AC Water Leaks Inside Car – How to Fix

2:52 pm Air Conditioning, Consumer, DIY, Tech/Mechanic

Sebring_Dash

The Robinair AC Machine is one of the most popular units for car air conditioning service.

©DenLorsTools.com Summary: In this auto repair article we discuss the reasons why a car’s air conditioning system may leak water inside the vehicle. Sometimes the fix is simple and other times the repair can be much more labor intensive. As an automotive technician that’s worked over 25 years in Florida, I’ve dealt with this problem many times on different models. If leaks aren’t fixed quickly, the carpet and padding underneath can become a breeding ground for mildew and harmful bacteria. People with certain allergies can be affected the most.

There are several reasons why a car’s AC can leak or drip water into the passenger compartment. First it’s important to understand that water dripping from under the car when the A/C is on is normal. It’s only when the water drips on the inside of the car there’s an issue. Varying amounts of water dripping (condensation) under the car is to be expected, depending on the level of humidity in the air. The higher the humidity, the higher the volume of water can be seen dripping under the car from the evaporator drain tube. I’ve actually had customers that complained because they thought that too much water was dripping under the car after an AC repair. On several occasions customers would say “It never had that much water draining out before.” It’s funny how some car owners pay closer attention to certain things after a repair has been made. After explaining that it’s a normal for condensation (water) to accumulate on the evaporator fins, drip to the bottom of the case and run out the drain tube; only then they understand that there’s not something wrong.

One of the most common causes of water dripping inside the car is because of a clogged drain. If the evaporator drain becomes restricted, the water backs up in the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) case. The case is designed to allow water to travel to the bottom and out the drain tube. The case is not designed to be completely water tight in the event the drain becomes clogged. Sometimes if excess water remains in the case, some of it can blow out of the AC vents. In extreme cases the water can damage the blower motor and/or short out the blower resistor. Usually the blockage is caused by debris in the case, like leaves or dirt. Many times the evaporator drain can be cleared by blowing compressed air into the drain from the firewall side. A metal coat hanger can also be used to stick into the drain tube to loosen the debris and allow it to exit with the water.

The Chrysler Sebring pictured at the beginning of this article has a separate drain tube that attaches to the firewall which prevents the o-ring fix from being used. The problem is that the drain tube attaches to the firewall and NOT the drain on the case. If the seal is bad, the water can leak inside the car regardless of the firewall mounted hose. In cases like that (the Sebring and also Stratus) – the evaporator case has to be removed and the seal replaced or resealed. On every evaporator I replaced (any make/model) – I would always apply “Right Stuff” sealer to the bottom portion of the seal, to prevent a water leak after I’ve had the case out. Having to remove the case to repair the leak is obviously the worst case scenario, but sometimes it can’t be avoided.

Another cause of water leaking into the passenger compartment can be the HVAC case seams simply leaking. On the Chevrolet Cavalier and Cobalt the HVAC case uses a groove and tongue system that has no sealer from the factory. If the case becomes slightly distorted, it can allow water to blow past this seam and leak onto the carpet near the drain. The evaporator case has welded plastic rivets, that holds the housing together; if the case is removed, the welds have to be drilled out to separate it. When the case is apart, a sealer can be used like silicone or Right Stuff (my preference) in the seams. When putting the housing pieces back together screws are installed in holes that are provided. It is possible that the seams near the drain can be sealed externally with a sealer on the Cavalier or Cobalt. It is necessary for the sealer to work, that the area it is being applied to is completely dry. It’s also necessary to allow plenty of time for it to dry before running the AC.

Question: I have a Mitsubishi that leaks water on the driver’s side and wets the carpet. Could this be condensation from the air conditioner? If so how can I repair the leak?

Answer: The evaporator drain is on the driver’s side on some Mitsubishi models. If the drain seal is bad the water can run back inside, usually underneath the carpet. On the Mitsubishi Endeavor, the drain cannot be seen from the outside of the vehicle. I have been successful with the Endeavor and other Mitsubishi models, resealing around the drain without removing the case. 1. I removed the gas pedal and pulled the carpet back. 2. Removed the bad seal from around the drain with a pick. 3. Dried the area thoroughly with compressed air. 4. Wore latex gloves and applied Right Stuff, forcing it around the drain and through the firewall. – A bit messy, but definitely worth a shot before removing the entire dash and case.

Question: Can I fix the drain with the use of silicone instead of Right Stuff?

Answer: Probably. However I prefer Right Stuff because it sticks to surfaces better and dries harder, more like rubber when it is fully cured.

Question: I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan, should I try adding a hose to the drain or would the o-ring fix work for my van?

Answer: The plastic drain, will not accept an “L” shaped rubber hose, due to the slot that is cut out in the bottom part of the plastic tube (which is part of the case). The o-ring fix for your van should work well to prevent AC condensate from leaking back into the vehicle under the carpet. According to Chrysler TSB 24-001-06, this should work on all Dodge Caravans and Chrysler Town and Country vans from the year 2001-2006. The dealer/factory/OEM part number for the o-ring is 68001994AA, although any o-ring that fits over the plastic drain tube should work.

The tips in this article are very basic and NOT intended to be a complete guide for servicing your AC system. Please refer to a repair manual for further instructions.

Related Car Repair Articles and Products

Basic Car AC Gauge Set Hook-Up

Adding Freon to Car AC – Gauge Readings Explained

Car AC Not Blowing Cold Air – Charging Tips and FAQ’s

Other AC Articles

1. Rigoberto Garza :

Date: May 15, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

i have a 2001 cavalier and it drips bigtime in the passenger carpet..what should i do? some people are telling me that there is a drain plug? clogged line? help me?

2. David :

Date: June 25, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Thank you, The information I found here was very informative. I think you just saved me a lot of money for something I can do myself.

Just want to say THANK YOU!

3. Denise :

Date: June 28, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

Thank you! Very helpful. Whenever I use my A/C on my ’03 Stratus, my drivers side floor gets soaked. I’ve taken it in before, and all they have done was “unclogged the line” but it’s still doing it. I will be taking it in again along with your post.
    ~Denise

4. bob woodie :

Date: July 8, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

I drilled the hole and found the drain clear,its behind the drain that is leaking.what do you think I should use to seal behind the drain? where would I find this stuff called right stuff? I would like to give you kudos for helping people fix there problems.Oh bye the way my car is a 94 grand cherokee,any ideas would be great.Thanks woodie

Date: July 8, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

Not much time to spare at the moment, but Right Stuff (sealant) can be found at most parts stores.

6. roy gott :

Date: July 11, 2010 @ 11:37 am

i have a 2007 chevy uplander that is leaking. i have tried a coat hanger and an air compressor. it still leaks. if you pull the carpet and padding up on the floor board going up the firewall there is another rubber pad and it is soaked. what can i do?

Date: July 11, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

Excerpt “Another common cause of water entering the passenger compartment can be from a faulty seal which is located between the HVAC case and the firewall. The water can drain out of the tube (unrestricted) – then run back to the firewall and leak into the passenger compartment, underneath the carpet. This is actually quite common with vehicles that don’t use a rubber “L” shaped hose on the plastic drain tube. Chrysler dealers (especially when vehicles are still under warranty) will sometimes install a simple rubber o-ring onto the plastic drain. When the water starts to run back on the underside of the tube towards the firewall it meets the o-ring. When water touches the o-ring, that causes it to drip downward instead of traveling the full distance to the firewall and entering the passenger compartment past the faulty seal.”

8. joseph :

Date: July 20, 2010 @ 12:38 am

2007 nissan pathfinder water leaking iside the passenger side. It only happens when the AC is on. I already cleaned the drain hose that is attached to the firewall, but it’s still leaking. any suggestions?

9. Ludwig120 :

Date: July 22, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I have a 1999 ford fiesta trend, and there is some water spraying onto the carpet on the passenger’s side.

any idea what might it be?

10. Ray Saenz :

Date: July 22, 2010 @ 9:50 pm

Have had this problem on 03 Caravan for several years. Great help–the best information I have found on this seemingly well known problem that dealers will not take care of.
    Thank you much.

11. Whitney :

Date: July 27, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I just had body work done and with that got a new compressor, fan, clutch, etc. The AC has a fresh charge. Went on a long trip in NC and had dripping from the 2 center vents and dripping in the passenger floor. Took it back to the shop and they said just condensation????

Date: July 27, 2010 @ 10:52 am

Whitney, I would see if they can arrange for the condensation to drip OUTSIDE the car! It is normal for condensation to drain off the evaporator, but obviously it should drain out the bottom through the tube. If the drain is clogged, water can blow through the vents and out the seams of the case,

13. Rock :

Date: August 30, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

1996 Honda Accord w/ Water Dripping (a bunch) on passenger side. I thought the drain line was clear, but will try the compressed air idea. Any idea what it takes to remove the black plastic box under the glove box? This box has the drain attached which goes through the firewall. Not sure where the water is coming from, but seems to dump out w/ a hard left or right turn.

Thanks for the info., it was helpful.

Date: August 31, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Rock, Try the tips in the blog, sounds like the drain is clogged.

To remove the “black box” (evaporator case) may be more involved than you are prepared for. Removing the refrigerant is required prior to removal. I recommend getting repair manual information before attempting this. See our repair manual info page linked at the top of this page.

15. matt :

Date: September 1, 2010 @ 11:50 am

What do I do? I have a 1997 chevy malbu and is leaking on passenger side.

Date: September 1, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

Matt, you may find some of the information in the article above helpful.

17. Jason :

Date: September 13, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

I have a 99 Montana which is dripping water into the front passenger floor, right under the inside blower. Do you have any advice on unclogging something…? I can’t seem to find the source of this water. Also, (possibly) related is now every time I turn left, I hear ~scraping~ noises out of the blower compartment behind the glove box. Would appreciate any help. We are in Louisiana and run A/C on recirculate nearly every day. Thanks!

Date: September 13, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Jason, sounds like a clogged drain like mentioned in the repair article. The scraping sound most likely is the water touching the blower cage – the water level could rise on one side a little when taking turns. The blower drain tube should be visible on the engine side of the firewall on most cars. refer to the article for suggestions on unclogging it.

19. Zach :

Date: September 25, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

i have a 2001 nissan pathfinder and i leeks on the passenger side floor bord and im not shure were the drain hoes is located

20. jean :

Date: September 26, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

I have a Jaguar xtyppe 3.0 and I have had a problem with water gushing out onto the passenger side carpet and then runs to back floor as well. (lot of water) No smell to this water, the mechanic states it’s from an animal getting up inside and causing the problem. After only less than 10 days out of shop again- the water is pouring out again. I live in Florida. What specifically needs to be fixed? I am thinking the leak is other than what he is saying. Thanks for any insight.

Date: September 26, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Wow Jean, the animal must have drank a lot of water! Just Kidding.

If leaves or debris from an animal making a home in your evaporator case is present, it could clog the drain. When the drain is cleared, the debris could make it’s way back down into the drain and stop it up again. Sometimes the case may need to be removed and disassembled for cleaning. Other times the blower motor can be removed to access the trash inside the case for cleaning. Hopefully, the blower can be taken out and a shop vac can remove the debris. The blower motor labor on most cars is a lot less involved than removing the entire case. Good Luck

22. Jae dog :

Date: May 22, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I have a dodge caravan 01. Water is coming in passenger side corner when ac is on. When I check the under carriage I see water dripping under near engine and also leaking out from under passenger door? Please help dealer said it was a clooged hose that they supposedly fixed. Jaw dog

Date: May 22, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Most likely the gasket between case and firewall.

24. tay :

Date: June 23, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

i have a 98 toyota camry. my floor boards are soaked. i’ve taken a hanger and drained it. it helped for about a week. could something else be wrong?

Date: June 23, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Tay, the fact that it helped for a week indicates that there was a blockage. The evaporator case may need to be taken out and cleaned more thoroughly. Good Luck.

26. Irene :

Date: June 28, 2011 @ 11:13 am

I have the same problem with my ’07 GMC Acadia, but can’t seem to find a drain hose – can you tell me if it has one, and where I should look? Also, by the time I discovered the water problem, my fan motor has been affected. at first (before I discovered the water problem), I could get it going by giving it a spin, but now, it won’t work at all. Is it possible to replace the ‘brushes’ in it? by the way, I’m a 71 yr young woman, which goes to proove to you’re never to old to learn *& repair!) thanks for the help!

Date: June 28, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

Irene, Thanks for the comment. It is common for blower motors to fail when an evaporator drain has been restricted for awhile. I’ve seen water mist though the vents before, because of a stopped drain – all that water is not good for electrical parts. I’m not aware of a brush or rebuild kit for the blower motor. You could check with a parts store, but my guess is that they will just have a replacement blower assembly available. Also be sure to check the electrical contacts where the blower pigtail connections are. The blower module (or resistor) can start to melt down from too much draw or poor connections. I’ve seen the plug melted so severely that it could not be unplugged. With the blower motor removed, look for debris like leaves. Remove with a shop vacuum. Also, it may be possible to flush the remaining dirt from the case with a water hose. This may unlodge whatever is stopping up the drain. The drain hose should be located on the outside of the firewall and may be difficult to access. Look for it on the passenger side in the eng. compartment. 71 huh? That’s great! Good Luck.

28. Danny :

Date: July 9, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

I have a 03 Toyota corrola and the ac leaks on the inside passenger side. I took it to a mechanic last year and he blew underneath the car with compressed air and debris came out and water. Now, it is happening again. What can I do?

Date: July 9, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

Danny, AC water leaks are common if the drain is clogged. Frequent parking under trees will cause debris to find it’s way inside the evaporator case and clog the drain. This can happen even faster than if never parking under trees. Although, simply driving down open roads, pollen and other small particles can enter the fresh air intake for air conditioning. Sounds like it’s time to clean the drain and park AWAY from trees! Good Luck.

Date: July 10, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I have as 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer. When the AC is turned on and I turn, water comes flooding onto the passenger side floor, I can hear the water gushing from inside the car. Do you think this may be from a loose hose? ALso when the AC is on, I can feel a dramatic decrease in “pickup” when I hit the gas.

31. Julie :

Date: July 21, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry. I noticed when I got the car a few months ago that the a/c leaked on my foot when i was driving when I left it on too high for a while after the car was cooled down, well after a big storm behind my drivers seat has been soaked, i have soaked up 6 towels in the past few days with the water and it still keeps coming. I recently noticed that under the mat of the drivers seat is also a little wet, not as wet but wet. when i pulled the mat out of the back seat a few days ago it was pouring out water. I’m going to try to clear the line this weekend, but would it really produce enough water to soak my back seat create like puddles almost in the back?

Date: July 22, 2011 @ 6:46 am

Julie, it sounds like there could be two DIFFERENT problems. The AC drain water can travel underneath the carpet, but since you have such a large volume of water in the back and it was after the storm; the majority of it is most likely from the rain. The AC drain water leak is not related to the leak that happend during the “big storm”. The A/C leak only happens when the AC is on and the other leak is from rain. I would fix the AC water leak and check the outside water leak separately. Outside water like rain (or from a car wash) can leak from a window or door that was not closed all the way. This can be a one time occurence, when one or the other just isn’t closed all the way. There could also be torn (or worn) weather seals, which are also called “body seals” or door seals. The seals mounted on the car are body seals and the the seals attached to the doors are called door seals. Also check window seals and adjustment of windows, especially windows that don’t have frames encororated into their designs. (Don’t even get me started on convertibles.) I would inspect all the the seals closely to make sure they are all in good condition and make sure doors and windows don’t leave any gaps when they are closed. Checking leaks with a water hose may be the next step. However, fixing water leaks (if not an obvious bad seal) can be very frustrating. In fact, most technicians hate em! Many dealerships call an outside guy in, (sublet a specialist) to work on water leaks. At the last shop I worked at, he was the “Water Doctor”. A rare breed. It takes a lot of patience and experience in many cases to deal with outside water leaks (they also deal with excessive wind noises). Hopefully your problem is something simple, I went into more detail, in hopes of helping not just you but maybe other readers too. Good Luck.

33. Julie :

Date: July 22, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Well I thought maybe the sun roof wasn’t sealed totally but then the water wasn’t going away and the stuff that was on the floor on my back seat was wet from the bottom up not bottom down and my seat wasn’t wet or anything so that didn’t make too much sense. I am going to take it to the garage here shortly and show them the article and the comments, hoping that I can just ask them to do it and they will not charge me a ridiculous amount. Thanks again!!!

Date: July 22, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Julie, sun roofs have a whole other set of problems. Besides the seal, a common issue with them can be the drain. The drain can get clogged and cause a water “back up”. The drain is behind the headliner and may go down behind the pillar trim. There actually could be 4 drains exiting from all four corners of the sunroof track. So, it could be that the water leaked behind the trim and underneath the carpet. Good Luck.

35. Al Hargadon :

Date: July 26, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

So where can I take my 2005 Sebring convertible that’s near Orlando …… I have squeezed the drain tube at the firewall and nothing appears to be clogged. I just recently removed all the carpet and within 30 minutes of running the AC water starts leaking on the passenger floor.

Date: July 27, 2011 @ 6:39 am

Al, I don’t have a specific shop to recommend in your area. In your case, you may want to check Angies List or ask friends for a recommendation.

However, I usually recommend to car owners to find a repair shop before your car is in urgent need of repair. The easiest and least stressful way to try a shop’s services out, is to schedule your car for an oil change. By scheduling your car for a simple service, you can get to know the place, see if it seems trustworthy, organized and professional. Look for ASE certifications or dealer training certifications while your there. Ask about their other services and conditions of warranty on parts and labor. Good Luck.

37. Darren Trueman :

Date: July 31, 2011 @ 11:17 am

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK and the water leaks from under the glove box in the passenger side. I’ve managed to get my head under there and can see some of the coolant lines but can’t replicate the leak while I’m under there. Could this be condensation from the line or do you think it is a drain or seal problem as seems to be the problem in most of the other cases. The water can reall y leak when I crank up the a/c? Thanks for your help.

38. Alex Tarampi :

Date: August 8, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

i got a mitsubishi lancer es 2001 my problem is it was leaking on the blower side. I had changed already the blower because it didnt work before due to leaking or got burned. What is your analysis that cause the leak on the system. Thank you very much if you could email me ther procedure to troubleshoot it.

More power

Date: August 9, 2011 @ 6:37 am

Alex, clogged drains and/or bad seals are still the leading causes of evaporator water leaks inside the car. Start the car up and look underneath the case and you should be able to pinpoint where it’s cominig from. Good Luck.

40. Ted :

Date: August 11, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

I have a 94 Honda Accord the AC started leaking after they worked on my fans and had taken the dash out for some reason. It’s leaking inside on the floor, passenger side and I think on the drivers side wife said she felt a drip on her leg, don’t know about that for sure but do know it leaks on passenger side as carpet got wet.

Date: August 11, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

Ted, that’s easy. I would take it back to whoever worked on it. Good Luck.

42. Ted :

Date: August 12, 2011 @ 9:33 am

OK thanks, I went ahead and found the tube that comes out and stuck some weed eater line up it and about a half glass of water came out. Hopefully that did it. I’m not too crazy about taking it back to those that worked on it before.
    Thanks again,
    Ted

43. Lyle :

Date: August 24, 2011 @ 1:17 am

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog and Q & A which I find extremely helpful. I have a Honda 93 Dx Hatchback which recently went through an AC overhaul- after a couple of months I started seeing water trickles which suddenly became gushes. I brought it back to the shop and they worked it out, they said I had a faulty housing for the evap and they did a couple of modifications on it, but after that- I still see trickles sometimes, not a major leak but is this just condensation?

Date: August 24, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Lyle, Don’t overlook the possibility of a restricted drain. If I were checkng the car, I would look to see where the water is coming from (inside leaking out or condensation build up on the outside of the case). Any water you find will be “condensation” however if it’s leaking from the inside of the case there’s a problem. If water is building up on the outside of the case from humid air contacting the outside of the cold case resulting in condensation and a drip; there’s not much you can do. The evaporator may be contacting the inside of the case (instead of having an insulating barrier) aggravating the problem. Good Luck.

45. brenda :

Date: September 5, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

water leaking when i hit the brake on my feet..i have a van

Date: September 6, 2011 @ 6:18 am

Brenda, if I were checking it I would try cleaning the drain. Good Luck.

47. Pam :

Date: September 8, 2011 @ 10:07 am

2007 Chev Uplander, carpet soaked on driver and passenger floor. We can’t find drain tubes. Please help. Thanks

Date: September 8, 2011 @ 11:20 am

When running the A/C look for dripping water from the passenger side exterior of the firewall (on the engine side). Unless it’s stopped up completely there will be some dripping which will lead you to the drain. On the 2007 Chevrolet Uplander, it doesn’t have a rubber hose, just a plastic drain tube. It’s hard to see due to the firewall insulation obstructing the view. It will be easiest to see from underneath the vehicle. As always, be careful around hot exhaust pipes and only get underneath a raised vehicle that has jack stands in place for safety. Good Luck.

49. Jason :

Date: September 11, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt, its leaking, inside from the ac on passengers side, got it drain and it still leaking, what can it be? How can I fix it? Thanks

Date: September 11, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Jason, as with any car with this problem it requires eliminating the stopped drain issue and then seeing where the leak is coming from. If the case has to come out like I described in the article for Cobalts, it wold definitely be beyond the skill level of most do it yourselfers. You may however apply some sealant to the grooves without dis-assembly providing the leak area (after you pinpoint it) as long as it is accessible and DRY when sealant is applied. Although, the best way to seal up the HVAC case is the way I said in the article. Good Luck.

51. Barry :

Date: October 3, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Mitsubishi Gallant 2006.leaking water in car from plugged tubes

52. amani :

Date: October 26, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

daihatsu terios problems driver wet carpet ac drain clean dont know what is it

53. Doug :

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 8:34 am

My 01 Town & Country had the evaporator replaced a few months ago and now the shop is closed, so I’m on my own. I’ve used compressed air and hanger to clear the line twice now. I continue to get large amounts of water on passenger side. I get minor dripping on my foot, but most water seems to be coming from where I see the plastic casing enter the firewall from the inside. Can I simply try sealing that somehow or does it need to be taken apart and sealed from inside the casing? Out of work and can’t afford mechanic now so I’ll attempt taking this dash out if need be. Please advise.

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 8:51 am

Doug, I would probably try the o-ring trick mentioned in the article. If that doesn’t work, it might be possible to take an angled pick to remove the old worn seal (pull the carpet back and tuck it under itself to allow room to work). After the old seal is removed I dry it thoroughly and use Right Stuff Sealant making sure it is squeezed through the hole in the firewall from passenger side outwards thoroughly. Let it dry 24 hours without using the AC or Heater system. I have done this successfully in a few Mitsubishi vehicles instead of removing the dash and HVAC case.

55. Doug :

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 9:20 am

So I understand:
    – your saying the o-ring goes on the drain hose outside on the engine side of the firewall?
    – The right stuff goes on the inside of the van where it meets the firewall?

Thanks so much -

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 9:32 am

That’s pretty much right Doug, except remove the hose and the o-ring goes on the plastic tube. The o-ring would be the simplest fix and most likely will work. The Chrysler dealers do this all the time if the vehicle has a problem and is still under factory warranty. The o-ring may break after a year or two, but that’s all the dealers need for the warranty to expire! Good Luck.

57. Doug :

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Great, thanks for the help on my wife’s van.

Another one for you. Last fall for a few weeks my 2000 Jeep grand cherokee laredo’s a/c won’t blow cold occasionally until I drove 20-60 minutes, the it would suddenly be fine. This week it started that again about half the time I start it the air isn’t cold for 20-60 minutes. Any suggestions?

Date: October 31, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Doug, could be an intermittent electrical issue with the coil for the clutch, a relay, a connection etc. I would check for power and ground at the coil when the problem occurs. Good Luck.

59. Jose :

Date: November 30, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

3 days ago I changed the water in the radiator but put something called distilled water to clean the radiator. I bought it at auto zone, the guy that works there told me that when I put the distilled water I had to run the car for 20 min. with the AC on at high. Then next day a smell from the AC came out, smelling like from the destilled water. Yesterday on my way from work a turned on the AC on high just to the floor vents. So this morning water from the AC the leaking to the carpet, only the passsenger’s side.

Thanks, Jose

Date: November 30, 2011 @ 12:15 pm

Jose, it may not be related to the radiator/cooling system flush. Distilled water is recommended to be mixed with coolant rather than just tap water. Regular water from the faucet can cause electrolysis over time and can cause erosion. So the Auto Zone worker was correct in saying to use distilled water. I would pressure test the cooling system to see if there is a leak. Sometimes after flushing a system, there could be a leak from a heater core that was previously sealed with rust or gunk. Another possibility is that you have condensation from the evaporator leaking inside that is unrelated to the engine’s cooling system. Good Luck.

61. Jen S :

Date: February 3, 2012 @ 12:03 pm

I took my 2006 Grand Vitara through a car wash yesterday and a few blocks later there was a wooshing noise from the front pass. side where the air conditioning system is. I would hear it when we accelerated and it would not be there when the a/c was off. So I discontinued A/C use. It sounded like water. It eventually stopped making the noise. Then this morning, the passeng. floorboard was all wet. There was water leaking from the compartments underneath where the glove box area is. Could this be related to the car wash? There is no smell to the liquid, and it has not rained recently.

Date: February 3, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Jen, there’s a couple of things to understand, to diagnose this problem.

1. The fresh air intake for HVAC (Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning) systems on most vehicles is through the cowl area in front of the windshield. This is where fresh air enters the car.

2. If there is a clogged drain for the evaporator case, excess water will build up in the HVAC case. It can be heard swooshing around on turns. The case may leak at the seams if it gets enough water accumulated. Normally the water comes from the evaporator when air passes through it’s fins/coils. This is normal and usually is only a problem if the drain is restricted.

Sounds like the car wash forced excess water into the evaporator case – this along with a partially clogged drain caused your issue.

I would make sure that the drain which is located along the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger side is clear. It’s best to use compressed air and/or a metal wire like a coat hanger. Caution; Don’t stick the wire inside the hole more than a couple of inches as to NOT damage the evaporator.

On future visits to the car wash I would set the AC controls to MAX or Recirculate. This will close off the fresh air door preventing air and water from entering the HVAC case. Good Luck.

63. Carol C :

Date: March 2, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Hi…liked all the comments as I have a leak under dash. Did anyone ever use a small mirror to look under the dash as you can see better without sticking your head under there. Mine started leaking after using windshield wipers..thought that was it. Now leaking more and need to have it checked. Thanks for giving me some idea of what it might be. I hope mechanic will try and clean tube rather than telling me the dash must come off and charging me an arm and a leg..lol. Thanks again!

64. Dan H :

Date: March 15, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that has been leaking from the condensation hose for about a week but the a/c has not been used. Is this a problem?

Date: March 15, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Dan, you may have a heater core leaking or condensation from the A/C system. The A/C may come on some even though you are not using it to cool. The HVAC system uses the A/C (it cycles on briefly) to remove moisture from the passenger compartment to help to defog the windshield. I would determine if it is coolant or just clear water and go from there. Good Luck.

66. Dan H :

Date: March 15, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

Thanks, the liquid seems to be water (clear and odorless). I recently had my coolent system flushed (2-3 months ago), I will continue monitoring it. Thanks again, your site is very helpful

67. Moe :

Date: March 15, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

where is the location of drain tube in xk?

Date: March 15, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Moe, a good rule of thumb when looking for the evaporator drain on any car is look along the firewall on the engine side. On most cars it will be on the passenger side. If the A/C water drips any at all, follow the water. Good Luck

69. Tajh B :

Date: May 11, 2012 @ 1:40 am

I have a 98 cavalier and it is leaking in the front and following to the back seat floor boards. a friend said prob clogged line, but where do i even begin to try and fix it. where are they located or what can i use to tell me where and how to fix it. thank you

Date: May 11, 2012 @ 6:59 am

Tajh, As I wrote in the article there are several possible causes of water dripping inside the car. Your friend that said the line (or drain tube) is clogged could very well be right. The drain can be hard to find. As a rule of thumb the drain is located on the firewall, on the engine side and usually on the passenger side. Sometimes it can be seen by just opening the hood and other times it may only be seen from underneath the vehicle. I would run the AC and look for any trickle of water dripping and follow it back to the drain. Remember the car’s engine and exhaust are hot so take precaution. After finding the drain, compressed air may be used to blow into it and hopefully loosen the debris and allow the water to flush the drain clean. I might also try a coat hanger or similar wire to loosen the debris. I wouldn’t stick the wire in more than 2-3 inches to avoid possible damage to the evaporator. In some instances the HVAC case is so full of dirt, leaves and other debris that it may stop up again frequently. The case may need to be removed and cleaned (better left to a pro). Sometimes removing the blower motor to access part of the inside of the case can be done to clean it out. Hopefully the tips in the article and the ones I’ve added in this response can help to resolve your problem. Good Luck.

71. Jen :

Date: May 11, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

I have a 04 Stratus, my diver’s side carpet is socked. I have looked up and read everywhere to find the drain hose but am unable to find it. do you know where I can find a picture or a diagram of where exactly the drain hose is? I’ve even done the looking for water dripping under the car and there is no hose there.

Date: May 11, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

Jen, like I said in this article, on the Sebring and Stratus, the evaporator case may need to come out to seal. I did another article on the 2004 Stratus with pictures of the evaporator job. Basically the same work needs to be done to remove the case to seal the leak and clean the case out. Click on (the Sebring and also Stratus) for more information.

73. Cynthia :

Date: June 12, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Can water draining back into your vehicle from a/c cause damage to transmission if not repaired? I have 1997 Jeep Cherokee. The passenger side on the floor is all wet.

Date: June 12, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Cynthia, water leaking inside the passenger compartment can cause many issues, like smell from mold, electrical shorting, etc. But, never heard of a transmission failing because water from the AC leaked inside the vehicle. If water somehow gets inside the transmission, that would cause issues. Good Luck.

75. ken :

Date: June 19, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

I have 2001 sebring, same issue as everyone,can I blow out the drain tube with an air hose? Is that safe?

Date: June 19, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Ken, sure it’s safe. If your problem is a slight clog and not the seal being bad, blowing with air should help. Good Luck.

77. ken :

Date: June 19, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

Thank you very much.

78. Jeremiah :

Date: June 24, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry. After about a year of a non-functioning A/C due to a leak in one high side line, I finally recently replaced the line and recharged the system. The A/C works great now, very cold but a water leak has developed on the floor board of the driver side and if a long trip also on the floorboard of the rear passenger side only when the a/c is on. I will first try to clean the drainage tube, but have no idea how to find it or what to look for. Will it just look like other A/C lines with an open end to drain water? Much thanks!

Date: June 25, 2012 @ 6:30 am

Jeremiah, no the drain looks nothing like the AC pressure lines. Sometimes the drains are hard to find, but in most cases they are just small rubber elbows sticking out of the firewall. Good Luck.

80. Monica :

Date: June 26, 2012 @ 11:25 am

I have a 05 Cadillac StS when the a/c is on full blast the water drips on the driver side floor board. What are some things I can ck myself b4 I take the car to get looked at by the dealership.

Date: June 26, 2012 @ 11:41 am

Monica, I would check the things mentioned in the article above. Good Luck.

82. ken :

Date: June 30, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

I took my 2001 sebring to the shop today to blow it out,they cant seem to see a tube at all or see anything coming out of the firewall.but no water is draining for sure. Can you give me a hint as to where it might be located on this car,Its a 01 lxi coupe,with 6 cyl.2.7 I think…Thanks ken.

Date: July 1, 2012 @ 5:01 pm

The image below is actually of a Stratus not a Sebring, but the red circle shows the approximate drain location. Good Luck.

84. ken :

Date: July 1, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Dennis, thank you its going back in tuesday,I will bring this with me. You are a great help to us out here in the wild…

85. Adam Fischer :

Date: July 9, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

I had the craziest thing happen. Took my car to get an oil change and the guy who did the oil change plugged the drain hole for the A/C with a socket from his socket wrench. He left it on there and the water just accumulated and started coming out on the passenger side. The question I have, do you think this kind of blockage can create any type of damage? I have a 2012 Hyundai Tucson (note that the oil was NOT changed by my dealer, but a third party shop)

Date: July 9, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Adam, Short term no. If things are not dried out quickly though, mold could grow in the carpet and padding. Good Luck.

87. Sue :

Date: July 10, 2012 @ 6:54 am

My 2007 GMC truck started leaking condensation water inside the truck. I was able to find the L shaped hose and once a wire was put into it, all the water drained out. Then about a week later it was dripping again in the car, same thing, used the wire and it drained out. This has happened four times already. Should I use a can of air and blow it into it? Won’t that push whatever might be in there farther in?

Date: July 10, 2012 @ 7:04 am

Sue, A can of air like used to clean electronic parts will not be strong enough for clearing your drain. I would use air from an air compressor which I call “shop air”. When vehicles are parked under trees a lot, leaves can get into the case blocking the drain. If you have a lot of leaves in the case, blowing to clear the drain may just be a temporary fix if it just blows the debris back a little. Sometimes clearing the drain a few times can help flush out the trash.

Extreme Cases

On some vehicles you can remove the blower motor and access some of the trash. Other times the case may need to be removed taken apart and cleaned. Since much more work is involved in extreme cases, it may be worth trying all other options first. And avoid parking under trees whenever possible and if you have a cabin air filter, keep it clean. Good Luck.

89. Smell Coming From Inside Car or Vents | Denlors Auto Blog :

Date: July 20, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

[…] that clogged evaporator drains will cause more potential for this problem – see our related AC article for more […]

90. Dawn :

Date: July 30, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

We have a 2008 Ford Taurus that did not leak until we had the windshield replaced. Now everytime it rains the passenger floor gets soaked. We had the company who installed the windshield look at it and they said it wasn’t the windshield and they cleaned out the drain. Didn’t help. It is making the car have a mildew smell when we first start the car and have the air conditioner on. What else should we try?

Date: July 31, 2012 @ 7:23 am

Dawn, I would pull the carpet back and get the water hose out to do some leak testing of my own. With the carpet in place the water can trail underneath it, making it very hard to see the origination point. I would also check the water shield that is positioned over the cabin air filter. The cabin filter on the Taurus is located under the passenger side windshield, black plastic cowl cover – see the image below. If the water shield  is not in it’s proper position, outside water could be draining down into the fresh air inlet and flooding the evaporator case. Another way to check that without taking it apart is to see if water is draining out of the evaporator drain when doing the water hose test (with AC off). Outside water shouldn’t be coming out the evaporator drain. If all else fails I would get a second opinion. A local car dealer may have a water leak specialist that they can refer you to. The one in our area is called the water doctor. It can take a lot of patience to find and repair some outside water leaks. Good Luck.

92. benjamin hiott :

Date: July 31, 2012 @ 3:07 pm

I have an 87 rx7 turbo II. I was driving on the interstate and I got on the boost. When I did and the revs climbed, water sprayed on my feet! what is that? Help!

Date: July 31, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Water on the feet when it’s not raining means either AC water or coolant from the heater core. Sweet smelling/tasting is coolant. Good Luck.

94. David :

Date: August 6, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

Dennis, I have a 2006 Chrysler Sebring sedan with the water issue. I have read all the comments. I am also getting water only on my passenger rear floor and under the seat is damp. I vaccum the water out daily pretty much. I went by Tuffy and had them blow out all my drain holes for free. Issue wasn’t resolved so they referred me to a good body shop. Is it safe to say that the issue is with the A/C when I take it to the shop and have them check that first? I am ruling out that it is my drain holes because my floor was bone dry one day and a few days later there was water but it never rained. Did I see you mention that if I set my A/C to recirculation and have my air on hi it will temporarily eliminate the leaking? Great car. Purchased in 2007 and this issue has just started recently. Should I expect to pay a ton to get this fixed? Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Date: August 7, 2012 @ 7:29 am

David, your car only has front AC. However, some cars (especially SUV’s) have evaporators in the front and in the rear depending upon if the car has a dual AC system. Running the AC on recirculate may only help to eliminate outside water (like rain) from entering and will not stop water that is building up on the evaporator from leaking. I’ve seen water leak from the front and go underneath the carpet all the way to the back floorboard. The floor may have a channel that allows this or the padding (called jute) underneath the carpet could just be completely saturated. It’s easy to tell, pull the front of the carpet up and inspect it. See the Sebring / Stratus post linked the repair article above for more information. The dash may need to come out which can be expensive. Probably 7-8 hours times a shop rate of $60-100 an hour. That doesn’t include removing the carpet and replacing the jute if needed to eliminate or stop mold. Good Luck.

96. Bill Ertel :

Date: August 8, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

2011 Camry XLE had air bag warning light come on. Turned out front to back the floor boards were soaked & shorted the warning light. Good thing as with extra plastic floor mats we have, didn’t notice the cabin water. Dealer said not a warranty item. They did unclog the drain. So far, I have wet vac’d two gallons of water from the interior.

97. David :

Date: August 9, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Well the first shop analyzed it even after I told them about the articles I read and they ruled out the A/C evaporator saying it was good. They said if it was from the evaporator then the liquid wouldn’t be clear. Sound right? They recommended I take it to a body shop. They claim they saw water coming in from the rear door leaking into the car with the side step removed. I checked all seals around the rear door and they seem to be in place. Could a seal be bad and it chaneling to the floors? They also checked the drain holes on the passenger side. What you think?

Date: August 9, 2012 @ 7:55 am

David, sounds like you or the shop are confusing several things. Water from condensation building up on the outside of the evaporator is clear and normal. The evaporator has nothing wrong with it when water drips underneath the vehicle. The problem is when the drain is clogged, a donut shaped “drain” seal for the evaporator case is bad or the case itself leaks. Water that is not clear that could leak inside the vehicle is anti-freeze (aka coolant) from the heater core. Don’t confuse the heater core with the evaporator core.

If the donut seal for the drain leaks, water can leak back inside the car.

As far as the leak at the door; You said it hasn’t rained. So if it hasn’t rained and you haven’t washed the car, have a shop determine where the water came from. Maybe choose a different shop. Not all shops are familiar with AC systems. My guess like I said before is that it’s coming from the evaporator condensation that is channeling underneath the carpet or wicking through the jute (carpet padding). Good Luck.

Date: August 14, 2012 @ 11:07 am

I have a 2005 jeep wrangler. The water is dripping from the sponge like seal behind the black box. Its draining on the inside and outside. I have stuck a clothes hanger in the tube outside of jeep. Didnt see anything come out. I was wondering if i had to take the hole dash out or is there a fast fix?

Date: August 14, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Chris, I would try the o-ring trick if there’s a solid plastic tube sticking out the firewall or silicone underneath it on the engine side. Good Luck.

Date: August 14, 2012 @ 11:48 am

Do I pull the foam looking thing off the inside or just put that stuff in large amount to cover the hole thing?

Date: August 14, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Chris, I would remove it only if I were going to pull the case and replace it. Otherwise I would try the o-ring trick if there’s a solid plastic tube sticking out the firewall or silicone underneath it on the engine side.

103. Hector :

Date: August 14, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I have a Chevy cobalt 2009 and lately it has been dripping a lot of water on the passenger side and the carpet is always wet. I checked where it is coming from and it is somewhere behind the glove department in front of the passenger side but I just can’t seem where it is? What can I do? Thanks

Date: August 15, 2012 @ 6:25 am

Hector I would look closely under the passenger side underneath the glove compartment near the floor and firewall; between the passenger compartment and the engine bay to see where the water seems to be coming from. Good Luck.

105. DaveO :

Date: August 26, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

Dennis,after reading all this I freakin. Just bought an 08 Inf G35 that is doing this on the passenger side. Under the carpet. Any insight would help. Thanks

Date: August 27, 2012 @ 6:57 am

Dave, nothing comes to mind that would be unique to that particular vehicle. Just like on any other car, I would check the drain to make sure it’s clear and that it’s not draining back inside on the underside of the tube through a worn seal. Good Luck.

107. Alex E. :

Date: September 6, 2012 @ 8:19 am

Dennis, I have a 2007 BMW 328i. AC water is leaking from the center console to the passenger floor. I had the system flushed at the drains cleaned but am still getting the same problem. Could they have missed something? Is it possible that I have a faulty seal? If so, what would you estimate a repair like that would cost?

108. Dr prasanth :

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

My ford figo is leaking on driver side ,got ac evapator replaced

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

Alex, I would take it back and have them recheck it. BMW’s are definitely more expensive to work on, I would take it to a shop that specializes in them. Otherwise you may pay for someones learning curve. Good Luck.

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

Dr., I would take her back for a follow-up. If the case wasn’t cleaned out when the evaporator was replaced, there could be a blockage in the drain. Good Luck

111. bw2141 :

Date: October 3, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

Hey Dennis, Thanks for all the advice. I have a 2007 chevy cavalier and usually when I run the ac water drips on the passenger side of the car under the dash onto the floor mats. Do you have any advice what it could be several mechanics are clueless and have no clue.

Date: October 4, 2012 @ 6:25 am

I’d inspect the case on the inside of the car on the passenger side while the AC is on and the carpet pulled back, See where the water is coming from. The seam of the case could be where the leak is, like mentioned in the article above where I wrote about the Cavalier.

113. Albert :

Date: October 24, 2012 @ 2:56 am

Hey Dennis, I have a subaru impreza 93′ model. The car put out a lot of steam via the windshield vent at first before coming to the other vents. I could hear the sound of water steaming. Later lots of warm/hot water poured on the passenger well. Does this mean a have a dead heater core?

Date: October 24, 2012 @ 6:21 am

Albert, coolant on the floor would undoubtedly mean a leaking heater core. Usually a sweet smell would be present which usually a good sign for less obvious leaks. If there was just “plain water” it could be from AC condensation not draining properly. Good Luck.

115. Beth :

Date: November 26, 2012 @ 6:29 am

Hi Dennis, I have a 2001 Toyota Corolla vvti. A month ago, I discovered a puddle on the carpet on the drivers side. Three mechanics have tried to locate the source but to no avail. The last guy said he sorted the problem by changing the seals 4 days ago, but after heavy rains yesterday, the puddle is back. What to do? Thanks in advance

Date: November 26, 2012 @ 7:31 am

Beth, I’m not sure seals you are referring to, however it’s obvious that the leak that your car has is NOT from the AC water drainage. Common leaks from outside water like rain or from a car wash can be from; door or body seals, window/windshield seals, fresh air channels and in some cases rust holes in the floorboard. If I was checking for the leak, I would start with a dry vehicle. If necessary pull the carpet out – at least pull it back. Then I would drive through a car wash and quickly look for water intrusion. You can also use a water hose in some cases. If I was unsuccessful, I would hire a specialist. In Tampa where I worked most recently at Carmax Used Car Superstore, we had a company we used called the Water Doctor. They specialize in hard to find (and repair) air and water leaks. Excessive outside air entering the vehicle causes loud wind noises when driving which makes a car hard to sell. And it stands to reason that if excessive outside air enters the vehicle, so could rain water causing the carpet to get soaked. The water doctor specializes in these type of leaks. Unless it’s an obvious seal, these type of leaks can be very frustrating to find and fix. It takes someone that has a lot of patience and experience dealing with this type of problem. I see by your IP location that you are located in Ireland. No matter where you are located, even in the United States, to find a company like this may not be easy. You may want to contact your local car dealer or body repair shop for a recommendation of a good air and water leak (water doctor) repair company in your town. Good Luck.

117. Syrena :

Date: December 11, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

Thank you for sharing this! I’m a woman, so won’t be working on my own car. I have a 2004, Saturn L300 that is leaking from somewhere under the center of the dash/floor to the carpets on both sides. Already smells like mildew. Recently had the condenser replaced, due to the air stopped working altogether. I would really like to know what I should be asking a mechanic to do. I’d rather he start with the least expensive and least invasive, unless you think the evaporator needs to be accessed. I’ll take your word for what I should be asking the mechanic. Being a lady, I don’t want to be taken, as has happened to me many times before…it is better for me to be well informed before I go to the mechanic! Thanks!

Date: December 11, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Syrena, ask if the drain is stopped up. Hand the tech a print out of the article if you would like. Good Luck.

119. Xman :

Date: January 26, 2013 @ 10:19 pm

Read the article, found some good info.

I have a 2006 Honda Accord, while I’m not getting any leaks on passenger side nor front drivers side, the back floor of my drivers side gets extremely flooded. Any idea why this is happening?

Date: January 27, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Most likely drain water flowing underneath carpet.

121. ninermom :

Date: May 28, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

My 2008 Saturn Vue XR is leaking onto the floor, mainly on the passenger side, when I turn on my AC. I have also heard a sloshing sound behind the dash. We have tried to look for the hose or plug to try and unclog the line, but cannot find it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Date: May 28, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

Sometimes they are hard to find especially when they are not dripping at all. I would recommend taking it to a repair shop so it can be raised on a vehicle lift. Good Luck.

123. toniann :

Date: June 29, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

I have a 2003 honda element that is leaking water on the passenger side ride underneath the glove compartment, I’ve tried unglogging the drain underneath the car and it still leaks any idea how to fix this?

Date: June 30, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

If unclogging the drain doesn’t work it may be time to take it to a repair shop so it can be physically checked in person by a trained tech. Good Luck.

125. Barbara :

Date: July 6, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

I have 2002 Saturn L 100 53,000 miles on it.great car. Yesterday found both front floor mats and rug all wet. Dried it with wet vac. Today my husband took it to the store and water came pouring out. Don’t know what to do…help. :-)

Date: July 6, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

Most likely an obstructed drain for the AC condensation water, see the article for suggestions. Good Luck.

127. tom davis :

Date: July 13, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

the a.c. drain hose on my 2007 buick terraza is stopped up .please tell me where it is located

Date: July 14, 2013 @ 9:32 am

Tom, I would look for a slight drip to indicate where the drain is. Other than that some are only found by looking from under the vehicle. Good Luck.

129. Odessa :

Date: July 24, 2013 @ 12:02 am

We have a 2004 Honda Odyssey this summer we are having a tremendous problem with a strong moldy smell coming from ac vents. We have tried several things that have helped:
    1. We had the ac ” cleaned out ” by car wash with ozone.
    2. We ran water through the front vents on the base of the windshield with cleaner and flushed out the ac drip holes on the bottom of the car.
    3. Got a product from auto zone that has ozone and sprayed it through the front vents.

Each thing we have done has helped, but now we have noticed when we use the windshield wipers we get a blast of moldy air. What can we do to fix this problem?

Date: July 25, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

Odessa, I would try running the AC on recirculate or max and use Lysol disinfectant on the passenger side underneath the dash. By running the AC on recirculate the air is recirculating in the passenger compartment and not taking fresh air in from the outside around the cowl area. The air return is under the dash on the passenger side, so that’s where to spray the Lysol. I would also check the carpet padding by pulling up an edge that is near the right front passenger’s foot area. If there’s any leaks bacteria can grow underneath the carpet causing an odor as well.

131. Jay C. :

Date: August 2, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

I have a 2003 explorer that I am having an AC water leak with. The water is coming out of the a/c drain, but is also coming out of the bottom of the HVAC box, through the seams on both sides. I bought Right stuff and tried to apply it to the corners where the water was coming out, but it is finding more places to leak out of.

Why would water be coming out of the seams of the HVAC box when the AC drain is not clogged?

Date: August 2, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

Jay, there could be a partial blockage of the drain. The case is not meant to be water tight if it starts filling up. I would remove the blower motor to access some of the inside of the case. Then use a shop vacuum to remove debris that may be contributing to the restriction of the drain and indirectly to the leak in the case. If it still leaks after that, this might be one of those rare times that the HVAC case needs to come completely out to be disassembled and resealed. Hopefully it wont come to that. Good Luck.

133. Nathan :

Date: August 14, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

I have a 2009 Dodge Charger SXT. It leaks water out of the bottom of the blower motor. I know it is a clogged evap drain but, all the mechanics I know cannot locate it including myself. Would you happen to know where exactly it is located so I can fix it. It only leaks when the ac is in use and I have down a lot of research but the forums never exactly tell you where it is located. Thanks for the help.

Date: August 14, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

Nathan, has to be on the bottom of the case near the firewall. Look from inside first to locate by pulling the carpet back some. If it cannot be accessed from outside with the car raised, try removing the blower motor and using a shop vacuum and a water hose flush. Good Luck.

135. tash :

Date: August 17, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

I have water coming from the passenger side of my Honda CRV when the AC is on. Not a lot just a little.what could be the problem?

Date: August 18, 2013 @ 9:04 am

From the article above “One of the most common causes of water dripping inside the car is because of a clogged drain.”

137. Shane "Captain" Morgan :

Date: August 29, 2013 @ 9:21 am

Hey Dennis,

I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus, I just recently refilled the freon in the car and now I have water build up in my driver’s side floor board. I read the common causes above but I was wondering if it could be anything else. I was also wondering where the drain that could possibly be clogged is located. If i was to have a auto shop fix this how much do you think this could run me? Thanks,

Shane

Date: August 29, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Shane, The drain is located in the same place as the Stratus – passenger side on the firewall behind the glove box area. I have no reason to suspect anything other than one of the common causes. The price to fix the problem depends on how much time is needed to make the repair. i.e. Pulling a blower motor for access is a lot less time than pulling the entire dash. Good Luck.

139. Anna :

Date: September 5, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Hello,
    Thank you for this post. It was very helpful.
    Question.. I have a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and it is drains on the drivers side. The problem is that it is draining into the car. I’ve had the drain blown out without luck. Took it into the shop and they are telling me that they have to clean out the box and it would be about four hours of labor ($300). Question is, does that sound reasonable? And, also, I had my AC system redone 13 months ago. Got a new compressor, hose, oring, drier, and new refrigerant. Could they have messed something up and it is just now showing?

Thanks in advance.
    Anna

Date: September 5, 2013 @ 1:08 pm

Anna, 4 hours would be very reasonable (especially if the dash is coming out to access). And no the compressor and drier which are out under the hood have nothing to do with the drain and evaporator case which are inside the car. Good Luck.

141. Anna :

Date: September 5, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Thank you for your help, and for getting back to me so quickly. I really appreciate it.

142. guy :

Date: March 27, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

Hello i have 2007 chevy silverado 4.8. One day i was driving and my heater started to fog my windows..so i turned off my heater and seen steam fogging up my window, and my temp on my truck gauge was getting hot, so i pulled over to notice my water in my truck was all drained i filled it back up with water,an saw where the water was leaking,,on a l shaped soft hose,,was leaking very bad even my coolant was leaking threw there..so its draining all my water…what is the problem..if its my heater core can i bypass it since its fixing to be spring and i wont need my heater..or is the leak from ac?..thank you

Date: March 27, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

Guy, yes it’s the heater core. Yes bypass it by taking the heater hoses off and looping them together with a small plastic or metal tube. Good Luck.

144. Major N. Collins :

Date: June 5, 2014 @ 7:47 pm

I own a 99 Honda Civic we started finding water on the driver side I took it too a mechanic he said the drain was probably clogged. It is still leaking water on the driver side. Is this something I can fix because we can’t use the car ac in the hot weather.
    Regards, Major N Collins

Date: June 6, 2014 @ 9:05 am

I would check to see where the water is actually coming from. 1. Sometimes there’s a clog like yor mechanic mentioned. It’s possible to clean those out from the engine side using a metal hanger or compressed air. This is a perfect DIY project. 2. There could be a lot of leaves inside the case which would require removal of the entire case and disassembly to clean – NOT a DIY project. 3. Sometimes there’s a bad seal between evaporator case and the firewall. I’ve sealed some up with silicone before and sometimes by taking the entire case out and replacing the seal. Good Luck.

146. Tammy :

Date: June 6, 2014 @ 6:54 pm

I took my daughter’s 2005 stratus in today because the floor is wet under the seat on the passenger’s side. He said he didn’t think it was a clogged drain. What else could it be? He mentioned it could be a cracked Hvac case and said it could be around $1000.00 just in labor. What are your thoughts and any suggestions?
    Thanks!!

Date: June 6, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

I would pull the carpet back and dry everything off. Then run the AC and see where the water comes from. Checking is better than guessing…. what could it be? The Stratus has a common issue with the seal that goes between the evapaorator case and the firewall. Check it though. Sometimes you can remove the old seal with a pick and use Right Stuff, which is similar to silicone but drys harder almost like rubber. It’s not easy and has to be applied to clean dry surfaces. If the seal has to be replaced, removing the case is probably $1000 labor depending on the shop’s labor rate. See my article on changing the evaporator core on a 2004 Stratus to get an idea of how much is involved.

148. Ben :

Date: June 14, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

My girlfriend has a 2012 Scion tc and the ac isn’t draining out of the tube and is leaking all over the passenger side of her car. It appears to only be leaking the most when the ac is on and for a little while after. When I look underneath the dash, water is dripping from the foam seals on what appears to be the blower for the ac. I’ve tried using wire to clear any obstructions but I’ve had no luck. 1: Have you ever worked on any Scion tc’s? 2: if so what should I do?

Date: June 15, 2014 @ 4:40 pm

I don’t remember working on that specific model, but if it’s not draining it has to have an obstruction. I’d find the drain on the outside of the vehicle and try the wire to clear it or compressed air. Good Luck.

150. Walter :

Date: June 26, 2014 @ 12:41 am

I have a 2005 chevy cobalt LS 5spd. Today randomly when the AC was running my girl friends uncle said his foot was getting wet. I looked under the the glove box and, it’s leaking water from a seam and on the plastic oval feet attached to the engine compartment. Even does it with the defrost on or heater without the AC running. I don’t suppose I could spray silicone spray on and, around the cover to stop this can I? Also where would that drain be located if thats even it?

Date: June 26, 2014 @ 7:27 am

To find the location, follow the water dripping on the outside of the vehicle to the drain. If it’s not completely stopped up that’s the easiest way to find the drain. The more humidity the more water will accumulate and drain. The seam may be able to be sealed using a tube of silicone sealant- NOT silicone spray lubricant which is a completely different product. I’ve had to remove the entire case before to reseal the seams in evaporator cases. The water drips even when the AC is off because the air conditioning compressor still runs during other modes especially defrost, to help in removing moisture from the air. The moisture is what fogs the windshield up on the inside. That’s why modern car defrost systems work so much better than in older cars that did not incorporate the use of AC during the defrost mode. Good Luck.

152. Ed :

Date: June 27, 2014 @ 8:16 am

Hi. I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer EL and I don’t know know how to replace the cabin air filter. Can you please help me with that? or give me a step by step instruction. Pictures would be awesome. :)

Date: June 27, 2014 @ 9:34 am

That’s not really related to this article. We do have an article on low air-flow through the AC vents. When looking up to see if your car was even equipped with a cabin air filter I found this “In North America, the Lancer was introduced in 2001.” So double check your year and look up a cabin air filter to see if there’s a possibility that your car even has one and then go from there. Sometimes there’s a You Tube video for certain models, but first thing’s first. Good Luck.

154. logan :

Date: June 29, 2014 @ 2:39 pm

I have a 95 dodge ram and I was replacing the heater core when I noticed the water coming from the drain tube area I was thinking of putting a 90° tube on there for the water to run down but it seems like it’s dripping from the HVAC where there use to be a foam sealer I guess that would touch the fire wall what do you think I should do to fix it?

Date: June 29, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

Yes if the foam seal has collapsed, the water can drain right back in the cab. A ninety degree tube would work if you can attach it well. Some drain tubes that are built onto the case housing have a slot cut out of the bottom which makes it almost impossible to add a drain tube. Good Luck.

156. Bill :

Date: July 13, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

Our vehicle is a 2003 Chevy Express van.Noticed carpet passenger side was wet. Can’t find drain. Water in case too, seems to drain out of case though, when more is poured in. Great article, great help. Thanks took blower motor off, vacuumed out leaves and debris, poured water in and it drained right out at the bottom where the two housings aren’t sealed.

157. Andrew :

Date: July 13, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota SLT. My a/c was working fine then stopped being as cold and then was barely coming out out the vents. I turned the a/c off and left the fan on and then water dripped from the black box on the passenger side and when I took a hard left turn water came out of the floor vent onto my feet on the passenger side. It’s acting like it thawed out because I turned the a/c back on and seemed to be working like regular. Could my drain be plugged?

158. Dave :

Date: July 13, 2014 @ 5:36 pm

On a 2003 Cavalier, the AC drain comes out thru the firewall. Evidently, it is L shaped from the case or cover. We stuck a rod into it & no water came out. I also blew air into it with no effect. What now, could the cover be cracked or split causing water to get the floor wet?

Date: July 14, 2014 @ 7:30 am

Dave, it could be stopped up still since you are getting NO water draining out at all where it should. It could be cracked, but not likely. I mentioned in the article about a Cavalier also.

Date: July 14, 2014 @ 7:34 am

It’s possible that the drain is clogged. Based on what you said, it’s also possible that the AC is getting too cold freezing up the evaporator. The expansion valve may be allowing the flow to be less than designed which can lower the temp in the evaporator to freezing in some cases. I would try cleaning the drain first and recheck before condemning the expansion valve. Good Luck.

Date: July 14, 2014 @ 7:40 am

Some drains are hard to find. I’ve worked on some vehicles that had the drain going inside the sub frame and out a hole in it. Those are rare but are impossible to reach. I would look for any water at all dripping to help lead to the drain. Sometimes seams can be sealed without taking everything apart. Other times complete disassembly of the case is required to seal everything up. I’d make sure the drain is clear before going to extremes though. These cases are not designed to hold tons of water; just low amounts of water that can drain out quickly as soon as it reaches the bottom. Good Luck.

162. kristen :

Date: July 17, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

I have a 2008 acadia. Last month I took it in and they said my evaporator drain was restricted. Not even a month later im having the same problem with water running from behind the glove box and the driver side floor is also soaked. Is there a possibility there is another problem being that I just got it cleared out

163. Tom Wands :

Date: July 21, 2014 @ 10:50 am

I had my exhaust system repaired including resonator pipe and muffler. After I got the car back I got a massive dripping from the under the dash by the passenger side. Water running onto the carpet only when the ac is activated. Is this a coincidence or is it possible something was damaged during the repairs to cause this.

Date: July 21, 2014 @ 10:57 am

Tom, there’s no remote possibility that replaced exhaust components (from exhaust system) have anything to do with your AC drain (A/C System) getting clogged. Completely different systems and not even located together. The exhaust is obviously on the outside of the vehicle and the evaporator case is on the inside.

165. RoseAnn :

Date: July 31, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

My 2004 Camry LE is leaking lots of clear water into back passenger side floor after using air conditioner. Have tried to find the AC drain tube but there is only a hole with no tube coming out of it. I’m thinking it could be pushed in. Can I access this from front passenger side floor? How difficult is it to remove carpet and do I have to remove glove box or part of dash?

Date: July 31, 2014 @ 4:26 pm

RoseAnn, sounds like evaporator water, since it’s clear and only happens when running the AC, is leaking inside and running underneath the carpet. There are sometimes channels underneath the carpet in the floorboard that allows this to happen when there’s a leak. I’ve seen water go all the way to the back, passenger foot area before without soaking the carpet too badly elsewhere. Most cars either have a plastic tube sticking through the firewall or a rubber tube (or both). This should be seen from the outside with the hood up on most cars. To “fix it” or more accurately clear the drain, I’d try a coat hanger or compressed air from an air compressor. In some cases you may be able to remove the blower motor to access and clean the case out. Leaves seem to accumulate there on a lot of cars. If you cannot clean it out that way, the glove box area will need to be disassembled, the refrigerant recovered and the evap case (usually just the part behind the glovebox on Toyotas) removed for thorough cleaning. The small case can be split (taken apart) for cleaning. The carpet would only have to come out if it had been totally saturated and the problem has been occurring for awhile and if there’s a problem with mildew as a result. To remove the carpet, first all the seats and console would need to come out. The padding underneath the carpet, called jute, is usually replaced rather than cleaned. The carpet itself can be cleaned and allowed to completely dry before reinstalling. Of course you want to check for leaks and verify the repair before installing the carpet back into the car. Good Luck.

167. Una :

Date: July 31, 2014 @ 5:07 pm

Hi , i have Chrysler Neon LX 2004 , the water appears in the front passenger seat , and behind him , i think it is air condition . I can’t find a drain , where is it , and how do i fix that by myself ?

Date: July 31, 2014 @ 5:20 pm

You should be able to see water spraying out the vents if it’s getting on top of the seat. Read the tips in the article to help pinpoint and clean the drain. Good Luck.

169. Wise Auto Tool Blog » Water Leaking Into Car Floorboard – Wetting Carpet :

Date: August 1, 2014 @ 8:17 am

[…] or other debris accumulate in the case the drain can become plugged. See the following article on Car AC Water Leaks for info on how to take care of these types of AC water leaks. If there’s coolant instead of […]

170. cwindfw :

Date: August 10, 2014 @ 10:50 am

Thank you! I printed out the directions and descriptions and took it to my mechanic who the day before said he could not fix this problem because he didn’t have the proper tools. % minutes after he pulled it in the garage he pulled it out and said here you go. He said the drain WAS plugged and the air blew whatever was clogging it up out and water went everywhere. Problem resolved!

171. Kim :

Date: August 11, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

2003 Dodge Caravan the blower works with the AC on, then it doesn’t when I use the defrost switch back to ac it stops will start working again till I switch back to defrost.

Date: August 11, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

Never heard of that issue. I’d check the system when the problem is occuring. Good Luck.

173. Lora Harvey Poppele :

Date: August 13, 2014 @ 1:04 am

I have a 2007 Ford Edge, the water leaks inside my vehicle on passenger side front floor. Much like others have described. I have been quoted a high price to repair this. It has been unplugged twice, any advice?

Date: August 13, 2014 @ 7:24 am

Lora, sometimes if the air distribution case has a lot of debris; completely removing it and cleaning it out is the only way to prevent the problem of the drain stopping back up again, from re-occuring frequently. You may be able to remove the blower motor to access and clean out part of the case without the major job of removing the entire case and disaasembling it for cleaning. I’d try an evaporator cleaner and a garden hose to try to flush out the case. During this process the drain may need to be cleaned out several times. Unfortunately there’s no evaporator cleaner that will disolve larger debris like leaves, but this may be worth a shot. Good Luck.

175. Crystal Matthew :

Date: August 18, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

Is it possible for rocks to knock an ac drainage tube out of place on a toyota camry causing a back up water into the vehicle?

Date: August 19, 2014 @ 8:49 am

Crystal, never heard that one. Can’t imagine how. Why not just check the drain…

177. LWatts :

Date: August 20, 2014 @ 9:18 am

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry (no sunroof) that has water coming into the driver side floorboard that saturates back to the driver rear and slightly over to the passenger side front.

Based on what I’ve read above and my other research, I’m guessing if there is water on the driver side it is very likely a water leak from rain, correct? Seems like clear water saturating the floor on the passenger side could be a clogged AC drain hose, water leak from the wind shield or from the fresh air inlet (heater core leak would be antifreeze\water mix on the same side). Driver side seems to be limited to just a good old leak from the window or somewhere water is running down the firewall and getting in. I feel like the car was only wet after a big rain a few weeks back, which I dried up thoroughly, and then wet again after it rained last week.

Would you agree with this assumption\assessment? Anything you’d recommend checking other than pulling the carpet back and running water over the car to watch for leaks?

Date: August 20, 2014 @ 10:46 am

If you only notice water on the floor after a rain, then yes it must be a water leak from outside. Seals around windows and doors is what I would suspect. I recently wrote an article about rain water or other water from the outside leaking into the car wetting the carpet. See the following – Water Leaking Onto Carpet. Good Luck.

179. Mike E :

Date: August 26, 2014 @ 10:53 am

I have a 2009 cobalt. I have had the problem of running the ac and it backing up and running out of the fan blower motor. At one point I had to replace the fan blower motor. It would run a various speeds and then stop. If I tapped the casing with a hammer it would start working again. But it finally quit and I got it replaced. Every few days I take a vacuum cleaner to the drain on the engine side and the water gushes out. But this week no matter how much suction nothing would come out of the engine side and it would still come out the fan blower motor. Also this only happens when I made a hard left which makes sense because the accumulated condensate sloshes to the right towards the fan blower motor. So I took a air hose and shot some air towards the plastic drain line on the engine sign and it poured right out. I saw on this forum that cobalts could have a bad seal, but from what I have described does it sound like the condensate line is clogged? And if so shouldn’t the amount of suction the dozens of times I got the water started with the vacuum cleaner have unclogged it? Any sense of taking it to the dealer? It’s not under warranty and I don’t want to pay $1,000 to have it taken apart.

Date: August 26, 2014 @ 11:34 am

Mike, there’s most likely large pieces of debris like leaves blocking the drain. If the pieces are too big they will not go through the tube. Perhaps this has worked temporarily before because enough of the blockage was cleared for a while. Imagine having an Igloo cooler full of melting ice… and leaves. You attach a shop vac to the small drain in hopes of clearing it. A couple of small pieces come through and get sucked up into the shop vacuum. The water drains. Then more leaves settle in front of the drain again and the cycle repeats. The only way to get a lasting repair if there are a lot of leaves or other debris is to access it somehow and clean it out entirely. Sometimes you can remove the blower motor and use a shop vac and a garden hose an clean it out more effectively. Other times the entire air distribution box has to come out and be disassembled (like the lid of the cooler opened) and cleaned. The dealer will not warranty this because it is not a faulty part, just an accumulation of pollen leaves etc. Good Luck.

181. Mike E :

Date: August 26, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Dennis. That makes complete sense to me.

Date: August 26, 2014 @ 3:08 pm

No problem.

183. Dottie M :

Date: September 7, 2014 @ 11:28 am

I think my AC drain line is clogged. I have water leaking onto my passenger floor. I don’t understand how to access the top of the drain line. Another site side I could just use a piece of weed water string from the bottom to break up the blockage, but I’m not sure how clean that would get the top part. Do I remove wipers and plastic cover?

I have a 2011 Chevy HHR.

Date: September 7, 2014 @ 3:16 pm

You don’t need to remve the cowl to access the drain. Water goes down. I’d look for the drain on the firewall on the engine side. A hanger would work well or compressed air. Good Luck.

185. Ian :

Date: September 13, 2014 @ 4:59 pm

I have a 2007 Jaguar XK that is leaking water from air conditioning fan on passengers side, it has also blown water out of vents. I cannot find the drain hose though, any suggestions?

Date: September 14, 2014 @ 7:52 am

Ian, look for even a small drip that may lead you to the hose. The drain hose should be located on the outside of the firewall on the passenger side in the engine compartment. If you can locate it use the suggestions in the repair article to clear the drain. On some cars you can pull the front edge of the carpet up and see where the hose goes through the firewall. Not sure if that’s the case on your particular car. On many cars the blower motor can be removed easily and debris can be removed and the case can be cleaned out using a garden hose and a shop vacuum. Be sure not to wet any electrical componenets like the blower resistor. Good Luck.

187. tony :

Date: September 19, 2014 @ 11:26 am

I have a 2002 dodge 1500 ram truck with water leaking on passenger’s floor. I see the water dripping under the box from tube thats attached to firewall. Im asking will it help to just seal that tube inside truck firewall?

Date: September 19, 2014 @ 11:39 am

It’s easier to put a drain hose on the plastic drain on the outside as long as it’s not the type that has a gap on the bottom of the tube. It might also be possible to take an angled pick to remove the old worn seal (pull the carpet back and tuck it under itself to allow room to work). After the old seal is removed, dry it thoroughly and use Right Stuff Sealant making sure it is squeezed through the hole in the firewall from passenger side outwards thoroughly. Let it dry 24 hours without using the AC or Heater system. I have done this successfully in a few Mitsubishi vehicles instead of removing the dash and HVAC case. Good Luck.

189. Lumi :

Date: September 20, 2014 @ 9:43 pm

Hello Denis. First of all thank you for your valuable information provided in this article.
    I have 2005 Chrysler Sebring Coupe 2.4 Mitsubishi engine, with water leaking on driver’s floor since 2 weeks ago. I took my car to the shop today to blow air on the drain tube, but they cant find or see a tube at all or see anything coming out of the firewall (they lifted up the car). I insist to use air pressure before they can try something else. Can you give me a hint as to where it might be located on this car.
    Your answer is really appreciated. Regards Lumi.

Date: September 21, 2014 @ 9:10 am

Lumi, thanks for the comment. There’s an article that provides much more information on the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus AC Evaporator Core R&R. The drain should be below the AC lines on the firewall side. It may be necessary to remove the case to seal the drain if unclogging it doesn’t help. If the shop that you took the car to is unable to find the drain, I would consider taking it to a different shop that has more experience with AC. Good Luck.

191. Alicia :

Date: September 25, 2014 @ 11:44 am

I have a 2005 Chrysler Sebring. The back passenger floor gets soaked wet when the ac is on but the fron passenger does not get wet. what could be the problem?

Date: September 25, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

Alicia, the water can be traveling underneath the carpet and padding in a channel in the floorboard. I’d pull the carpet up enough to inspect and verify that this is the problem. Good Luck.

193. Alicia :

Date: September 25, 2014 @ 4:41 pm

So would this possibly mean there is a leak or a crack of some sort?
    Thank you very much for replying!

Date: September 25, 2014 @ 5:17 pm

Maybe just clogged up drain. There’s an article that provides much more information on the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus AC Evaporator Core R&R. The drain should be below the AC lines on the firewall side. It may be necessary to remove the case to seal the drain if unclogging it doesn’t help.

195. Brtian :

Date: October 20, 2014 @ 1:02 pm

Hello Dennis, I have a 2013 Ford fiesta SE Sedan. The problem is, when the A/C is running water drips onto my girlfriends feet next to the kick panel,console side of the passenger side foot well, more forward to the front underside of the dashboard. The reason for the detailed location is that most of the questions regarding this problem are closer to the firewall. My water leak just drips down onto the kick panel then onto my rubber floor mat (unless my girlfriends foot is there). The car is still under warranty and my local Ford Dealer has attempted to make a repair with directions from a Ford TSB #13920 several times without success. The dealership is stumped. Lemon Law? Trade it or just stuff a towel under the dashboard?

Date: October 21, 2014 @ 7:25 am

Hello, I’m not familiar with the Ford Fiesta TSB 13920. However, it sounds like the issue your car is having has to do with moisture accumulation on the outside of the case rather than water leaking out of the case from condensation off the evaporator. It’s possible that the evaporator needs more insualtion between it and the inside of the case to prevent the outside of the case from getting so cold that it gets a moisture build up that results in a drip. I know you’re kidding about a towel, but anything like that would allow moisture to remain long enough for mildew to grow. So soaking up the moisture on the outside of the case is not a viable long term option. Let’s hope that the Ford dealer can get their act together and make the repair correctly very soon. It’s been my experience that girlfriend’s with cold feet only stick around but so long!