Jeep Inside Handles

After playing click full screen.

Car Tools & More

Auto Tool/Repair Blog
Northstar Studs?
Car Heater Broken?
Protecting Air Tools
A/C Troubleshooting
Ford Thread Repair
Broken Spark Plugs
Laser Alignment

Dodge Ram Low Air Flow from AC Vents

12:06 pm Air Conditioning, How To Auto Repair

© DenLorsTools.com  Summary: This article is about Dodge Ram pick up trucks that have a common air-flow problem with the HVAC (Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning) system. The problem causes little heat (or AC depending the time of the year) to flow through the vents. The blower fan can typically be heard with no abnormal sounds, although no air seems to be making it out of  the vents. We go over parts that need to be removed to gain access to replace a common failed component.

A common problem for the Dodge Ram pick up truck is to have low airflow even though the blower fan can be heard loud and strong. Usually the problem is because of a broken fresh air door – AKA recirculate door. The fresh air door is located behind the glove box area. What can happen is the door can break and fall down covering the blower fan, essentially sealing off  all air-flow. That’s why the blower can sound normal on all speeds, but little air can be felt from the vents. The broken door below shows the point at which the break is common.

8/17/2012 Update *Important – since this article was first written we have discovered and started selling a kit that allows the repair to be done right in the vehicle. Click on the image to the left for more information on the replacement door kit. The replacement door has steel construction instead of the weak composite material used from the factory. So it’s built to last. The kit works on 2002-08 Dodge Ram pick up trucks. Installation is done after removing the glove box – the dash does NOT have to be removed.

In the image below, the x’s mark most of the trim pieces that need to be removed to gain access to bolts which hold the dash. One that is not marked is on the top of the dash, it’s the large trim panel which is not visible in the picture. This can be an easy job to do at home since the air conditioning system does not have to be discharged. In fact nothing on the firewall side has to be disturbed.

Note that the steering coloumn is unbolted and allowed to drop down and is not unbolted at the steering coupler. Undo the stop light switch to prevent stress on the wiring when the dash is swung.

Once the trim panels are out of the way, it’s fairly easy to find the bolts that need to be removed to pull the dash. The fresh air door or recirculate door assembly located directly behind the glove box can now be accessed. There’s only two Phillips screws securing it to the case. After removing those, unplug the actuator and give the door assembly a slight tug. Be sure to remove any debris from the blower fan cage before installing the replacement door assembly. The picture below shows how far the dash has to be pulled back to remove the door assembly – notice it is actually removed.
Below the new door assembly can be seen back in position and the dash can now be re-installed.
Reverse the removal process of the securing bolts and trim panels and the job is done.

The tips in this article are very basic and NOT intended to be a complete guide for servicing your AC system. Please refer to a repair manual for further instructions.

Related Car Repair Articles and Products

Basic Car AC Gauge Set Hook-Up

Adding Freon to Car AC – Gauge Readings Explained

Car AC Not Blowing Cold Air – Charging Tips and FAQ’s

Other AC Articles

Please reference this auto repair article when quoting, linking to this page is welcomed and appreciated. If you are new to linking a page. 1. Left click the link; to highlight 2. Right click, select copy 3. Right click and paste to forum, blog web page etc. Thanks! Disclaimer: Auto repair information/tips are designed for informational purposes only, without warranty of any kind, in no event shall the author of this site be liable for any consequential, incidental or direct damages sustained in the course of using the information in this article. © DenLorsTools.com all rights reserved, DMCA filing actions will be carried out against scraper sites that steal our content.

Be Sociable, Share!
  1. Todd Vicino :

Date: June 5, 2010 @ 12:11 am

Thanks for the heads up would have drove me crazy have to fix the exact problem in the morning. Todd Vicino

2. George :

Date: July 8, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

I have had this same problem for about a year. Finally fixed it used a t-20 torx bit and about 5 min. of my time. Dropped blower motor, found broke air door, broke it in half with my hand and pulled it out blower hole. Not worth replacing the fresh air door in my opinion everything works great their will just no longer be any difference between a/c and max a/c. Plus I will not give Dodge the gratification of selling me another junk air box part for $42 on my out of warranty 2006 model truck.

3. Shane :

Date: August 30, 2010 @ 9:05 am

Hey George, any new issues since posting this?

Date: August 30, 2010 @ 9:18 am

Shane, to answer for George… The only issue I could see is that MAX efficiency for AC or heat will never be obtained since he removed the fresh air door. The system without the benefit of the door ever being closed to the outside air has to heat or cool the outside air instead of recirculating the inside air and either heating it or cooling it more efficiently. In short the ac will never cool as well and the heater will never heat up as much as it should.

5. Joel :

Date: February 5, 2011 @ 10:46 am

What about the passenger side air bag?

6. Clyde :

Date: June 4, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

Awesome help. I went the easy route dropping the blower motor and slipped the broken door out. If the truck’s owner wants re-circulation back then we will order the new door and pull the dash. Thanks so much for posting this helpful thread. You saved me a bunch of time today.

7. Phillip :

Date: July 4, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

i un-bolted the blower motor,and was able to wiggle it out.just keep it on recirculate,it blows harder any ways.

8. george b :

Date: July 30, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

my 2003 dodge ram 1500 blows cold on the left and warm on the right side of my vents what should i do to fix it . i have work on it and can not find the problen .

Date: July 30, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

George, You don’t really say what you’ve done to it. I would first check the refrigerant level. Low refrigerant ( a low charge) can cause a variation between left and right sides, especially on dual zone systems. Good Luck.

10. Michael Sueiro :

Date: August 2, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

How long do you think the overall job takes to fix the problem the first George spoke of? Taking down the dash & replacing the fresh air door. Thanks a bunch for the help.

Mike Sueiro

11. John Brobeck :

Date: August 6, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I have 2003 dodge Ram 3500. Air works good on the driver side and nothing on the pasenger side. The truck has control for each side. When you increase the temp on the passenger side it blows very hot but will not cool down. Also when i leave the ignition on it has a vibration sound that comes fron a box with lots of wires to it mounted on the firewall on the passenger side. Not sure what this is. It humms amd then stops and starts again is 30 seconds or so?

Date: August 7, 2011 @ 10:25 am

John, this article is on low airflow. You may want to see some of the other AC articles on AC. The first thing I would check is refrigerant charge, since this can effect ONE side not cooling as well on dual zone systems. The vibration noise or humming is most likely the blower motor. There could be leaves getting into the fan or the motor itself could be failing. Good Luck.

13. Winston :

Date: September 1, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Something is wrong with my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. When it is idle the a/c is warm, but when I driving it kind of cools off a little. I released all of the freon and then tried to fill it back up with R134 freon and that doesnt solve my problem….still doing the same thing. What should I do next?

Date: September 2, 2011 @ 6:41 am

Winston, first… releasing the refrigerant is illegal. It harms the ozone and is just one reason that the many want tighter controls on access to 134A. The proper way to remove refrigerant is to recover it with an AC machine for recycling. Some techs will remove ALL the refrigerant (with an RRR machine) then evacuate the system with a vacuum pump and charge with the specified amount of refrigerant. However, the first step should have been to diagnose the A/C system with the gauge readings to see what the problem is. We have information regarding this that is linked above at the bottom of the article called “Adding Freon to Car AC – Gauge Readings Explained”. Understanding the gauge readings is the logical/smart way to approach an AC problem. Usually when a system is doing what you are describing the condenser fan is not working or the compressor is not pumping sufficiently. There could sometimes be a malfunctioning expansion valve. Without diagnosing the system based on actual “readings” it’s anyone’s guess. Good Luck.

15. Rita :

Date: November 12, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. We were unable to get the dash completely off of our 2004 dodge ram but I was able to feel that the fresh air door was broken. We broke the fresh air door up and removed it. Will see about replacing it later but for now we can at least use the defroster.

Date: November 12, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Rita, you may be happy with it like that. The AC won’t get quite as cold and the defrost will not work as well but for an inexpensive (and quick) fix, removing the door completely may just suffice. Good Luck.

17. Bob @ SPI :

Date: November 30, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

2008 dodge ram 1500 heater air flow comes out of defrost vent when on floor vent. I have replaced the heater control assembly. Do you have any ideas what could be the problem?

Date: November 30, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

Bob, usually if there is a vacuum leak the air will blow out the defrost (as default). I would look for a vacuum leak on the engine side of the firewall. A hissing sound may be heard if the leak is large enough. Good Luck.

19. Phil :

Date: December 26, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

Dennis, 2004 Ram 1550 QC 5.7 I have a some what simular problem, I have verified that the low side is at pressure with a top off can of refrigerant, I have the problem of it takes forever to get cold, I can hear the doors oppening and closing when I cycle through the controles. The fan I think blows fine in AC and heater modes. It takes like 10 minutes or more to get cool not acting like when I bought it new.

20. Erich Schroeder :

Date: May 13, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

AC was blowing fine, just not cold. Repair shop replaced the compressor and clutch switch. Now it doesn’t blow at all though you do hear it as you describe above. Also puts out a loud squeak intermitently. Is it possible they broke the fresh air door in doing these repairs?

Date: May 13, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Erich,

The compressor and the cycling switch is located under the hood and the recirculate door is behind the dash. There would be no reason to think that the shop broke the door while replacing the parts in the engine compartment. Sounds like two different issues. Good Luck.

22. Paul :

Date: June 10, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota and this thread describes my exact problem. I am not a mechanic or nor do I have the tools to do this job. Even if I did I do not have the time to take it on due to heavy travel schedule. Would anyone have an idea of the estimated cost for a dealer or local mechanic to repair it? Thanks!

23. Marty :

Date: June 18, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I was so elated to find this info here today. I have had this same problem for the last few days. I called the Dodge dealership about putting in a new fresh air door and they said about $800.00. I Can’t cover that right now and today it is supposed to hit 112 here in AZ. I pulled the motor and was able to get the door out and BAM! I am glad we have these sites available to get help. A credit to you also Dennisb for taking the time to help people with free advice. People don’t seem to help fellow countrymen anymore without getting in there pockets.

Date: June 18, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

Marty, thanks. Glad I could help. Keep us in mind for your future automotive tool needs.

25. Steve :

Date: July 1, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info, this explains the exact problem I’m having with my 06 Ram pickup. Are there better sources for OEM parts, specifically the air door, than a dealer?

Thanks, Steve

Date: July 1, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Steve, I haven’t shopped around for alternatives on this. It’s possible, but there may be modifications needed to make other than OE parts work. Good Luck.

27. Mike Heflin :

Date: July 3, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Of the suggestions and info above I was wondering if this like the problem my friend has with his 2001 Ram 1500 Magnum V8 truck. His vehicle has the following problem. With the air conditioner on it is okay at the lowest speed of the fan setting. When someone turns the fan setting to the any of the higher settings the air system is still okay for about 10 seconds, then the heat comes through the vent. I think I do hear something like a door? or something closing right before the air conditioner cool air turns to very warm. Is this something that described above can cause? Thanks!

Date: July 3, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Mike, maybe not a completely broken door. Sounds like a door that flops wherever the air forces it. Maybe where the actuator attaches there’s a problem. I would check in that area. Good Luck.

29. C. Miles :

Date: July 4, 2012 @ 11:33 am

We have a 2003 3500 WT Cummins 5.9L with A/C. The A/C used to not blow out the vents (broken door?), now when you turn the A/C on the compressor doesnt even kick in and it’s like the control panel for the Heat/AC is out, but the heat works great. Were in TX so the A/C is critical now. Your help is appreciated.
    Christian

Date: July 4, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

The most common cause of the compressor not coming on is low refrigerant. The system won’t run with low pressure by design to help protect the compressor. I wold check the pressure readings and go from there. Good Luck.

31. Mike Holloway :

Date: July 4, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

One problem with just removing the broken door and not replacing with new is no control over airflow and you hear the roar of the blower motor.

Date: July 5, 2012 @ 6:27 am

Mike, the biggest disadvantage of just removing the door is that you will never be able to have Maximum AC (also called recirculate). By always conditioning the outside air, the system can never be as efficient.

33. ed bouwmeester :

Date: July 5, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Low air movement but the fan is working fine. Whats the quick fix as far as checking to see if it is the door and how to get it out?

Date: July 5, 2012 @ 11:33 am

Ed, The door can be checked (behind the glove box) by looking for the door movement and listening for the thud when it closes. Do this by slowly switching the AC back and for the from Max/Recirculate to normal air. See the 2nd comment from George on how to do a quick door removal. However, I recommend fixing it right and replacing the door like outlined in the repair article. Good Luck.

35. MadMaxx :

Date: July 5, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

I just replaced the blower motor resistor and that solved half of my problem… at least the blower will turn off fully now. I opted to finish the job by removing the 3 screws to the blower motor on the passenger side, lowered the blower out, reached up inside and jimmied the door around and pulled it out the same hole… Replaced the blower motor and its all gravy!

36. JoeF :

Date: July 5, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

I have a 2003 quad cab and my air door just crapped out and was blocking the air flow to the vents. I dropped the fan motor and pulled out the busted door. It was 102 degress here today and the air was ice cold … no way I am pulling that dash out to replace the part. Thanks for posting this info, it saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

37. Garett :

Date: July 6, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

I have a 2009 dodge ram, my ac suddenly went out, When i turn it on i hear a clicking/thumping noise coming from behind the ac dials and my cup holder. It will blow air out of the front vents for about 2 seconds then the clicking/thumping noise happens and no air. Air only comes out the floor vents, it wont blow air from the front vents or defrost. Im not sure what the noise is or how to fix it

Date: July 6, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Garrett, sounds like an HVAC door actuator/motor has failed. HVAC motor’s are designed to control the mode (which vents the air comes out of). Since that is one of your issues along with the noise (which is pretty common with failed door motors) it makes sense to me.

Some are harder to get to than others. Sometimes they are easy and sometimes the dash has to come out. There are several, so narrow it down by following the noise to pinpoint the one giving the problem. Good Luck.

39. Danny Ray :

Date: July 6, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

I have a 2003 and like the other guy on here when sitting idle my ac doesn’t cool, but moving its cold as ice. I used an ac gauge and my levels are fine. I too have the problem I belive with the ac door my drivers side blows colder than the passenger. What will cause the ac not to blow cold when idle a vacuum hose? You can here the conmpressor kicking in and out a little too often when its at idle but its not cooling when I raise the rpm then it starts to cool.

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Danny, sounds like the main problem might be not enough air-flow through the condenser. The fan might be bad, but the high and low readings should be going too high (if that’s the case). I would check the high and low readings and the operation cooling fan motor. The fan that is for the condenser not the one for the radiator. I believe they are separate on your truck. The condenser is off to the side. The readings may be going too high because of the fan and the high pressure switch could be shutting down the compressor to protect it. Good Luck.

41. Danny Ray :

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 11:14 am

You are right, the fan wasn’t working blew a fuse out. I put a new one in and it blew again right away. I pulled and reseated the relay to may sure that wasn’t the problem and fixed it. It’s been working ever since.

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

That’s great. If the fuse blows again though I would install a new fan motor. If it draws excessive amps it will blow the fuse repeatedly. Good Luck.

43. LuisC :

Date: July 7, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

My 03 Ram blows cold air on drivers side but not on left. I have charged the a/c but still doesn’t help. Also once charged it seems to drain very quickly I’ve checked for leaks but don’t seem to find any.

Date: July 8, 2012 @ 8:06 am

Luis, It’s common for some vehicles to have a big difference in vent temps when the system is low on refrigerant. It could also be an actuator, but I would concentrate on finding the leak and repairing that. Since you know the system drains – you know there’s a leak. The most common leak in these trucks if there’s nothing obvious under the hood is the evaporator core. I would then vacuum the system down properly and put the correct amount of Freon in. After this is done, it’s likely that the vent temperatures will be more uniform. Good Luck.

45. Joe Bingham :

Date: July 8, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

I have a 2005 ram and was driving one day and heard this sound come from in the dash then the air was not blowing as hard as usual. I was thinking maybe a piece of paper got into the return but not sure, had a “mechanic” tell me it was impossible for that to happen. So I guess I am going to check the door next and see if that helps. I am in Texas and we need our A/C here.

46. Joe Bingham :

Date: July 8, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

Well just took the blower motor out and sure enough the door was just laying there so I took it out and replace later. I am glad I found this site. THANKS

47. Paul Passmore :

Date: July 9, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Great explanation of the problem. I also pulled the blower motor which is located below the glove box and sure enough the door was blocking airflow. Slight pressure in the center of the flap was enough to break it making it small enough to fit through the hole. Thank you!

48. Michael J :

Date: July 10, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

Thanks just pulled my blower motor and there it was broken. I have not replaced mine. Did you say the only thing that it will effect is the circulation of inside air? My truck only has 32,000 miles. It looks like this should be recall since there is so many with the same problem.

Date: July 11, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Michael, yes it will cause the recirculate to NEVER work, meaning the AC won’t get as cool and the heat won’t get as warm. As far as the warranty and recalls – many things should be a recall, but as long as it’s not a safety issue the manufacturers have an incentive not to recall them. Chrysler’s warranty is 3/36 whichever comes first. After that we are all on our own unless you have purchased some sort of aftermarket extended warranty. Good Luck.

50. bignasdy :

Date: July 13, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

I have the same problem.99 1500 . Will pull blower tomorow. I also have a vacuum leak where……harder acceleration will default the A/C to defrost until the engine quits pulling so hard. Any idea where this leak may be…OR hows about a good way to find it? Thanx alot in advance!

Date: July 14, 2012 @ 7:32 am

Sounds like a common vacuum leak. Could be on the inside of the vehicle or on the engine side. Most the time the leak would be in the engine bay because of more harsh conditions causing the vacuum line to fail (like heat, cold, chemicals etc). Usually I would look for the vacuum line going through the firewall on the passenger side under the hood. Follow it and look for breaks. Also run the vehicle and listen for a hissing sound. Not on the Ram, but on some GM vehicles (Corvette & others) I’ve found plastic vacuum lines routed underneath the battery. Fumes and sometimes acid goes down on the line and makes them brittle and they break. Plastic lines can be replaced by using a small diameter rubber hose and slipping over the outside of the plastic line. A little super glue, can then be applied on the outside where they join, just to keep them from slipping apart. Be careful not to allow the super glue to get inside the line and restrict the vacuum. Good Luck.

52. jim fig :

Date: July 18, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

I have a 96 dodge 1500 cargo van,my heat or air conditioning blower fan speeds work fine but little air comes out of the vents. What should I look for? Thanks, Jim.

Date: July 18, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

Jim, even-though you have a VAN and not a truck, it could have a broken door like the article describes. I would look for a broken door Good Luck.

54. Milo Estrada :

Date: July 18, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

I have a 2004 dodge ram hemi. My issue is when I’m driving and the AC is on I can smell the fumes coming from the car/truck in front of me…. any solutions?

Date: July 19, 2012 @ 7:19 am

Milo, it’s normal to have some outside air enter the passenger compartment so naturally if there’s a gross emitter (a vehicle that pollutes excessively) ahead of you, you’re gonna smell it. You may minimize the amount of outside air entering the passenger compartment by selecting MAX air or recirculate. You may still smell anything that’s in the outside air because the passenger compartment is not totally air tight. If you were smelling excess fumes/smoke from your own vehicle there could be an exhaust manifold leak. There could also be an oil leak (most commonly from a valve cover) that is burning off when it touches the top of the exhaust manifold. In that case, repairing your own vehicle would help. Other than that if you’re behind a stinky vehicle – don’t follow so close! Good Luck.

56. ken :

Date: July 22, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

You can actually fix this problem without removing the dash in less than an hour by removing the glove box, fan motor (3 screws) and the actuator (2 screws), all you need is a flashlight, Stubby Philips and regular (I actually used a stubby ratcheting screw driver with changeable tips) and a short pry bar. you also need to be a little limber… first turn the key on and turn the air control to re-circulate (lower two positions) next remove the door jamb, the fan and glove box. now shine the light through the glove box opening… remove the broken door by reaching up through the fan opening and turning it counter clock wise and tilting it into an upright position and it will come out easily, if part of the door is still attached to the control shaft, you can remove it through the fan opening… now remove the control shaft (white)by lightly prying from the outside of the box… now simply install the new door with the same motion (reversed) and the shaft receiver in the down position, you should be able to slide it right into place and insert the shaft. Now ensure that the door is closed towards the firewall and reinstall the actuator. Reinstall the fan and test it, if it’s working properly, reinstall the glove box and door jamb and your done.

Date: July 23, 2012 @ 6:24 am

Ken, thanks for telling everyone how you did this job. It’s good to know it’s possible without pulling the dash out. I’m not that limber and I like to see what I’m working on, so I may still opt to swing the dash. But really good info. Thanks.

58. Alan :

Date: July 24, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

As many of the other readers my 03 Ram 1500 is blowing cold on drivers side and warm on passenger side. It also only blows out of the dash vents, does not switch to dash or floor. The actuator motors are turning. The A/C system is functioning correctly, since I just recently had the condensor and compressor replaced. Based this article I know my recirculating door is probably broken, but does that also have to do with the dash and floor vent too?

Date: July 25, 2012 @ 6:28 am

Alan, not being able to switch from dash vents to floor and defrost has to do with the “mode” door or “mode” actuator not the recirculate door/actuator. I also suspect that the refrigerant level is slightly under-charged since there’s a difference from side to side temperature. Good Luck.

60. George Lopez :

Date: July 26, 2012 @ 11:49 am

I’ve loosened up all bolts and the dash still strongly attached. Can someone help

Date: July 26, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

George, I would double check all the “x” locations marked in the image. There may also be another bolt or two that’s exposed once the steering column is dropped (under the speed-o cluster). I would slightly tug on the dash to help determine at what point there’s still a fastener. It’s been several years since I’ve done a job like this and I really didn’t intend this to be a complete instructional guide for a DIY’er. It may be necessary to refer to a repair manual for more info. We have information on how to subscribe to on-line repair manual access for your vehicle on our repair manual page linked at the top of the page. Good Luck.

62. George Lopez :

Date: July 28, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

Thanks much

63. jim :

Date: July 29, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Thanks for the help low air flow on my 2006 3500 Dodge I will be fixing it first thing tomorrow.Iwill let you know how it goes

64. Mike S :

Date: July 29, 2012 @ 9:51 am

I took the blower motor out and yes the door was laying there!! From the blower motor Point of View what position does the door need to be in for MAX AC??? I was thinking of using Gorrilla tape to secure it in place until the winter when I’ll do the permanant fix. Thanks!!

65. Ben B :

Date: July 29, 2012 @ 10:43 am

I first took the glove box out, pops out very easily and now I can see where the door goes. Then I dropped the blower and reached up in there and instead of breaking it up I put it back in place where it would be for the max air setting and taped it in place with Gorilla tape. Will let you know if any problems come about but I think this will work for me in South Louisiana as all we use is max ac anyways.

66. john :

Date: August 21, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

I have a 2010 dodge ram 1500. It makes a knocking noise when starting up and air only comes out of the floor vents. What can I do to correct this problem?

Date: August 21, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

John, most likely just an actuator. I would find the actuator making the noise and replace it.

68. john :

Date: August 21, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

How do I get to the actuator to replace? What do I have to remove to get to the part that needs replacing?

Date: August 21, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

John, there are several. Some are harder to get to than others. I would listen for the sound and try to see it with removing only as much as needed. Best case scenario is accessing without removing more than just the glove box or some simple trim pieces. Worst case scenario would be removing the dash and HVAC case to access an actuator on the backside of the case. Good Luck.

70. Mark :

Date: August 27, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

My issue sounds similar to this one. The fan sounds like it is in max a/c mode, but very little air is being moved. Also the air control knob does not make any changes to where the air is coming from. There are no nosies coming from the dash that would indicate that anything is moving or even trying to.

Date: August 27, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

Mark, I would look to see if the door is broken. Good Luck.

72. Guy :

Date: September 13, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

Hello, I have a 2003 dodge 2500, the ac is not blowing out the vent as hard as it should. I check that door behind the glove box, it is not broken, and opens and shut when you move the knobs. I took the fan motor out and tested it, it seems to be working fine. I’m scratching my head on this one please help.

73. Donna :

Date: October 8, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

I recently purchased a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 and noticed that the 3rd speed on control knob was not working. So I purchased a blower motor resistor. I installed it; pulled the blower motor and the ‘door’ was laying there. I now have all speeds working on the control knob, BUT I think there should be more air/heat coming from the vents. What do you suggest? Please help.

Date: October 8, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

Donna, I would suggest installing the replacement door linked in the article above. It can be installed without removing the dash, saving a ton of labor. Good Luck.

75. Paul :

Date: October 13, 2012 @ 8:25 am

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram and the air and heat work great unless under hard acceleration or going up inclines where the truck is having to accelerate to maintain speed . At this time you can hear the blower motor working like it should but no air coming out of the vents . Once acceleration levels back out you can hear like a pop behind the vicinity of the instrument cluster and air will resume out of the vents . Any suggestions ? Thanks !

Date: October 13, 2012 @ 8:29 am

Paul, I would check for vacuum leaks or a bad one way check valve in the vacuum line. Good Luck.

77. Paul :

Date: October 15, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I replaced both one way check valves and the vacuum lines are plastic and black in color . I have looked over the lines and can’t see a break anywhere . What would you suggest to help possibly find a hole or crack in the line ?

Date: October 15, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Paul, I’ve used a hand vacuum pump before to help isolate the leak. Also used a smoke machine. Good Luck.

79. Paul :

Date: October 16, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Borrowed a hand vacuum pump and found several cracks on different plactic lines . would it be possible to replace all plastic with rubber line and be better in the long run . If so what size ?

Date: October 17, 2012 @ 6:19 am

Paul, I have used rubber lines before to slide over the existing plastic lines to repair sections. I would take a piece of the old one to the parts store to find the correct fit. Good Luck.

81. Paul :

Date: October 26, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

I replaced all plastic lines with rubber vacuum lines and problem with vents still there but not as bad . I have ordered a vacuum canister to put in line to see if that will completely fix the problem . These dodges like to be a challenge .

Date: October 27, 2012 @ 8:01 am

Paul there could also be a check valve that causes the same problem. It allows flow only in one direction and may be in-line somewhere. Good Luck.

83. Paul :

Date: October 30, 2012 @ 1:39 pm

After replacing all plastic vacuum lines with good rubber vacuum lines and replacing both check valves, (dealer only cost 5.32 a piece with tax in Arkansas ) problem was almost non existent . Still wanting to default to defrost vents under hard pull so bought a vacuum canister from auto parts store and installed in line and I can proudly say problem solved . Want to thank Dennis for great help and great website to learn from others what type problems they have and solutions !!

84. Paul :

Date: October 31, 2012 @ 4:44 pm

Worked good for couple of days . Have another problem now . No matter where I put selector air only comes out of defrost . If I put it on max ac it comes out max ac only on defrost . If I turn it to come out on the floor only it still comes out of defrost vents only. Help !

Date: October 31, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

Paul, something has changed. I would recheck for vacuum leaks. A line could have came loose. Good Luck.

86. Paul :

Date: November 2, 2012 @ 3:49 pm

Had put all new vacuum lines on but finally found one that had a small split in it . Replaced and working great .

Date: November 2, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

Now, enjoy your weekend!

88. Bev :

Date: November 29, 2012 @ 10:28 am

Same problem with the ac in our 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 with the vents. We live in the northeast and the same thing is happening with the heat. Some air from vents, it’s hot and it sounds like it should be blowing full blast. Could the fresh air door be the reason for both of these problems. Thanks

Date: November 29, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Bev, sounds like the fresh air door. Let me know if there are any questions on the improved one that we sell. Good Luck.

90. Mark :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Dennis, My 2003 ram has a blend air problem. The drivers side is not as hot as the passenger side.

91. Mark :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

The temperature does change, but nearly as much.

92. Mark :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

The blend door joint to the servo is fine and stops are fine.

93. Mark :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

I’ve cut a hole on the HVAC house to see the blend door closest to the cabin operate. It seems to be working fine.

94. Mark :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

Also, the passenger side will not be as cold as the driver’s side when the A/C is on. The A/C evaporator and heater core were replaced about 15 months ago because the evaporator had a bad leak. Now I’m thinking it’s not a blend door problem. Both the rear and forward doors are moving fine. I’m at a loss for the differential in temp on both A/C and heat. Should I consider reverse flushing my heater core?

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

Mark there will normally be a slight temp difference the further away from the heater/evaporator cores. If the heater core is partially clogged then, flushing it may help. Good Luck

96. Art :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

I am wondering if for safety, should you unhook the negative battery terminal so the passenger air bag will not be set off?

Thanks for your advice,
    Art

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Art, yes although I know many techs that never worry about it, it would advisable to follow the manufacturers instructions in the repair manual.

98. Rick Nelson :

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I have a 04 ram 3500. No matter where the selector is placed I have outside air noise coming in. What part is broken in my heater. It doesn’t sound bad till about 20 mph.

Date: December 1, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Rick, sounds like the fresh air door like in the article. Good Luck.

100. Mark :

Date: December 2, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Would agree that the blend door is fine based on what I wrote?

Date: December 3, 2012 @ 7:16 am

Mark, if the blend door was broken there would be more than just a slight temp difference side to side. There would be no control (adjustment) at all. Good Luck.

102. Art :

Date: December 3, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Art here again. I was able to remove the blender door by reaching up through the hole after removing the fan. I have great heat now! My wife is Bev. She glued the broken piece of the door back on. I tried to reinstall the door. I could not remove the actuator pin.
    How do you remove the rod pin that holds the left side of the door?

103. marilynn :

Date: December 5, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

As I was waiting for my defroster to work it seem like my windows were getting worst it was almost like my windshield was wet the more I wipe off the worst it got I almost didn’t get home from church..i have a 2006 doge ram am on S.S. and I was wondering if I being a senior lady will I be able to fix this problem. I also noticed I don’t have much heat either.

Date: December 6, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

Marilynn, since there seems to be several problems, you may be best served by having a local shop check it out. Good Luck.

105. Brian M. :

Date: December 13, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

I have a 2005 Ram. When the vent is set to the floor position, air still blows out the defrost vents. And sometimes it won’t switch between vents. Is this a vacuum issue?

Date: December 13, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Brian, sounds like it could be a vacuum line or control issue. If it was a vacuum leak that leaked ALL the time, it would always default to defrost. Good Luck.

107. Clair :

Date: December 25, 2012 @ 9:06 am

I have to replace the recirc door (which fell out two years ago) and the mode two door (which controls floor or defrost). I have the truck in the garage right now with the steering column on the floor and all the bolts I can find to pull the dash back are out but the dash doesn’t want to budge. I took out three on the drivers side, three on the passenger side and two on the floor in the middle, am I missing any?

Date: December 25, 2012 @ 9:13 am

What about on top of the dash underneath the large trim panel. There may also be one around the area of the steering column.

109. Derek :

Date: December 29, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I have the same issue with weak air flow as Guy mentioned above with my 2003 Ram. I pulled all the front panels off, checked the recirc flap, fan motor strenth, and the other two flaps that work in sync by a rod. My air gets cold and warm, and I can hear the dash humming from the fan motor, but the output is bad. Any idea where to look next?

Date: December 29, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Derek, the most common cause is a broken recirculate door above the blower. The blower may also be full of leaves. I would make sure the door works and maybe pull the blower out and clean it. Good Luck.

111. joe :

Date: January 7, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

I have a 2010 dodge 3500 diesel that has a knocking sound when you start it in the dash. The air will only blow out at the feet.the air flow nob will not change the direction of the air flow. Any help? Thanks

112. joe :

Date: January 7, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

Well I just read the other guys post. Guess I need to take dash out?

Date: January 7, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Joe, sounds like a bad actuator. Some are hard to get to. Listen for it and see if you can trace the noise. Good Luck.

114. Marc :

Date: January 8, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

Access to Mode 1 and Mode 2 doors, removing the dash as shown in the picture, are these doors as easily accessed as the Re-circ door?

Date: January 8, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

Marc, no if I remember correctly the case needs to come out and taken apart. Good Luck.

116. Divine :

Date: January 31, 2013 @ 6:50 am

My brother thank God for this site. Please my 2001 Ram 3500 Bus ac cools in the back cabin but takes over 15min for the front cabin to cool…please am so confused on this. What could be the problem?

Date: January 31, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Divine, sounds like the front expansion valve could be going bad. See our article on AC Gauge Readings Explained for more information.

118. Ricky :

Date: January 31, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

Low air flow from vents. I checked the door and it is working properly and not broken. Air moves to the correct vents when dial is moved. Where to check from here?Fan is fine also. Temperature is fine also on heat and cool.

Date: February 1, 2013 @ 6:25 am

Ricky, I would probably pull the blower motor to access the evaporator to see if it is blocked by pollen and leaves etc. Note that there’s no cabin air filter for the Ram. Good Luck.

120. scott :

Date: February 7, 2013 @ 6:52 am

re; ricky my ram van had poor airflow for 2 years i thought it was something mechanical .turned out it was evaporater was blocked up with dust and derbis sucked up through air return in cab took me 15 minutes to fix and saved 100s from would be exspensive mechanics , dennis is right on this one

121. Rick :

Date: February 25, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Dennis, I removed the broken recirculate door last Summer which obviously increased the air flow and it gets pretty cold, but being a quad cab, it takes all it’s got with vents pointing at me on the real hot 95 + degree days. As you said earlier, it’s having to cool the hot outside air. I’m wondering if I somehow completely blocked the outside/fresh air return which is accessible with the blower motor dropped, would this be the equivalent of Max AC whereas the only available air for the blower would be inside cab air? Also would this cause any problems as far as condensation or perhaps a “moldy” smell since there is no longer fresh air available?

Date: February 25, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Rick, you could rig it to make it recirculate all the time. Varying from the original design could cause some unwanted consequences though. I wouldn’t worry about mold but it is nice to get some fresh air in the cab sometimes. I would just use the kit, that way you can have it functioning as designed and best of all the dash can stay in. Good Luck.

123. Jason Ram :

Date: May 26, 2013 @ 2:42 am

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500. I get cool air out of the passenger side, but it doesn’t blow very hard. I checked the Recirculate door, and there is no blockage or broken door. At one point, you could hear the fan blowing hard, but little air was coming out of the vents. Suddenly pieces of foam blew out of the vents, and I got some air flow again. This is a double cab with ac vents to the back seat from the center console. I get very little flow to those vents as well. I get no clicking noice from behind the panel as described in other posts.

124. bc :

Date: May 27, 2013 @ 11:49 am

Found a problem with air flow from 2003 ram pu. After in the shop dealer found nothing other than replacing a 50 dollar part and 450 dollars later, still had no air flow thru vents. Found condensing coil completley packed with dirt and a 5 dollar can of coil cleaner fixed the problem. Why don’t the enginners provide air filtration to prevent this from occuring. BC

125. Torev2 :

Date: June 16, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

I have a 2008 ram 1500,the blower works great ( took it out and turned it through all settings) the recirc door operates fine, the blend doors both move just fine, however I am getting little air flow out of the vents. Any Ideas?

Date: June 17, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

Possibly leaves inside case blocking airflow. I would remove the blower and see. Good Luck

127. Leugers27 :

Date: June 17, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

I have an 03 dodge cummins quad cab 2500 and I have great ac when I get in my truck but then after a while I have very low air coming out of the vents even when on high. I can here the blower blowing hard just like a door has closed but I have taken half my dash apart and the fresh air door behind the glove box is fine and in working order. I can’t get air out of the floor vents or even defrost when this happens. Had a dealership look at this last year and found nothing wrong but they recharged the ac anyway. It has a good charge. Any help would be great!

Date: June 18, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Sounds like an intermittent problem. If it is not acting up when the dealer is looking at it and there are no fault codes it would be impossible for anyone to identify the issue. Take the vehicle to the dealer when you can demonstrate whats going on. Show the tech personally. They have to know exactly what the problem is and experience it before they can take the problem seriously and diagnose it properly. Could be a BUS communications issue. Good Luck.

129. Kfostersmith :

Date: June 18, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

Had low air flow for the pass 4 years but living on the coast a just put up with it. Had a hot day so I looked up a fix. George’s idea sounded good. Took about 5 minute and now if works great. If I ever move to the heat ill look into the right fix. Thanks for great website and help.

130. bucsupward :

Date: June 19, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

I have a 2008 Ram 1500 SLT quad 4.7 that with the ac on blows cold air out of the defrost and the floor heater vents. When you start the truck it thumps 3 times then about 20 seconds later it thumps again for three or four times. This sound come from behind the ac controls & the beverage holder under the ac controls. The heater works fine and it comes out of the vents it is supposed to. Also both ac control recalls have been installed by the dealership , but I have been told that this problem doesn’t involve those recalls. The dealership has quoted me $800-1200 TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Help please

Date: June 20, 2013 @ 7:29 am

Sounds like a bad actuator that moves one of the doors in the evaporator case. The dealer’s quote should have included the part that they have diagnosed as failing. The alternative is taking the dash apart yourself and replacing the failed part which is not what I consider a DIY project. Unlike the recirculate door which is much less involved of a project because it is easier to access compared to the doors and actuators in the middle of the dash. Good Luck.

132. Johnny :

Date: June 21, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram and when I turn on the power, not necessarily the ignition I get a clicking noise in my dash, right behind my stereo it seems. When I put on the vent, AC or Heat I get nothing from the dash vents, but everything works properly from the floor vents. Need some help here please.

Date: June 21, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

Johnny unless it does what you’ve described when the vehicle is running also I wouldn’t be concerned. If does click when started and running and the air comes out the bottom vents, most likely there is a bad actuator. Some are hard to get to, so the dash may need to be pulled to access. Good Luck.

134. twinhorses :

Date: June 26, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

I have a 2001 dodge diesel the ac works but it leaks water to the left side of blower motor what would cause this its not antifreeze

Date: June 26, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

The most common cause is a clogged drain. See our article on AC Water Leaking Inside.

136. mickey b :

Date: July 19, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that the A/C cuts out when i slow down and also cuts out when accelerating uphill…..i will check the lines coming out of the firewall passenger side that has been mentioned in previous questions…any help would be great

Date: July 20, 2013 @ 9:03 am

Mickey I would check the gauge readings and go from there. And just so you know, at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it is normal for the AC to cut off. I explained to my son a couple of years ago when he owned a a Chevy S-10 with a 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission (which was quite a dog when it came to power and acceleration). He said “oh it’s normal then, for the AC to be off the entire time I’m on the Interstate”. Good Luck.

138. Superdave :

Date: July 21, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

Additional help on broken air door. Just removing the broken door will allow hot outside air to enter the fan suction 24/7. I suggest removing the blower motor then propping the door up to block the outside air duct. It is the hole that faces toward the front that has screen covering the hole. Just put the door back to close off that side then jam a piece of wood around 6 inches long up to keep it shut. I used some silicone sealant to hold the prop in place. This way you recirculate your air at all times which really is a good thing. If you need some fresh outside air crack the window.

Date: July 22, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I like the door we sell, because it can be done in about the same amount of time as a temporary fix. It also keeps the system functioning as it was designed. Here’s a couple of other considerations.

1. When first getting into the vehicle, the outside air is cooler than the inside air. The AC works faster using the cooler air when first turned on. Then the MAX or recirculate mode can be used.
    2. When the vehicle is parked in the hot sun, having the fresh air vent open acts as a pressure relief for expanding hot air. Although it’s not common, I’ve seen windshields crack in Florida the hot sun because of excessive pressure build up. This is a consideration for those of us that live in hot climates.

140. chris a :

Date: July 31, 2013 @ 11:54 am

I have a 2004 dodge ram and the re-circ
    door is broke, I can get my hand in there and it is flat, I can pull it to 90 degrees and there is nothing holding it. What I need to know is how to get the glove box compartment out and as far as anything else, is there more things on the dash that has to be removed? Thank you, Chris

Date: July 31, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

Hey Chris, the good news is that the dash does NOT have to come out for this repair now, Click the image below to see the door that has an updated design and can be installed in the vehicle.

142. Will :

Date: August 8, 2013 @ 10:51 am

How did you remove the bolt or rivet on the drivers side of the dash next to the door jam? It is the second fastener down on your first picture and is a steel color, not the black bolts. Just curious if this needs to be removed or if there is a trick. It’s the only thing holding me up from getting my dash out completely.

Date: August 8, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Will was several years ago, but if I remember correctly that is just a line up pin that goes into a hole (that shouldn’t be holding the dash). I think the passenger side has a metal extension that requires lifting up on the dash a little to clear it. Unless doing other work, it’s much better to use the kit we sell that eliminates pulling the entire dash. Good Luck.

144. terence :

Date: August 8, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

If it’s not the door that is an issue on my truck what could it be? I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 Cummings. I checked the door that’s normally the common problem and it wasn’t that. What else could be the issue on why its not blowing out the front vents. It does blow hard out of the rear floor vents. What else could be wrong? Thank you.

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 8:00 am

Terence, you are having a separate issue altogether. It could be the control head or an actuator most likely. Good Luck.

146. terence :

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

what do you mean the control head or the actuator?

thanks again

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

The control head is where you change the temp, mode etc. The actuator is the little motor that actually moves the HVAC doors changing the direction of the airflow.

148. terence :

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

the hvac door is the one behind the glove box. thats not broken and works fine. all the temperature changes fine from hot to cold. it just doesnt blow hard out of the front vents

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

There’s more than one HVAC door…

150. terence :

Date: August 9, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

where would that hvac door be

Date: August 10, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

Typically there are three doors in the HVAC case. Fresh air, blend and mode. If a system has dual (split zone) there will be a fourth. The easiest one to get to which can be done without a major job, is the fresh air door which is what the article is about. We don’t sell any of the other doors because they they don’t fail as often and they are not what I consider a “do-it yourself” job. The door we sell for the fresh air door replacement is a do-it-yourself type repair that has saved our readers a lot of money while improving the design and strength.

152. Wise Auto Tool Blog » Car Heater Not Working? Troubleshooting, How to Fix Repair Tips :

Date: September 30, 2013 @ 10:29 am

[…] is common, resulting from broken doors that can cause one side to work but not the other. The Dodge Ram truck fresh air door problem, is a broken door issue primarily with their fresh air door that can prevent airflow from […]

153. James :

Date: November 3, 2013 @ 11:49 pm

Just had blend and all actuators replaced on my 2006 mega cab diesel and I still have the problem of air blows harder on driver side than the passenger side any ideas????

Date: November 4, 2013 @ 7:07 am

James, it could be a control head issue or an air duct with a leak… It would have been obvious if the door was broken so the shop would have been able to tell you if the door was the problem or not. Also, the repair shop can check to see if there’s any codes stored for the HVAC system which may lead to the problem. Could also just be something blocking the duct work. Good Luck

155. James :

Date: November 6, 2013 @ 7:47 am

I took it back to the dealer and they pulled it back apart again they said there is a screen in the duct system that was clogged from old material off of old blend door, they found a service letter on it and removed the screen according to service letter and problem is fixed air blows hard on both sides now

156. Phil :

Date: December 24, 2013 @ 10:48 am

Have a dodge 2500 bighorn diesel. Am getting heat out of passenger side and cold out of drivers side with heater on. Can you give me any suggestions on what to check

Date: December 24, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

Most likely a broken blend door- read below for more on the doors.

158. Phil :

Date: December 24, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

159. Josj :

Date: January 30, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab and the heat and A/C work fine and the air is circulating properly. My issue is that I can only get heat on max settings and on non-max settings the air is cold. Can the recirculating door cause this problem or is a blend door or mode door 1/2 issue?

Date: January 30, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

It could be normal if the ambient (outside) temperature is extremely cold. Think about what the MAX (recirculate) is doing. When it’s on recirculate the system is heating the air that is circulating in just the cab. If it is not on recirculate, the system has to heat the outside air that is entering. Not a big deal unless it’s near or below freezing outside. Good Luck.

161. jeff :

Date: February 9, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

2006 Dodge Ram 2500. The defrost blows cold while the floor blows hot air.

Date: February 9, 2014 @ 3:52 pm

Not related to the recirculate door.

163. jeff :

Date: February 9, 2014 @ 3:54 pm

Any ideas

Date: February 9, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

I would rule out the recirculate door and look at the other doors…

165. GTW :

Date: February 9, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

06 Dodge Ram 3500 QC,SB,Sat, Jake, Etc.
    Just after my warranty expired my hvac fan started making a horrible noise. At that time of year I needed my defroster so just ran it on low until I could dig into it. I was thinking that a pencil or something had fallen down the defrost vent What I didn’t realize was that the fresh air door had broke and fallen against the fan causing a load on the motor and it burned out the overload relay and that left me with only the highest fan setting. (safety feature) I bought a new relay, installed it, (super easy) and pulled the motor/fan out. I used 2 hacksaw blades pushed the door back in place and wedged the blades up against the door to hold it. Been working for 6 years now with no problems. The dealer wanted 850.00 to fix.

166. L.T. :

Date: February 20, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

Having issue with poor air flow from vents in 06 Dodge 2500. Pulled blower motor and recirc. door was not broken but once I grabbed it to check it’s operation it broke. I removed then the broken door and re-installed the motor and still have poor air flow. Noticed when truck is idling that the blower motor speed occasionally increases then decreases rapidly. When selecting floor vent it seems to have decent air flow but poor out of the dash and defrost vents. The truck is used in farming conditions which consist of lots of dust so I’m starting to think the plenum box is full of mud/dirt? Also the surging of the blower motor speed is throwing me off a bit too. Any ideas?

Date: February 20, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

A little fluctuation in the blower speed is normal due to the varying demands on the electrical system; like when the AC compressor cycles on or off or other demands change for whatever reason. Many of today’s cars have cabin air filters but I don’t believe your truck has one. That means that the dirt and pollen could have been collecting on your evaporator core and could be restricting air-flow. Maybe you can remove the blower motor and access the evaporator. I know on some models you can get a peak that way. If you can see it and confirm there’s a lot of dirt collected on the fins you may be able to clean the evaporator. I’d use a garden hose being careful not to get anything electrical wet and recheck. We sell the recirculate door which is made of steel instead of the factory plastic. Having the door will always help when on recirculate mode. Good Luck.

168. bobp :

Date: March 11, 2014 @ 12:12 am

I have the dash out as explained and found bad recirc and bad mode 2 door. Unfortunately, I took much more apart before finding your post. I have so much I cant tell what position I left the HVAC controls in. I am going to replace 2 doors and need to know: do the actuators self-calibrate? I hate to put everything back and have the door orientation wrong and snap the plastic coupler or door.

Date: March 11, 2014 @ 6:37 am

Bob, yes they self calibrate. Good Luck.

170. geronb73 :

Date: April 11, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

Thanks for your post. I’ve been wondering why my air flow doesn’t blow well will check blower motor location when I get off for trap door…

thanks Geronb73

171. donchilito :

Date: April 13, 2014 @ 6:26 am

Any info on changing out the recirculation door on the 09 1500 crew cab? Can it be done by removing the blower motor as well? Thx

Date: April 13, 2014 @ 8:28 am

The door kit that we sell is for 2002-2008. You may be able to remove the door through accessing the hole behind the blower motor but that’s not a real fix. You will no longer have MAX capability which removes much more of the moisture in the passenger compartment and allows more efficient heating and cooling. Good Luck.

173. steve :

Date: April 23, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

I have a 1999 dodge and i am also getting little air and alot of noise even after putting a new blower motor in my truck. i am going to be replacing the dash and will have alot tore down so i am going to look into the door issue. do you sell parts for a 1999 dodge 2500? thank you for your time

Date: April 23, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Steve, sorry we only sell the one recirculate door for the 2002-2008 Dodge Ram. Good Luck.

Tell us what you're thinking. For best feedback please provide as much information as possible like year, make, model, problem and when it occurs etc. - Comment Below (*SPAM & comments unrelated to the article and comments that use excessive capitalization will be deleted). For example; article on Nissan tapping noise upon start-up. A comment about the relationship between Nissan & Renault would be off topic & irrelevant for that particular article. See our Disclaimer. Click the following to view Dennis' "about page" for info on his automotive repair experience.

Please note: Your comment will not be posted until we approve it. We appreciate and read all on topic, relevant comments. Please don't ask for torque specs and/or specific repair procedures. If quick assistance is needed with purchasing a tool or part, please visit our main website DenLorsTools.com or call at 800-524-9783.