this plug. And if your vehicle is under 36,000 mi. and is within the 3yr period you can take it back to where you bought it and it will get fixed for free. Now as far as the NO DIPSTICK dodge, chrysler, jeep and many other brands are going to that it is because the dealer wants to charge you to check your fluid. Well on most dodge, jeep, chrysler transmissions without a dipstick you can still check it yourself. Just get a 2 foot long bass guitar string and make a mark 2 inches from the bottom and if the fluid is at that mark your in the safe range. If your low just ada a half quart to a quart of atf+4.

Date: January 30, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Thanks David. I appreciate the comments and insight you are able to provide from being a dealer tech. I think you’re right about the reason for no dipsticks. “No engine oil dipsticks” seem to be next. For instance, some newer BMW’s have no oil dipsticks… this makes me think that the manufacturer is trying to force more people back to the dealer for service.

Oh, in case some people don’t want to fabricate their own dipstick for Chrysler products, we do sell them on our tool website. :)

13. Dave Morris :

Date: February 2, 2011 @ 11:16 am

This part was under £5.00 from the main stealer. I know, did not think it was possible to buy anything from them for under £50.00.
    However, the leak was just a drip so I thought it was better to do it now before it turned into a real leak.
    Front of grand cherokee up on ramps back end on the floor. Found the plug behind the metal shield, this was out quickly. Oil pan to catch the it of ATF that did run out. Very easy to replace the new part and put the multi pin plug back in. Half hour in all.
    I would like to thamk Jeep /chrysler/Merc for putting this type of gearbox in there….HOW ABOUT A FREAKIN DIPSTICK AS WELL.

TIP..get the weight of the oil that runs out in a plastic bag and replace it with the same weight of new ATF. Mine has a Merc engine and box (NO DIP STICK) hence I put in what came out.

14. Chuck :

Date: February 9, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

This is a 410.51 part in a seal Mercedes transmission….shouldn’t be leaking at 48,000 miles>If it’s a common problem there should be a recall.This cost me $224.00 to be replaced.evidently they have changed the connector And now they use a sealer!

15. Chuck :

Date: February 9, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

OOps $10.51 part…06 grand cherokee…I need to proof read,sorry!

16. Tony :

Date: February 22, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. The Dealer folded up they wanted $600 bucks to fix their screw up.. what crooks. after obummer gave them a cash bail out they split.. Never again will I buy another Jeep unless its old from the 70s I own 3 mercedes and Never had a problem like this.. Thanks for the helpful information the leak has driven me crazy

17. George :

Date: March 7, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

I will never buy chrysler product again. 2005 jeep 42 000 km. new transmission.

18. George :

Date: March 7, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

I will never buy chrysler product again. 2005 jeep 42 000 km. needs a new transmission. They wont help 6 months after warranty expired.

19. Stephen Kennedy :

Date: March 9, 2011 @ 2:42 am

I have changed several of these plugs and more of them in SL500’s than in jeeps but the plug is plastic and it sits in an aluminum trans case- heat and having hot pressurized fluid on it will make anything have issues the plug is very simple to change and all you need is a good set of 1/4″ drive sockets and room to jack up the vehicle plus fluid- the bass guitar string idea is great but I buy tools from this sight and get the dip stick at some time I even have to buy them just to check the fluid from time to time in customer vehicles- get a good handheld scan tool like the ones on denlors.com you will get trans codes in p0700 range for shorted connections also due to this connector but these vehicles are repairable and enjoyable to drive you bought a Jeep but get a few years old high end mercedes benz technology under that hood it does have benefits just equip your tool box properly

20. fatimah :

Date: March 28, 2011 @ 10:24 am

will this also work on a 2006 jeep grand cherokee 3.7 liter

Date: March 28, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Fatimah, Any Jeep or Chrysler trans that has this type of connector.

22. mkiernan :

Date: April 20, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

i noticed the leak under my jeep grand cherokee 3.7ltr today, jacked it up and thought it was the pan,
    after i removed the tin cover and found the plug and looked around i decided to search and the first web page i found was this and it has solved my problem straight away.
    thank you.
    p.s. i love my jeep and this is my second one and i will buy another.

23. Corey Crum :

Date: June 15, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

I am having the same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee. However, when I call my local Jeep dealer they tell me that they do not have such a part and I need to replace my sensor to fix the leak. I explained to them how I read about this online and they still insist that there is no electrical connector housing and they recommend me bringing my Jeep in for them to repair it. Sounds like a scam to me. Where can I get the part that you used because my Jeep dealer obviously isn’t going to sell me one.

Date: June 15, 2011 @ 2:08 pm

Google – Mopar/Chrysler part #68021352AA. See below, available for $6-8.

Mopar 68021352AA

25. Tyler :

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Will this work on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee? I’ve had a small leak for YEARS. I’ll have to look tonight when I get home.
    Tyler

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Tyler, could be your problem. The vehicle in the article is a 2007 Grand Cherokee. Good Luck.

27. Tyler :

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Yes, I saw that. I just didn’t know if someone had tried on an older model. Again, I’ll look tonight.

Thanks for the quick response to an old blog.
    T

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Tyler, a 1997 is not going to have the same type of connector. Look for leakeage around the pan seal, also the neutral safety switch was common on older models.

29. Tyler :

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Where can I find the neutral safety switch? Is it in the same location (or close) to where the connector is on an ’07? Reading up on this it seems it is pretty common no matter the year.

Date: July 25, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

I would look for the leak and then go from there. The switch I’m talking about has an electrical connector that goes to it but is not the same as the one in this repair article. Good Luck

31. Brad Lacey :

Date: September 19, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

2001 jeep GCL

I have the same issue with the tranny leak. I just took mine to the shop a few months ago and noticed it was leaking. So I know it is not the gasket. The leak is coming from the transmission harness, which plugs into just over top of the tranny pan on the driver’s side.

I am heading to auto zone to see if they have the part and let you know how it goes.

32. Brad Lacey :

Date: September 19, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

2001 jeep GCL 4×4

OK that was an easy fix! The part can purchased at Auto Zone! Keep in mind you need to know what type of Tranny you have. This year has two types and was impossible to locate on the Bell. So I called the dealer and gave them the last 9 digits of my Vin Number. The two types are 42RE (mine) and 45RFE. Note you will lose about 1/2 quart of Tranny fluid when you replace the part. So a good idea to replace what you lost:)

The only tool you will need is a wrench. Pretty easy fix and will monitor over the next few days. However, I dont think I will see another leak as I am 99.9% sure issue resolved.

33. Darryl :

Date: November 17, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

Great info and instructions. One question tho…I have found that putting the new part with the new O-rings in is difficult to get properly seated. And I don’t want to put too much pressure and push too hard, and end up bending one of the pins in there. But, if I put the old O-rings on the new part, it seats in perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any suggestions on how to get the new O-rings to seat in there properly??

Date: November 17, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

Darryl, re-using the old o-rings may cause a leak. If I remember correctly it only goes on one way, just be careful and go for it. Good Luck.

35. Darryl :

Date: November 18, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Thanks Dennis, I’m gonna get back under there this morning and give it another try. BTW, do you have a part # for the Tranny dipstick? I have a 2006 JGC Laredo 4WD, NAG1 tranny,3.7l eng., and would like to purchase one from your store. Thanks.

Date: November 18, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Darryl, Yes. It’s the Assenmacher (pronounced OSH-IN MOCKER) is a German company that makes high quality automotive tools, the dipstick PN is CRY933 DLT and is available on our main tool website. It comes with the chart to help in measuring the ATF fluid properly. That’s something that the more expensive Miller brand (that the car repair manuals refer to by part number) does NOT have. Thanks!

37. Verlene :

Date: November 21, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Excellent information, I recently had the gasket around the pan replaced, still leaks. In the meantime, I moved and had to take my 2007 Jeep to another mechanic and they told me it was the electrical harness that connects to the transmission and it was going to cost nearly $400 to repair it. Thanks for posting this article, very informative.

38. jim :

Date: December 3, 2011 @ 10:28 pm

Thanks to all of you, great info.

39. Karen :

Date: December 7, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

This was so helpful….I have 2007 Grand Jeep Laredo and I’ve been quoted high quotes in reference to repairing this leak. I had the gasket replaced around the pan and it still leaks. I was told that it was the case connector and it will cost around $1200.00. Is this reasonable? THANKS for CARING and SHARING….

Date: December 7, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Karen, if it is the electrical connector
    like below, it should be around a $100 or less.

Google – Mopar/Chrysler part #68021352AA. See below, available for $6-8.

Mopar 68021352AA

If it is a case seal, then $1200 might be about right. Good Luck.

41. mark :

Date: December 26, 2011 @ 2:48 am

Is this the same part number for the 2001 gc limited v8? I have been quoted 180.00 for the repair but they said if I could find the part cheaper they would install it for 40 bucks. Keep in mind my wife will be getting this done as for I am deployed right now.. also had the trans pan gasket replaced. So this has to be the next culprit of the leak?

Date: December 26, 2011 @ 6:47 am

Mark, thanks for visiting the blog and especially for serving. Unfortunately, this part is not used on the older Grand Cherokees. There could be a park position sensor that leaking or something like that but without seeing it we won’t know for sure. You may have her take the vehicle to a different shop recommended by family or friends that can provide a second estimate for the repair. That way you’ll know if the price is in line with what it should be. Good Luck.

43. Joe :

Date: December 29, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

Dennis-For some reason the 7mm screw will not come out to remove the old connector. I don’t know if something is broke in there or what the problem is, but the screw still has pressure on it but just turns and turns.

Date: December 30, 2011 @ 6:18 am

Joe, stripped threads? I would hold outward pressure while loosening the screw to the left. If this doesn’t work a visit to a repair shop may be needed. Good Luck.

45. BSG :

Date: January 6, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

I have the same leak issue on a 07 GC.
    How do you disconnect the plug and remove the wiring.You have to do this to get to the bolt and remove the electrical connector.
    I pulled the tin heat shield and removed the little black plastic cover from the wires. Tried pulling and twisting with no luck?
    Suggestions??

Date: January 6, 2012 @ 12:52 pm

If I remember correctly it unscrews. You should be able to look at the replacement part to verify though. Good Luck.

47. curtis :

Date: February 2, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

I just changed mine twice (the plug that is) to remove this potential problem from my leaking transmission.

the steps to remove the plug are a bit tricky to say the lease. here they are form recent experience last week.

1. remove the tin shield via a single 9 or 10 (dont recall) mm bolt.

2. notice that the wires coming from the vehicle computer are connected via a tie wrap to a black tab on the connector. These wire and tap should be at about 10 0-clock when looking at the connector. In effect they are at the highest point that they can go if you are were to try and turn the connector clockwise before they intersect with the tranny body.

3. no notice the TAN color tab that is also in alignment with the wire harness when is tie wrapped to the black tab of the connector mentioned in point no. 2. It should be in alignment or fully clockwise!

4. next, remove the cover that fits on the end of the black connector with a small screw driver (it just pops off with little force). this cover keeps dirt and gunk out of the wires that traverse through the connector. You will notice a small tap on it that is also in direct alignment with the wires from the harnesses that go into the connector, the TAN tap on the Tan Ring, and the tip-wrap.

5. now you are ready to release the black connector yet wait, its most likely a bit dirty from road and oil gunk. so use some break cleaner or ECC (electrical contact cleaner and spray with the spay tube all around the connector and especially the 360 degrees where the Tan Ring sits on the black connector. This will clear out the gunk and allow you to more easily rotate the Tan 360 degree locking ring.

6. pull down on the EAR Tan tab on the 360 degree TAN locking ring to the counter clockwise position. it should pull all the way down to a 4 0-Clock position and then stop. NOTICE THAT WHILE DOING THIS THE INNER BLACK CONNECTOR which the wires connect to DOES NOT ROTATE, YET IT DOES MOVE OUTWARDS FROM THE CONNECTOR which releases it from the the mail pins in the tranny from the female receiving holes in the connector connected to the wiring harness. If you find this TAN EAR and thus ring to be difficult to turn then try some more cleaner. mine was very dirty and hard to turn at 1st. Also, dont pull on the black wiring harness where the tie-wrap is. it is meant to be stationary. You can look at the new plug that you just purchased and get an idea of how this thing works. effectively the black plug is NON-Rotating nor is the wiring harness plug that goes inside it. The ONLY thing that rotates is the TAN 360 dec ring with tab. The inner part of this Tan ring has a thread looking profile which connected to the 3 (maybe its 4) pins on back leading edges of the wiring harness black plug. So, when you disconnect and re-connect both black pieces (wiring harness plug) and the new black sealing plug with the 2 x new black o-rings on it plus the rotating Tan 360 deg ring/ear only go into the tranny in a non-rotating manner, i.e. directly in by way of turning the Tan ring to actually press them together.

If the Tanny still has ATF in it, get ready for it (with a catch container) to come out here or in step no. 9.

7. you should now be able to fully remove the wiring harness inner plug from the outer new plug you are going to change out. pull it out, clean it with break cleaner and or ECC and put it up out of the way, say over another wiring harness.

8. you are ready to remove the black plug with a 7 mm socket. before you do….NOTICE JUST HOW FAR IN THE PLUG GOES BEFORE IT STOPPED OR SOLDERS OUT TO THE TRANNY. YOU CAN USE A TAPE MEASURE TO MEASURE FROM THE TRANNY TO THE END OF THE PLUG WHICH IS THE END OF THE TAN 360 DEG RING. you will need a short handle socket or a flex socket as room is tight. get onto the screw and unscrew it. once unscrewed it will simply rotate but wont come out as there is a cir clip holding it into the inner part of the plug. check your new plug to see this.

9. now simply pull out this plug. NOT SO EASY really as it has two o-rings on it and most likely some crud/gunk around it. you may need to use a screw driver and lever against the Tan ear tab or the another profile on the black part of the plug to get it out.

10. once out, you should see the issue with this plug. it has Tan silicon o-rings instead of black nitro (??) type ones. The old silicon ones should show some flattening which is the cause of the leak. i.e. its not the plug, its the o-rings on the plug in my opinion. Im in the Oil Biz and work with downhole (in the well tools) that have tons of O-rings and this to me appears from experience to be the issue.

11. now that all is removed, clean up up the inner boar of the tranny hole where the plug was. you can feel the male pins inside, maybe 8-10 of them.

12. now do the opposite to put the new outer plug in.

13. put some ATF on the plug and o-rings of the new plug. Align the tan tab to the fully counter clockwise position. now press the plug into the tranny hole and feel it click into place (1-2 mm depth). once in, you will need to press it in another 1/4″ (7-9 mm) or so. be sure the plug is lined up as it only goes straight in, NO ROTATION. as in stop no. 8, the plug should go in by hand to the shoulder point of the tranny. I had to use a piece of wood to leaver in the plug as the new o-rings are much harder and tighter to press into the tranny hole. be carefull when levering to be perfectly square on the plug when doing this if required.

14. tighten the 7 mm inside screw. dont over tighten! im not sure of the torque specs

15. now you are ready to insert the electrical plug. This can be tricky (was for me until i realized how this thing worked). This plug does not turn! keep that in mind and you will realize it must be placed in its home or final rotational position when inserting. THIS POSITION IS ABOUT 10 0-CLOCK WHERE IT WAS WHEN YOU TOOK IT OUT! So start it back at this location. when you do, the black tab, tie-wrap and wire harness from it should be facing up at 10 0-clock. now the trick is to get the 3-4 tabs on this plug started into the tan ring. FOR THIS TO HAPPEN, THE TAN RING EAR MUST BE FACING DOWN AT 4 0-CLOCK! thats the tricky part. Jiggle both the plug and tan ring until you are able to press in about 1-3 mm’s! bingo, you did it and are ready to rotate ONLY the tan ear tab and its ring clockwise (up). when doing this you will notice that the electrical black plug is magically sucked (pressed) into the new o-ringed plug that you just changed! walla you win!

16. now all 4 items are fully aligned again; the Tan ear on the Tan ring, the electrical cable harness coming from the cable plug, the tap on this plug, and the tie-wraps………all should be at about 10 0-clock and in the fully clockwise position.

17. press the round black cover onto the end of the plug with its opening at 10 0-clock to let it go over the wires. it just snaps in with little to no force.

18. replace the tin cover.

19. insure the wire harness is not touching any hot parts like the muffler or tranny. it has a heat shield on it, but still better its not touching anything.

20. fill your tranny, i think it is around 4.1 Quarts.

21. try to check the level as suggested by Dennisb with a 24″ wire or non OEM dip stick. i purchased one but was never able to see any oil so i must have another problem with my unit. I believe you check it in Neutral and for sure it must be hot, so run through the gears or drive it a short distance to warm things up.

Disclaimer: This was not proofed, not am i a transmission expert. I can just turn a wrench and read. I do have a Mech Engr Degree and worked on vehicles during my college days. I make no claims of the accuracy of this information at all! Use it at your own risk. I do hope it helps as i did this procedure twice and got the hang of it upon detailed investigation how this plug system goes together. mine does not leak anymore; however, i still have a leak somewhere which is now over my head. it leaks from the breather and around the bell housing. so im taking it to a tranny shop today 2/2/12. Good luck, C

Date: February 2, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Curtis, Thanks for the time you’ve taken to share what you’ve learned!

49. curtis :

Date: February 2, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

After changing the most common leak in this tranny twice and see that its NOT leaking…..I still have a leaking Tranny.

It leaks from the top of the Bell housing connection that is connected to the Tranny side.

We thought it was an issue of overfilling with yet the 24″ non OEM purchased dipstick does not even read at 24″ let alone 22″.

We tie-wrapped a zip lock back onto the breather hose to see if its coming out of the hose. it did and we got back about 1/4″ of oil on one occasion and have not tried that again.

I put in 8 Quarts which is a full fill (Torque converter and all), thus the thinking of overfilling.

If it was overfilled, maybe the rear tranny seal has blown and its leaking from it. if so,

1. why is the leak coming from the top of the bell housing
    2. why is the breather leaking
    3. why is the dip stick not reading any oil at 24″ long?

Any help is appreciated.
    c

Date: February 2, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Curtis,

1. Generally speaking; leaks appearing to be coming from the bell housing area could be from a leaky front pump seal or from a transmission seam. Transmission housings are sometimes bolted together with silicone sealing the seam. This is usually on 4×4 or FWD models though. Another possibility is it is just residue that is from fluid coming out of the vent tube.

2. Typically breather tubes can have ATF coming out when; A. The vent is partially clogged B. The fluid is overheated C. The fluid is over-filled.

Also it seems to me a long time ago I had an ASE test question that indicated that “low fluid” could cause excessive aeration resulting in fluid foaming out of the vent. In my experience, if filling the transmission too quickly or without the engine running, fluid will come out of the vent tube. Once after installing a used transmission, I wanted to put several quarts in before starting the engine and I ended up with fluid coming out the vent.

3. Fluid not reading on the dipstick on a vehicle that is at normal operating temperature… has to be low on fluid. I know of no other reason.

I would use a scan tool to determine the temperature to eliminate the possibility of overheating. I would wash everything off and use UV dye if needed to further pinpoint the source of any fluid loss. Good Luck.

51. curtis :

Date: February 2, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Dennis, many thanks, C

52. Steve Hook :

Date: February 19, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Hi All….Im in the UK have the same oil leak on a 2003 Grand Chereokee 2.7 crd looked up the part no 68021352aa but does not show as a 2.7 part any ideas or will it fit….thanks Steve

Date: February 19, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Steve, it’s my guess that the Grand Cherokee 2.7 *CRD most likely uses the same transmission as the gasoline engines use. The part should be the same. Someone at a Jeep dealer should be able to verify the application. Good Luck

*For our readers, the “CRD” acronym stands for Common Rail Diesel-injection.

54. Steve Hook :

Date: February 19, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for the fast response. found out that the 2.7 crd was fitted with a 722.6 merc auto box & the part listed above equates to a merc part A203 540 0253….just ordered one from e bay here in the UK….Is any ATF+4 suitable for the auto box? all the best Steve

55. Kimo :

Date: March 21, 2012 @ 1:59 pm

BEST POST EVER!!!! Just want to say Thank You. Like most I thought it was the pan/ gasket ect…. Was about to spend $$$$ I really didn’t have. Really Appreciate It, Thanks!!!

Date: March 21, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Kimo, Glad it helped.

57. Jeff C :

Date: March 26, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Dennis, I have an ’03 Jeep Liberty exhibiting and on and off small trans leak. Would this likely be what you have been discussing about the elec housing part? We are leaving for a 200 mile trip Monday for vaca is it safe to do so. Trans leaks about the size of a quarter, somedays nothing.

Date: March 26, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Jeff, Jeep Commanders and Grand Cherokees are the ones that have the Mercedes style transmissions and this type of wiring connector. The most common leaks on the Liberty are the pan seal (an easy fix) and on a 4×4 model could be a housing seal on the transfer case (hard). I would have it looked at before leaving and get an opinion. It is much more of a pain to have the vehicle fixed while on vacation. Good Luck.

59. Jeff C :

Date: March 26, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

THX, Dennis, you’re a good man!

60. Tony :

Date: April 7, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

My 2007 Jeep GC had a small leak which turned into a bigger one. You were spot on with what it was. It was the electrical plug. Sadly enough, there is no recall for this. There probably won’t be one in the near future either. So much transmission fluid leaked out that it was hard to do it myself. I was sort of forced to go to the dealer. The part itself was only $15, but it was low on transmission fluid and the little it had was turning black. So a flush was recommended. The total cost for the replacement part and flush was a total of $400. I wonder how much Chrysler has made from this mistake.

61. Brian D :

Date: May 16, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

Hello there. I have a 2006 jeep cherokee and the shop is telling me they have to replace the connector plate, case rod and the o-ring for almost $800. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks

Date: May 16, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Brian, things do add up quickly. All I’ve had to replace before was the connector, but anything is possible. Good Luck.

63. Darlene :

Date: May 21, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Thanks so much for being here. Purchased my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee used last October (had a new Jeep in 2004, Loved it). Started a tranny leak very sporatic, took in said gasket, still issue, thought bolts, still sporadic leak. thought this is weird, drive Jeep then 5 days later see leak on driveway. I know this is the problem. Simple and fixable. Taking in tomorrow to be resolved. No cost to me where I go. Thanks to everyone, if it comes out different will inform this Forum.

64. Rasmus :

Date: July 12, 2012 @ 7:47 am

thanks for posting all this. Quick question. Does my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo also have this type of plug. This leak is killing me.

thanks

Date: July 12, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Rasmus, I think the 2000 would be to old to have this type connector. You might have a neutral safety switch leaking above the pan though. Just have to clean and recheck to see where it’s coming from. Use dye and a light if needed. Good Luck

Date: September 8, 2012 @ 1:15 am

2007 jeep Cherokee has power put will not start, indicator flashes trans temp overheat very quickly on the display, dealership suggested to unplug this sensor and see if it will start, this sensor sounds like the same park position sensor described in one of your earlier blogs, is this correct?

Date: September 8, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Chris, I would check for transmission trouble codes and also check to see if there’s a leak there. Look to see if there’s any other plugs going anywhere else on the trans. I would need to refer to a repair manual like ALLData to learn more about the the temp circuit. But, if the fluid has shorted across the terminals it could cause strange things to occur like you’re describing. Again the first step is to use a simple code reader to see if there’s codes related to the transmission. Good Luck.

Date: September 8, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

What was happening 4 months ago was it would all of a sudden not start, leave it over night and it would start, took it to dealership and they ran through codes and could not figure it out. Stop acting up and now after four months it did it again but this time it is locked out completely and is again flashing tramsmission temp over heat. Is the sensor described in the earlier blog also the transmission sensor and park neutral sensor? I was told to unplug the transmission sensor and see if it would start

Date: September 8, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Chris, since it is acting up now I would scan for codes. I don’t see how unplugging a trans temp sensor would allow the engine to start. Could be a bus communications issue, but you should have a code in that case.

Date: September 8, 2012 @ 11:18 pm

Thanks, when I turn the key off after trying to start, this is when the transmission temp overheat flashes very quickly on the display, have you seen this before

71. Ally :

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 10:50 am

Hey Dennis,

I have a 2005 Grand Jeep Cherokee and on the way to work my transmission decided to only stay in low gear. No leak was detected under the car on the engine etc. When I checked the transmission fluid I needed to add some and then it runs fab. I have started travling with a quart of fluid just in case. What are your thoughts on my situation?

72. Ally :

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 10:51 am

The shop that changes my oil and maintenance on my vehicle can’t find anything

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Ally, unless the fluid is really low, it shouldn’t affect shifting. Transmission fluid doesn’t evaporate or burn – it can only leak. Remember that checking the fluid should be done when the engine is running and the fluid is warm, not hot or upon cold start up. I would check for fault codes to see if there’s a problem with a shift solenoid, speed sensor etc. Good Luck.

74. Tactical :

Date: October 10, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info Dennis. I will try this tomorrow, hoping it’ll work. Just hoped that you had a video as well on how to do it.

Date: October 11, 2012 @ 7:15 am

No video, just free info. Good Luck.

76. ariel :

Date: October 31, 2012 @ 1:43 am

I have a 2006 JEEP LAREDO. Transmission has no slip but shudders going up hill and at certain RPMS. It goes away if I let off the gas pedal and if I accelerate quickly. I did notice the leaks as you’ve been stating in the comments above. Leaks under the tranfercase as you were all talking about. I’m thinking my leak is the same. I am hoping the shudder is due to low fluid and hopefully not the torque converter. The Jeep has over 100k now so I doubt there’s a warranty for the converter. Honestly, I think Jeep is junk. I was told to drain the fluid myself, run the car, then do a second drain with filter change and the transmission shudder may be resolved. I don’t think the trans. has been flushed at all since I bought it in 2007.

Date: October 31, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Ariel, please unlock caps when commenting in the future (I’ve fixed them in your above comment).

The first thing I would do is check the fluid level and condition. You need a dipstick to do this. The plug/cap should be located in the top of the transmission dipstick tube where the dipstick is normally at. Look by the engine oil dip stick, there’s a little black cap which may say for “dealer use only”.

Chrysler - Mercedes Trans Dipstick Cap

Click below for the lower than dealer cost alternative transmission dipstick for sale now. It comes with complete instructions.

If the fluid is dark, I would prefer to do a transmission flush. A flush exchanges ALL the fluid including what’s in the converter. The method that someone told you will work too, however it will not change a 100% of the fluid. As for the transfer case leak, that is not what we’ve talked about in the blog. A transfer case is only for 4X4 vehicles and is located behind the transmission. It can have a leak also, just not related to the electrical plug. Usually the common leak in the transfer case is the seam where the housing is assembled together. First thing is first thogh, get a dipstick and go from there. Good Luck.

78. Robin :

Date: November 23, 2012 @ 4:39 am

Dennis, you are a Godsend man. Thanks for a very helpful site.

79. Todd :

Date: November 27, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

I had the NAG connector on my 2006 GC replaced and picked it up today. When I picked it up the ESP light and the Traction control light ( the one with the little car and squiggly lines) and BAS indicator lights were on. The dealership acted like I was lying and those lights were on when I dropped it off. Is there a chance they unplugged something by accident while changed the NAG connector? This is the 2nd time I have had to do this. My jeep has 226,000 miles on it

Date: November 27, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Todd, could be a coincidence. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to recheck the work to make sure the pins have not been bent. The ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and Traction control light may come on temporarily when the wheels spin. I would scan for codes though just to double check. There’s also a reset procedure for 2008 – not sure if it applies to your 2006. Click the following for more information on disabling and resetting it. ESP Resetting.

81. Scott :

Date: December 7, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

dennisb, excellent post! I have a 2007 GC and plan to replace this connector tomorrow morning. It has been leaking for about a year now off and on. I replaced the pan gasket and filter a few weeks ago and the leak is still there. I hope this fixes it.

I do have one question….How much ATF will I lose when i pull the connector out? I’m planning to have the front of the car on stands so it seems like most of the fluid would be towards the back of the tranny.

Date: December 7, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

Scott, Thanks. You won’t lose very much. I’s say less than a quart. Good Luck.

83. James :

Date: December 15, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

Hello there , I have the same problem with my 2005 Jeep GC 3.7 V6 … Does anyone know the right part number for this trans connector. Jeep dealer has it as 680483 AA for $57 for 12 wires ? Also has one with 18 wires?

chrysler has it as part #
    Chrysler – #68021352AA

Mercedes – #A 203 540 02 53

Anybody ?

Date: December 16, 2012 @ 8:33 am

James, I would count the wires and go from there. Good Luck.

85. joebox :

Date: January 16, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Dennis the problem curtis had “fluid comming out the vent” could indicate water in the transmission turning to steam pushing fluid out. this is a fire hazard as indicated in the ac water into transmission recall on some jeeps.

86. Dave :

Date: January 18, 2013 @ 10:01 am

If I payed my mechanic 195.00 to fix this, did he rip me off or is that a fair price?

Date: January 18, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Dave prices vary from shop to shop. Probably about right though.

88. chris :

Date: January 21, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

I have a 1996 jeep Cherokee sport, it runs great. I have a four wheel drive transmission, the truck is only two wheel drive. I had a leak on the pan, so
    i changed filter and gasket. Know my transmission leaks from the back over the cross member. What do i do? Aloha

Date: January 22, 2013 @ 6:50 am

Chris regardless of the type of transmission you have; sounds like the seam may be leaking where the housings meet. This requires dis-assembly and re-sealing if that’s the case. For no charge or a very small fee a transmission shop will look at it, pinpoint the leak and provide a repair estimate. Good Luck.

Date: February 3, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

Can you just buy the three o-rings from an auto part store?

Date: February 3, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Mike, I would probably just buy the OE type, since it’s not expensive and the likelihood of getting the correct size o-rings matched up would not be very good. Good Luck.

92. Shawna :

Date: March 3, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

Ello Dennis~
    I have a 2005 JGC Laredo. A block from my house yesterday I started smelling something odd. Got home and looked and there on/in the front passenger side next to the wheel were these not so lovely red drips of tranny fluid. A couple drips ok, but 2 saucer size puddles formed within maybe a min. The underneath side near the wheel well is wet from the fluid also. Never had a leak before this. I am hoping that it is one of the hoses and how to check. Any ideas?

Date: March 3, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

I would make sure the fluid is full and run the engine. The get underneath and see where is coming from (be careful of hot exhaust and moving components). If too hard to tell because fluid is everywhere, I would clean first and then recheck. Good Luck.

94. Hal :

Date: March 27, 2013 @ 4:27 am

Lubed the new orings good now the 7mm wont screw down. I didn’t force it. I think its because the plug isn’t going in all the way.

Date: March 27, 2013 @ 7:26 am

I would try it without the oring just to make sure the threads aren’t damaged. If the threads are not damaged I would put the oring back on and try again. Good Luck.

96. Alanna :

Date: April 14, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

I have a 05 JGC laredo with a transmission leak. I found your site and my husband changed the electrical connector housing plug. It was the cause of the leak but Now my transmission isnt changing gears. He filled the transmission back up with new ATF 4 fluid. Any ideas?

Date: April 15, 2013 @ 7:13 am

Alanna, the most likely cause is low fluid level. Checking the level with a dipstick at operating temperature is the way to make sure the fluid is within the proper range. Good Luck.

Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission dip stick

98. Alanna :

Date: April 15, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

The fluid was low added more but still not shifting gears. Also the check engine light is on.

Date: April 16, 2013 @ 7:50 am

Alanna, I would scan the vehicle to find out what the CEL (Check Engine Light) is on for. It’s possibly a code for a bad connection at the plug that was just worked on. That might explain why the transmission won’t shift, if one of the terminals was broken or otherwise out of position causing no connection. Good Luck.

100. mike uk grand cherokee 2004. 2.7 diesel :

Date: April 23, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Hi.Dennis. Where can I get a dipstick for gearbox. Sometimes after I reverse out the garage nothing happens when I shift to Drive. The tube from the gearbox does not have any termination its just open. My garage has ordered a part and will fix soon. Still one of the best cars I’ve had though and I don’t want to get rid of it.
    Regards. MIKE. UK

Date: April 24, 2013 @ 7:28 am

Hello Mike. We ship within the USA. Some of our customers use Bongo freight forwarding for hard items to get in certain countries outside the USA. Good Luck.

102. Brian :

Date: May 7, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Hi. I have a 2005 with leaking fluid. I changed the pan gasket, but still leaking. I will try this fix when I get the part, but I am now getting an over temp warning. Could this plug be the cause? The light came on shortly after I started the jeep, within 3 minutes, so I know it couldn’t be that hot yet, I’m thinking something electrical, but I don’t know if this connector could be the problem?

Date: May 8, 2013 @ 7:08 am

It’s possible. Since the leak needs to be fixed, I would try repairing that first. Clean and dry the terminals within the plug so there’s no chance of shorting across the terminals. Good luck.

104. Alex Souza :

Date: May 14, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

Nice post, I have read almost all coments and lie down under my car to check the plug, unfortunatly mine is ok, not leaking. I have checked my transmission and oil is leaking by the right side (opposite side of plug) and it seems to come from the top, not sure. There is a cylindric part above the gear box that I don’t know what is. Any comments regarding other kind of leaking on this Cherokee/Benz transmission? Thank you

Date: May 14, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

Alex, the best thing to do is go to the dealership and have the parts guy bring up a parts breakdown for your particular vehicle. Could be a rubber seal around a speed sensor. A good parts man can help determine what part may need replacing as long as you can point it out. The breakdown may look like the one below (both # 9’s are speed sensors, input and output).

Trans external parts breakdown.

106. Alex Souza :

Date: May 15, 2013 @ 9:17 am

Dennis, I’d like to thank you by answering my post. I took the car into the car shop for a check and they said the leak is not from the gear box but from a sensor located right in front of the common rail which is leaking over the engine and dropping on the transmission.

I have a Land Rover program here to locate parts to my Defender however I don’t know which one I should use for Jeep parts. Which one do you recommend? Thanks again.

Date: May 15, 2013 @ 9:30 am

Alex, I would Google the part that you are looking for. There are many parts websites that can assist you. Good Luck.

108. Jason Lee :

Date: June 13, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Just wanted to thank you for the informative post on here. It was the first thing that came up when researching my 2006 Grand Cherokee transmission leak. ~$25 and about a half hour of labor later the leak is fixed.

109. Cheryl :

Date: August 22, 2013 @ 3:00 pm

My daughter has a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has an oil leak at the top back of the engine. Could it be a valve cover gasket or is there another common problem? Oh and I printed out your response about the transmission leak. Her trans leak right now is small but it almost appears to be seeping through the pan. The pan is rusted and paint peeling.

Date: August 22, 2013 @ 3:32 pm

The valve cover gasket is a common problem/leak. The trans pan actually leaking through the metal is not common. It can be checked easily by cleaning it with brake clean spray and drying it with compressed air and rechecking to see where the fluid is coming from. If it leaks too slowly to check this way, a UV dye can be added and then checked with a UV light to see where the leak is coming from. Good Luck.

111. alex :

Date: May 16, 2014 @ 2:57 pm

Hi! I have a 08 jeep commander 3.7 AWD. My dash would read “TRANS OVER TEMP”. The truck runs great shifts gears on-time. The problem is that when I was driving on the freeway a couple of weeks ago apperently it was shooting some tranny fluid out the upper Breather hose that caused the fluid to burn on the exhaust causing smoke behind the rear of the truck along the way. I have dropped the tranny pan changed the filter, gasket and trans oil. I also cleaned out the trannys thermostat that sits inside an aluminum block by the passenger side next to the engine where the ins/out lines connect… long story short. It’s still leaking fluid from that upper breather… Can it be a faulty thermostat that is not opening up for the fluid to pass thats causing it to overheat? Maybe a bad Cooler? Maybe the breather, Or perhaps the Radiator not working properly? Any feedback close to possible fix would be appreciated… it only leaks when driving on the freeway…

Date: May 16, 2014 @ 3:21 pm

Alex, this is a not so common problem with the Commander. Usually Commanders are known for broken inside door handles and as far as the transmission usually just leaky trans cooler lines. Your problem with the fluid going out the breather hose (vent hose) is usually caused by 1. Air getting into the system causing foaming or 2. Excessive heat usually caused from heat transfer from the radiator coolant portion to the transmission fluid which also travels through the radiator. When the fluid overheats it expands and goes out the vent hose. Towing a lot of weight with hot outside temps could also cause this. If the engine temperature is not getting too hot and there’s no blockage of the radiator; the problem is most likely within the trans. The transmission thermostat would make sense. I would be very interested if that resolves your issue. Good Luck.

113. Chris C :

Date: May 29, 2014 @ 11:54 am

I have changed the connector with orings twice and had my fluid level checked at dealer multiple times. My 06 300c doesent leak at connector it leaks out of breather and doesn’t stop till its 3 QTS low. Dealer is dumbfounded. I have seen other people with same problem but no one tells the fix.
    I am an experienced mechanic. I can visually see the oil come out the breather and streak down the side.I have cleaned and reconfirmed this many times.
    Can anyone help?

114. Chris C :

Date: May 29, 2014 @ 2:18 pm

The transmission has been leaking out of the breather for four years and fifty thousand miles.I just regularly have it filled at the dealer. Also it leaks worse the harder you drive the car. It leaks out of the breather. My dealer has verified this also.

Date: May 29, 2014 @ 2:49 pm

I would check the temperature that the fluid is getting up to. It’s possible it’s getting too hot and overflowing. Good Luck.

116. Denlors Auto Blog » Blog Archive Jeep Grand Cherokee – Overheating Problems | Denlors Auto Blog :

Date: July 16, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

[…] Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Fluid Leak – Common Leak […]

117. Marissab :

Date: July 21, 2014 @ 2:10 am

Good day, I have a 2.7 CRD Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. It seems to be leaking oil from the breather. When one holds your hand against the breather it creates small amounts of white smoke. What could be the problem or is this ok on diesel Mercedes engines. The vehicle is not using oil or smoking from its exhaust

Date: July 21, 2014 @ 7:16 am

As long as it’s not losing oil (and you don’t have to add) I wouldn’t be concerned. Good Luck.

119. Marissab :

Date: July 22, 2014 @ 4:32 am

Thank you very much for the feedback.

120. melanie :

Date: December 14, 2014 @ 4:28 am

We have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo 4.7 litre that has just starting heavily leaking ATF and puddling under the car. Would this fix work for this year and model?

Date: December 14, 2014 @ 9:06 am

No, it’s a completely different transmission. Could look to see where the fluid seems to be coming from though. Most likely a pan gasket/seal. Look for clean areas where the fluid has been tracking. Good Luck.