Power Door Locks Not Working – Diagnose and Repair

10:02 am Consumer, DIY

Wiring can cause door lock problems, switches and actuators are more common

There are several things that can cause the power door locks not to work properly. The most common cause of a single door lock not to work, is a bad door lock actuator (also called a door lock solenoid). Another common problem or cause of door locks not working is simply a bad door lock switch. Many cars today have computers that are also in the loop when it comes to controlling the door locks.

Fortunately, body computer systems are pretty dependable and give problems very seldom. It seems as though the most troublesome vehicles regarding door locks related to computer control issues, are Chrysler’s; Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country vans sometimes have BUS related issues (BUS means “a collection of wires through which data is transmitted from one computer to another”)… but this is still rare. Ford Explorers also have a few BUS issues that can be related to door lock security module, or wiring shorting out that goes from the door into the body. Usually when checked with a scan tool in the body control or security section, there will be a code indicating if there’s a BUS fault.

Problems can also include other failed parts that aren’t high tech, like a linking rod connector. Sometimes the linkage can pop off during the process of a locksmith using a slim jim or someone using a hanger to unlock a door. It’s easy to hook onto a rod and disconnect a link. In this case it’s just a matter of removing the door panel and maybe adjusting the linkage and replacing the plastic rod retainer if it was weakened or broken.

Door latches can wear, some have the door lock actuators built in and others don’t, but a worn latch in either case can cause problems. If there is too much play or excess movement, the door lock may not work dependably. When replacing door lock actuators, a lot of times they are only available as an assembly including both the door latch and actuator as a unit. It depends on the make and model how they are which design they have.

Door Lock Diagnostics. First think about the problem logically.

1. If there is only ONE door lock not working, the problem is more than likely isolated within that particular door, barring some unusual wiring issue.

2. If all the door locks work with the passenger side door lock switch, but not the driver’s door lock switch then the problem is more than likely the driver’s switch.

3. If a single door lock only works in one direction, either to lock or unlock but not both, then the problem is likely to be the door lock actuator.

4. If ALL door locks work only in one direction, ether to lock or unlock but not both, then the problem is likely to be a bad door lock switch.

For more questions and answers see the second part of this post.

Continued on Page 2.

Pages: 1 2

1. Bimal :

Date: July 17, 2009 @ 8:48 pm

I have a 2002 Honda Cr-V. And the front driver side power lock is not working. All the other door work. It still operates by hand and by the key? Whats Wrong?

Date: July 18, 2009 @ 7:16 am

Sounds like you are saying “all the locks actuators work with the driver’s door lock switch, except the drivers door lock.” So as stated in the above auto repair tips article:

1.If there is only ONE door lock not working, the problem is more than likely isolated within that particular door, barring some unusual wiring issue.

My best guess without being there checking the car personally, would be the driver’s door lock actuator.

3. jeffrey :

Date: August 14, 2009 @ 11:50 pm

I got a 1994 honda accord and when I lock the doors they work but they make a sound like they keep trying to lock and it goes for like 1 minute. I dont know what would be the problem if you can help please.

Date: August 15, 2009 @ 7:01 am

Jeffrey, If the noise is coming from ONE of the door lock actuators, then that one is most likely failing. I would try unplugging the one suspected door lock actuator to verify which one is the cause.

If the sound seems to be coming from ALL of them, the cause would have to be from something that they all have in common. That could mean something like a relay or control module. A wiring schematic for the specific vehicle may need to be looked at to help see what the exact possibilities are in the loop. ALLData provides access to wiring diagrams – see the link I’ve added to the article for more information.

5. D. Mudd :

Date: September 9, 2009 @ 3:57 pm

Power door locks wont work on 2000 mercury mountaineer. The power seats are not working either. What could be the problem?

6. dennisb - Power Door Lock Problems :

Date: September 9, 2009 @ 7:21 pm

Start with the basics, like fuses.

I would first check fuses if BOTH problems started at the same time. If all fuses are good, then a look at the vehicle’s wiring diagram would be the next step. ALLData has on-line subscriptions available that can be accessed quickly (the link is in the middle of the repair article above). If you would prefer to have a Ford tech assist on-line – see our just answer page. Most of the tech’s have access to wiring diagrams and can read them to help pinpoint the problem.

7. Jonathan :

Date: November 6, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

on my 1990 Accord, the drivers side does not work at all (no clicking noise) does not unlock or lock any of the doors, but the passengers side will lock all of the doors but will not unlock any of the doors (no clicking) any ideas on what could be the problem?

8. Barb :

Date: December 10, 2009 @ 4:47 pm

Help! My 02 Grand Caravan, the passenger side door will not unlock. I can’t manually unlock it and I can’t use the remote to unlock it. I also had problems with the door closing using the remote or push button. It would make the sound that it is closing but my door wouldnt move. Then I would have to manually close it and then it would jerk half way, I’d have to pull it back, then forward and it would jerk again. Then it would close. Could this be an actuator? My extended warranty would cover and actuator, but I hate to take it in and pay $100 if it is not the case….Any help would be appreciated!

Date: December 10, 2009 @ 5:06 pm

Barb, just so readers know which door you are talking about – it is the automatic sliding door which opens and closes when the remote switch is pushed twice or the button inside the vehicle is pressed. This motorized opening and closing is becoming very popular.

There could be a couple of different problems. The door lock actuator sounds like it could have an open circuit. And the door motor which opens and closes the door may be bad also, they both commonly fail. I definitely would let a repair shop work on it since you have the extended warranty. Just make sure the service writer understands that you expect to have this covered by the warranty. If he is not receptive, find a different service writer that will insure that no matter what the mechanical issue is, it will be covered by the warranty. Also have them look over the vehicle for any other covered repairs and suggested maintenance while it’s at the shop.

10. Max :

Date: January 30, 2010 @ 9:28 am

I have a 2000 ford expedition the driver door works with the remote and so does the trunk but all the other doors work only when they want to. Also my keyless entry doesn’t work also when i put in the code the light comes on and thats about it. Do you know what may be causing that?

Date: January 30, 2010 @ 10:27 am

Max, door lock actuators are a common failure. All other doors besides the driver’s should unlock when the remote button is pushed a secon time. It is possible there is a module issue if the locks work erratically. If the keyless entry doesn’t work for the drivers door, the most likely cause is the incorrect code being entered (but you already knew that). A dealer or locksmith type scan tool may be required to check this system out thoroughly.

12. Jen :

Date: February 4, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

My 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage driver side door will lock with a key or pressing the passenger side button. Based onmy interpretation of the above article the possibilities are damage within the door from using a coat hanger (which has been used on this door)or the switch is bad? All the other buttons (windows etc on the switch panel function). If the door panel is removed will it be obvious if it is due to damage or can it be something an untrained eye might miss?

13. Jen :

Date: February 4, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Additional question: If it is the lock switch will adding an aftermarket keyless remote work on the door (I haven’t been able to locate a replacement switch for the mirage).

Date: February 4, 2010 @ 11:26 pm

Jen, Sounds like the driver’s side door lock switch is bad since you say the driver’s lock actuator works with the passenger side lock switch (this eliminates the possibility of linkage being off). It is also possible that the coat hanger that was used previously could have snagged the wiring and unplugged the switch (not likely but a possibility).

Adding an aftermarket keyless system should work – but obviously the driver’s door lock switch is still not going to work.

15. Dalton :

Date: February 5, 2010 @ 12:48 am

I have a 94 ford bronco and none of the power door locks work at all. They don’t click or anything. But the outside key slots unlock the doors so could these be a wire grounding on the body? Or something else

Date: February 5, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Dalton, could be anything from a ground, a switch, a fuse, wiring, or a module, the list goes on. I would get a wiring circuit diagram and go from there. We have on-line auto repair manuals available linked at the top of this page.

Date: February 11, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I have a 1990 honda accord ex, and all the doors will not lock or unlock, I thought it was the driver actuator and I replaced it, but still doesn’t work. I tried following the honda manual for troubleshooting and if I jump the wires it locks but when I jump wires to unlock, it blows the fuse. Just wondering if it is the power door lock module that I need to replace?

Date: February 11, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

John, 1st the driver’s actuator should only affect the driver’s door. 2nd jumping power door locks can be tricky – usually you are reversing the polarity to work the actuator in different directions. If you do it incorrectly you can ruin a module or if you’re lucky just blow a fuse. You may want to ask a Honda tech for some guidance by using the car questions link at the top of this page.

19. Brian :

Date: March 3, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I have a ’97 Honda Accord. When i try to lock the doors, they all make the noise but only the back right door locks/unlocks…sometimes the front passenger door will but most often not…and very rarely the back left one will lock. Would it be the actuator? it also will continue to fire off the power locks every couple of minutes even after leaving the car.
    I’m trying to find the link for the auto repair manuals you mention in your comments but i don’t see the link above…

Thanks for your help!

Date: March 3, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

21. Andy :

Date: March 17, 2010 @ 10:23 pm

i have a 2000 hyundai elantra and the automatic locks only work half the time the other half i need to unlock and lock every door manualy the driver door lock is the one that locks and unlocks every other door when it works whats the problem

22. Thomas :

Date: March 29, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

i have a 97 t-bird and the door locks are really messed up. They 1/4 work. The driver side switch will unlock both doors, but not lock. The passenger side switch will not work at all. But, when driving at night, my passenger side switch lights up, like its supposed too, an my drivers side stays dark. i changed the switches, and it still didnt work. What could be the cause of this?

23. Jennifer :

Date: April 21, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Can you help me? I just bought a 2000 Ford Explorer. It has electric door locks. Both front door locks are fine, but both back doors will not unlock. I can’t even open the doors. I have taken off the plastic on the inside of the doors but I don’t know how the locks work and can’t really see anything anyway. I have tried using spray lubricant, hoping it would run down the lock button into whatever thing makes it work. So far, no luck. What can I do?

Date: April 21, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

Jennifer, the rear doors have child safety locks built-in. So if these locks are engaged you will not be able to open the doors from the inside. However, if the doors are “unlocked” the doors should be able to be opened from the outside. Make sure the doors are actually “unlocked”. Unlock them manually if necessary by pulling the link by hand or with pliers. If the doors are still not openable, the latches may be too damaged to operate. (Many times rear latches on Ford Explorers are damaged from rear passengers forcefully pulling the interior handles, unaware that the child safety locks are on.) In this case, it’s time to let a pro take over. It’s very easy to damage other components when trying to force a door open. If you would like to pursue this further yourself, you may consider asking a Ford dealer tech, to see if he’s got any tricks up his sleeve. Just visit the car repair questions page, linked at the top of this page. Good Luck.

25. Danny :

Date: April 29, 2010 @ 10:54 am

I just installed a keyless entry on my truck, well it was working fine but an hour later after putting all of the door panels back, the keyless entry will unlock but will not lock. The keyless entry works fine and functions correctly. The starter disable works when the keyless entry is engaged. The only thing is that the actuators will not lock the doors. Could it be bad ground?

26. Larry :

Date: May 5, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

I have a 2000 Expedition and one day all the door locks just stopped working. Only with the key can I unlock them. not by any of the switches or the key fob. I checked the fuses and they are good. Any ideas?

Date: May 5, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

Larry, it would obviously have to be something that affects ALL of them. After checking all of the fuses which you have already done; the next step is to get a wiring diagram from a source like ALLDATA or Mitchell. Another thought is to get help from a FORD tech that may already have an idea of what the problem could be, visit the link below for more info on this option.

Click here to visit our car questions page.

28. kevin clark :

Date: May 13, 2010 @ 11:39 pm

i have a 90 honda accord and my driver door wont open when i unlock the door ,ive done it manually and with the switch all the other doors open and close fine when i unlock them with power. thinking the driver door mech. is not unlocking all the way. how can i open the door so i can get to the locking mech screws. ive takin the interior trim off and tried manually pulling the handle rod, all the rods are properly attached.

29. kevin clark :

Date: May 16, 2010 @ 1:24 am

just an extra note when i use the power locks the lever goes up and down like its functioning properly so im sure the switch is good ,i can also do the same with the key outside and manually with the same results . when u unlock the doors the handle feels the same as when u lock the doors moves freely just not unlatching the door so u can open it. im getting tired of climbing in on the passenger side and playing dukes of hazard because its more convenient per say . any suggestions would be helpful

30. Richard :

Date: May 24, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

1994 Honda EX with power locks. They always worked until last Saturday. They just stopped working. I checked the fuse and it is okay. The symptom is no matter what switch or remote I use, all locks do not respond either up or down. Then twice hours later or next day they work a few times them just stop working. What is the common thread that all work or do not work?

Date: May 24, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

Richard, that’s a tricky one. You may want to check with a Honda tech by visting our car questions page.

32. Denise :

Date: June 8, 2010 @ 9:31 am

1998 Chevrolet Express G1500 conversion van. All door locks inop. Changed fuse but keeps blowing. The only thing done prior to this prob was to replace the telescoping antenna for the radio. Have taken it to electronic shop and they can’t find prob. Any ideas.

33. Ross :

Date: June 16, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

1999 Dodge Neon with Front Power door locks. Right front makes buzzing noise when trying to lock, drivers side makes no noise. Can lock manually. Test lighted both switches red wire with no light. Tested fuse block and is working?

Date: June 16, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

Chrysler door lock actuators many times will make a “buzzing sound” when they are bad. The fact that the one is making noise is an audible sign that it is getting voltage. That one is obviously bad. The other one that makes no noise could be bad as well. I would remove the door panel to access the wiring that goes to it and test there. If the switch is working properly, one wire will be negative and one positive when pressing the switch to “unlock” and the signals will be reversed when pressing “lock.” Trying to test wires at the switch can be tricky unless you have a good understanding of the system you are working on and have diagrams. The switch most likely signals the (BCM) Body Control Module and does not directly power the lock actuators. If more assistance is needed you may want to visit our car questions page.

Date: June 22, 2010 @ 7:23 am

My 2004 Honda Civic keyless entry unlocks all the doors but does not lock any of the doors. The interior door switch both on drivers side and passenger side works to unlock and lock all doors. What could be the issue?

Date: June 25, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Chris, sounds like the keyless remote (FOB) is at fault – probably a open ciruit in the printed board. The fact that the locks work with the door lock switches in the car, indicate that there’s no problem with the actuators or wiring.

You may want to take the cover off and make sure there’s no corrosion or moisture visible inside before just replacing the FOB.

37. Rick :

Date: June 27, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

98 Accord Coupe ex, My alarms acting up but I believe it’s due to the door locks, by unlocking itself on it’s own. When driving, if I locks the door, at times the locks will unlock itself on it’s own? and Yes, when unlocking, does make some clicking? any ideas?

38. Travis :

Date: July 8, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

2001 Mitsubishi Galant. Replaced radio and ever since my door locks haven’t been working at all. I have to turn them by hand or with the key. Doesn’t bother me that much, but I would like to get this problem solved soon because I carpool all the time and I have a roadtrip coming up soon. Any ideas are more than welcome.

Date: July 22, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

i have a 1990 chevy cavalier and the locks work, sometimes. most of the time they will lock on the first button press (but not always), and it always takes sevral presses to unlock them (10+) if at all.

40. sandy :

Date: July 23, 2010 @ 10:05 am

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion. My door locks quit working one-at-a-time with about 5 or 6 months between each, like a cycle. Driver door first, followed by passenger door 5 to 6 months later, followed by back passenger side 5 to 6 months later, then back driver side. strangely, they all went through the same process: first, the control on the door stopped working, but the remote and auto lock when the vehicle got up to speed would work fine. second, the remote didn’t work, but it would still work on auto when up to speed. finally, it quit working altogether. I can still hear them all trying to lock (you can even feel it trying to pull the lock knob down), but its like it doesn’t have enough power to pull it.

Date: July 23, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Sorry I don’t have time to answer all the questions. If you visit the question page linked at the top, mechanics are standing by to help.

Sandy, sounds like the actuators are bad. They are a very common failure on Excursions.

42. Troy Chance :

Date: July 23, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

I have an interesting problem maybe someone could help me out with. I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4-door. My driver’s side (front and rear) door locks will not operate with the door panel switch or the alarm remote. On the other hand, both my passenger door locks work fine. I do not hear any noise coming from both driver’s side doors when activating the switch. Can you direct me in the right direction to start problem shooting this? Thanks

43. ricky duarte :

Date: July 29, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

i have a 2002 mercury moutaineer and all of a sudden the power door locks stop working and my keyless remote will not lock or unlock the doors anymore. i dont know what happen.

Date: July 30, 2010 @ 9:13 am

Start by checking fuses. If that’s not the problem, check service manual for wiring diagram and diagnosis help. See our on-line repair manual page linked at the top of the page.

45. santonio :

Date: August 1, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

On my 2001 ford expedition,my power locks stopped working. If I press the button only the drivers door unlocks.if I try to unlock all the doors with the remote only the drives do unlock also.what should I do?

46. Julian :

Date: August 2, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

I have a 2005 Chevy Uplander my power locks aren’t working on all of my doors. when i try to use the remote it wil not work and when i put it into gear it should lock but it doesn’t. when i try to lock it with the switch on the door, it makes a clicking sound on both driver and passenger door HELP!!!!!!!

Date: August 2, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Julian, you may want to visit our car questions page listed at the top of the page. A technician will most likely be able to help you come up with a solution.

48. Nancey :

Date: August 6, 2010 @ 8:24 am

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer. The lock buttons inside the drivers and front passsenger doors will lock the doors just fine, but they won’t unlock the doors. Also the remote won’t unlock any of the doors except the front passenger. They bump up a little and make the noise like they’re trying to unlock, but they don’t pop all the way up. This is happening with more and more frequency. Additionally, trying the key in the lock will also not unlock the door(s).
    Also, the electric control to move the front passenger seat up or back isn’t working though it will hum, and the speedometer light is very dim on about half of the guage. Could these be any relation to the lock problem? They all seemed to start going around the same time.
    Any ideas what could be the causes of these problems? (esp the locks!)

49. Brad :

Date: August 26, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

Hi, 1999 Audi a4

There is only 1 switch and 2 keyholes although there are four doors.

My Powerlocks are no longer working.
    The fob is not unlocking the car nor is the switch. When I unlock the trunk i can hear a little motor trying to unlock thee other doors….. Any advise

50. Savnish :

Date: September 1, 2010 @ 2:34 am

Can you please help me with this. I have 2004 Honda accord coupe 6 cylinder. Driver side door power lock some times does not work with keyless entry or with the switch on door. but i can open the door with keys.It still operates by hand and by the key? Whats Wrong?

Date: September 1, 2010 @ 6:16 am

Savnish, Sounds like the driver’s side door lock actuator is starting to go bad.

52. Todd :

Date: September 2, 2010 @ 9:48 am

I have a problem with a 99 Explorer that the dealer has not been able to figure out. The auto head lamps function does not work. All of the doors will unlock from any switch, to include keyless entry. However, the only lock switch that will lock the doors is the one located in the carge area. The keyless entry module has been replaced. Any ideas? Both problem started about the same time.

Date: September 2, 2010 @ 10:19 am

Sounds like it could be a wiring issue or a poor ground. Explorers do have a common issue with wires breaking in the rubber boot that goes to the doors (like the picture shows in the article). The dealer should be able to look at the wiring diagrams to help pinpoint the problems and to see if the locks and the headlights are related issues. Electrical problems can be very time consuming to diagnose and requires someone that has a good understanding of electrical circuits. The Ford dealer surely has someone that fits these requirements. Good Luck

54. Matt :

Date: September 8, 2010 @ 12:47 am

I have a 2002 Impala and the door locks cycle off and on while I am driving down the road. A mechanic told me it was a lot to troubleshoot and that if it was the computer it wouldn’t be worth fixing. Any suggestions on how to start troubleshooting myself? For the meantime I have the auto feature disable but it is a pain to have manually lock and unlock each door. Thanks

Date: September 8, 2010 @ 8:52 am

Matt, sounds like it could be related to the BCM (Body Control Module). Common body control codes that may be set with the condition you have described could be – B2602, B2618, B2655, B2948, B2957, B2958, B3128 & B3133.

56. ashlee :

Date: October 11, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

i have a 2000 mitsubishi galant and the radio keeps restarting and the power locks dont work. how can i fix this problem?

57. Caurubol :

Date: October 12, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited, the power locks unlock all doors but wont lock any. the driver’s switch wont lock, neither will the passenger switch or keyless remote, the only switch that locks and unlock all the doors is the located in the rear of the car. Why is this happening? How can I fix it?

Date: October 27, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

I have a 2000 f-150, the power locks on both doors will not open or lock with any of the switches and also won’t open with keyless entry. When I press the switches the lock opens less than half way and if I keep pressing eventually I won’t get no response only a clicking sound from where the relay is located. If wait 10 seconds then press the switch again the same thing happens. It seem that there is not enough power reaching the locks. Any idea would be great.

Date: October 27, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

Mike, sounds like bad actuators. They are a very common failure on Fords. Although, you could verify voltage at the actuator wiring harness to be sure. Power probe testers are great for checking the voltage and also powering them up, even off the vehicle to see if they are working properly. Unless you plan on doing a lot of this type work, buying a Power Probe may not be worth the purchase price. A Power Probe is a must have for most professional auto tehnicians.

The door lock actuators are not designed to be used repeatedly in close succession. If you try pressing the button over and over again, even with brand new actuator it will stop working too for a few seconds. It’s overload protection.

Date: October 31, 2010 @ 7:34 am

My son owns a 99 Mitsubitshi Mirage and none of the door locks work/neither lock or unlock from either front door. I traced the fuses and they seemed good. I thought the drivers switch was bad but it shouldn’t affect the rest should it? I mean the passenger side doesn even work. The windows all work fine just no locks. What do you think in your opinion it might be? Wiring? If the drivers switch is bad does it affect the rest, like passengers door switch? Thanks so much for your time. Chris

Date: October 31, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Chris, It’s possible that a bad master power window switch could affect ALL the other switches operation. Studying a wiring diagram would be the next step, unless you ask a Mitsubishi dealer tech for guidance. I would find our which color coded wire is suppose to provide power to the window switch and verify that it is getting supplied.

Links Below
    You may want to access a service manual on-line.

Or, Ask a Mitsubishi Dealer Tech.

62. Princess :

Date: November 2, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

Hi, I have an 01 Impala, I recently stopped using my keyless entry remote because it broke. After I realized my power door locks werent working, I had someone check the fuse and they said its not that because the unlock works but not the lock. He reccomended that I get a new keyless entry receiver box. When I went to the dealership to get the price on one they suggested that it might be a problem with the switch… Could you please help me with this. thanks

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Princess, sounds like it could be the switch. That’s a much more common problem than a reciever. I however, cannot second guess a technician that has ran tests and checked circuits on the car. My purpose is to provide some insight and point out common issues and help direct readers in the right direction when possible; NOT to diagnose individual problems though the Internet. Good Luck.

64. akin :

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

I have a town & country 05, normally whenever I start the car and move like 5sec the child lock will lock,but recently whenever I start my van and move I realize it doesn’t lock anymore,and also the remote will not lock all the door, the driver side lock will not lock all the lock like before. I can manually lock all the door but thats frustrating.

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

Akin, usually the doors on your model are suppose to lock after the vehicle starts moving. If there’s only the one door lock (driver’s) that is not working it could be a faulty door lock actuator. If ALL locks are acting up randomly there could be another issue – see below.

The BCM (Body Control Module) is a common cause of erratic problems with power door locks on the Chrysler Town and Country also Dodge Caravans. A tech can use a scan tool to see the data for the lock and unlock command. This will help verify the switch is working as it should, by seeing the data while working the switch. Sometimes if it appears the switches are working at least on the data screen, the battery cables can BOTH be removed (careful not to ground the positive post on the battery) and touch them both together to reset the BCM. Most times the door locks work for awhile after doing this. If this makes them work temporarily, the problem is a software issue, the vehicle will most likely need an update at the Chrysler dealership. Tech service bulletin TSB #08-040-04 covers this in more detail.

66. Princess :

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Thanks. But I didnt get it checked out by a technician. I just went to the dealership and told them the same thing about the receiver and they suggested that it probably was the switch as well but was not sure. So I was just trying to make sure that this problem could be because of the switch before I started replacing things and spending money.

Date: November 4, 2010 @ 6:47 am

Princess, Oh OK. I would do some actual testing prior to spending money. Opinions are good, but they are not a substitute for physically checking circuits and diagnosing problems properly.

Date: December 8, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

My friend drives a 2007 Pontiac G5 Coupe, both of her power locks stopped working a few months ago at the same time. The weird thing is that the key fob will lock and unlock the doors but you are not able to lock or unlock the doors from the door panel button. I checked the fuse and it wasn’t blown. What do you think might be the problem?

Date: December 8, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Mike, a wiring diagram may be necessary to go further and do some pin point tests. You may want to get a wiring diagram from the on-line auto repair manual page or ask a dealer tech on the question page if you would like more guidance. Good Luck.

70. Don :

Date: December 9, 2010 @ 8:46 am

I have a 2001 Corolla that first the passenger side door would not lock/unlock with the key (no remote) and now the driver’s side is the same. Inside all the lock/unlock functions work from the panels on on the arm rest.

Date: December 9, 2010 @ 9:15 am

Don, sounds like maybe a mechanical issue with the latches or linkage.

72. Maggie :

Date: December 14, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

My 06 grand caravan has power sliding doors and the back passenger door (the sliding door) will lock with the remote and switches but will not unlock with anything short of manually doing it. Its like it does not have enough oomph to do it. Any suggestions?

Date: December 14, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

Maggie, sounds like a bad door lock actuator. A very common problem with Dodge Caravans and Chrysler Town & Country vans.

74. Santo :

Date: December 23, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

1993 ford aerostar. My power door locks stopped working. The unlock button works but the lock button doesn’t. My manual hasn’t been much help either cause it says that the fuses are located above fuse block – left cowl side but i cant find it any ideas

75. pedro :

Date: January 3, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

1996 Dodge Avenger. All my power locks stopped working even with my alarm remote. I have to manually lock and unlock both passenger and driver doors. All i hear is a buzzing sound coming from behind the radio only when i try to lock with the driver side switch, so i pulled the radio out and replaced the relay that was buzzing, but still does the same. i also checked the fuses under the dash and all are fine. Any guess what might be causing this or what else i could check.

Date: January 3, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

Might want to look at some wiring diagrams and start testing.

77. tw :

Date: September 24, 2014 @ 1:47 am

200 f250 crew cab. None of my switches lock or unlock any door. I can hear the actuator in each door trying to lock or unlock and I see movement. Can this be the drivers switch or a central relay of some sort? It can’t possibly be all the actuators because sometimes 1 or 2 of the doors will unlock…but they Caray on which.

78. tw :

Date: September 24, 2014 @ 1:48 am

2000 F250 crew cab. None of my switches lock or unlock any door. I can hear the actuator in each door trying to lock or unlock and I see movement. Can this be the drivers switch or a central relay of some sort? It can’t possibly be all the actuators because sometimes 1 or 2 of the doors will unlock… but they vary on which.

Date: September 24, 2014 @ 7:21 am

TW, yes it is very likely that ALL the actuators are bad. The fact that you hear each of them making a sound when you try to lock or unlock the doors proves that the the switches an the relays are completing the circuit. It’s a very common problem on Fords around the year you have. They usually fail at different times although it can be close to the same time because of them being the same age. If you would prefer, just change one first. Once you see that it works properly then replace the other three. Good Luck.

80. Kenneth :

Date: October 16, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang convertible. The driver side door lock does not respond to the keyless entry or the switch. It does respond to manual locking and unlocking with the key or pulling the handle. The driver side switch also works the passenger side lock. I have already replaced the driver side door lock actuator. Another note on my issue. I can hear the lock functioning on the passenger side when I click lock and unlock… not so on the driver side. What does this mean? Please help.

Date: October 17, 2014 @ 8:03 am

Kenneth, I would suspect a broken wire causing an open circuit for the driver’s side door lock actuator. The wires that go from the body to the door through the rubber boot can sometimes break inside the insulation. I’d find a wiring diagram for that circuit to learn what color coded wire to look for and look beneath the rubber boot. A little testing may reveal a broken wire.

82. Brett :

Date: October 28, 2014 @ 12:38 am

2005 Toyota highlander. Just replaced the driver door lock actuator because the key fob and switch would not lock or unlock the door. Now with the new actuator, the door locks work correctly, however, the driver window randomly goes down on it’s own. Any suggestions?

Date: October 28, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Brett there’s a calibration required. The problem of the window not stopping in the closed position and coming open again about a third of the way has to do with the auto close feature being out of calibration. It’s called bumping open. This system or safety feature is called anti-pinch. Which helps prevent someone like a child or careless adult from getting their hand or fingers caught in the window when it’s closing and getting injured. The calibrration can be lost if the window has been rolled down and the motor or switch disconnected. When this occurs the motor doesn’t know where the closed position is anymore. One way is to remove the motor from the regulator and hold the up position on the switch for ten seconds and then re-install. This is a lot of labor just to reset the window, but is sometimes necessary. Another thing to try without removal of the motor is the following; Turn the key to the on position. Press the window switch button to lower the window and continue to hold the window switch in the down position for at least 15 seconds after the window is completely down. Do this without using the automatic feature. Then, move the window switch to the up position. Continue to hold the button up for at least 15 seconds after the window is fully in the up position. Rememeber to not use the auto feature while doing this reset procedure. After following this reset procedure, test the auto feature and it should work. If it doesn’t try the steps again. Good Luck.

84. academic one :

Date: November 3, 2014 @ 9:48 am

1997 Ford explorer, drivers side power lock worked sporadically. Would need to lock and unlock to get it to work so I could get in. Now doors will not auto lock as I pull away (did before). Is it actuator? TIA

Date: November 3, 2014 @ 11:14 am

The first issue could be the actuator. Would have to test to determine for sure. The auto lock for all doors would need separate troubleshooting. If you have a door ajar light on that could cause the auto lock feature not to work. Good Luck.

86. ahsan ahmed :

Date: November 6, 2014 @ 2:30 am

During front shocker repair on my 1999 Galant. I forgot car the key inside car with the switch on for long time, after that my center lock is not working.
    The car’s clock is not working and the inside light also not working. Can you please tell us what’s going wrong with my car?

Date: November 6, 2014 @ 7:15 am

Ashan, I have heard door lock actuators that sound sort of like a “shocker”. I would check all fuses. Sometimes there’s more than one location for fuse panels, like inside the car and one located under the hood. Check the owners manual if you can’t find the locations of the fuse panels easily. Good Luck.

88. London :

Date: November 25, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

Hello, I hope you can help me. 2012 Chrysler Town and Country. All my power door locks quit working, except back gate. the fob sends a signal, the light flash and the horn honks but doors will not lock or unlock. The two front door lock/unlock buttons wont make a sound. I checked the fuse, it was blown. I replaced fuse but it sparks and blows fuse, so I disconnected battery and tried again and it just blows fuse. I disconnected all the door connections one at a time to see if there was a short in one of them and even with all connections disconnected it still blows the fuse. That is the limit of my troubleshooting capabilities. Any ideas? I would really like to figure this out on my own..Dealers scare me especially with electrical. Thanks.

Date: November 25, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

You must be out of warranty by miles, you didn’t say… Could be shorted between the door and body. Electrical shorts can be difficult to trace and an inexperienced person may cause more damage. An experienced tech would use a wiring diagram and test equipment. There are specialty fault and short finders, however most techs would use a multimeter checking ohms with power off. This may be one for an electrical shop. Good Luck.

90. plonker :

Date: December 11, 2014 @ 3:03 pm

Hi. i have a 1999 Ford Explorer North Face (svt) central locking went bonkers after stopping and turning ignition off and opening the door. Every door lock was trying to unlock and lock it self over and over again. The fob would’nt stop this cycle. Auto lock when moving off now doesn’t work. It was working ok 1 minute gone the next. You can hear it trying unlock it self. I have not got a clue what it could be. Any ideas welcome. Thanks Steve

Date: December 11, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

Could be many things. 1. I can imagine a door lock switch stuck in the lock position combined with a sensor in the ignition switch (lock part) being faulty. As a preventative measure on some vehicles, to keep someone from locking their keys in the car (or truck), the doors will not lock if the key is in the igition switch. The locks will just unlock. 2. Low voltage can cause funny things to occur. I’d test the battery with a load tester even if it seems to be starting the engine OK. 3. Could be a BUS communications error between the computers.

If none of the above helps, it may be time to take to a mechanic that can access the body control data with a scan tool. They may see something on the data screen that can help explain what’s going on. Good Luck.

92. plonker :

Date: December 12, 2014 @ 7:28 am

Thanks for the reply. you mentioned the battery. Having said that, it seems not to hold it’s charge for more than 2/3 days. I got used to it as I use the truck every day. It has been checked by a AA mechanic ok. But you never know Thanks, plonker (uk).

Date: December 12, 2014 @ 7:33 am

Not holding a charge, could mean a small parasytic draw or just a marginal battery.

94. plonker :

Date: December 15, 2014 @ 5:33 am

Hi again. Just an update on the fault with central lock repeating. Had battery terminal off and regrease battery stud, just in case loose connection. Doing that, it resets (powering off) itself. Only off for 30 seconds and then it’s gone back to how it was. Auto lock now works again (motion). Do you think it’s electronic fault as I do, or something manualy knackered. Thanks again Steve (plonker)

Date: December 15, 2014 @ 7:14 am

I’d still check the several things that I mentioned before. If none of that helps to pinpoint the problem, it may be time to take to a mechanic that can access the body control data with a scan tool. They may see something with the scan tool that can help explain what’s wrong. Good Luck.

96. DanRob :

Date: December 15, 2014 @ 9:52 pm

Hi Dennis, I am trying to help a friend fix his car, it is a 1990 Ford Bronco, and the driver side door lock mechanism will not move, so he can not lock that door. Can an actuator prevent movement of the lock, or should I look toward the latch mechanism? I have had the door panel off, and felt around, and looked as well as I could see, and it all seems intact and nothing seems askew. Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide.

Date: December 16, 2014 @ 6:28 am

I’ve never seen an actuator sieze completely, however it’s certainly possible especially considering the age of the vehicle (25 years old). I’d remove the actuator and see for sure. Good Luck.

98. Dennis L. :

Date: January 2, 2015 @ 7:03 pm

I just bought a 2002 Ford Mustang and the power locks don’t work. when you push the button to lock and unlock there is a noise and some movement on both locks but not enough to lock. Do you think its just the actuator that need replaced or is there something else to check?

Date: January 3, 2015 @ 12:16 pm

The fact that they move some means the swith is working and power is being sent. So that means most likely the actuators are bad. Good Luck.

100. Keds :

Date: January 19, 2015 @ 9:04 pm

I have a 2011 Honda Civic LS-X i was testing the panic feature on the keys after which i noticed that I am unable to use the remote to lock the doors but it works to open all doors. Can you say why it wont lock the doors but work the other way?

Date: January 20, 2015 @ 7:27 am

By design, if any of doors are not closed all the way the doors won’t lock. Sometimes a door sensor (door ajar) can malfunction making it seem like a door is open. Another possibilty is that the circuit in the remote that handles the “lock” command is faulty. Good Luck.

102. lee :

Date: January 27, 2015 @ 10:31 pm

I have a nissan 2005 maxima. When I try to unlock the doors with my keyless remote, the doors will unlock and then lock back. I have changed the battery because it started off as the keyless remote would not lock the doors. Should I order a replacement or could it be a fuse problem?

Date: January 28, 2015 @ 6:14 am

Definitely not a fuse because the locks are getting power. Could be the lock portion of the remote faulty. Good Luck.

104. Leon :

Date: February 7, 2015 @ 10:00 pm

Hello. I have a 2006 Jeep Commander with all the bells and whistles. For about a week and a half now I have had problems with my door locks. I read here about various possible causes and fixes but I can’t seem to find my issue fix. With mine it started out unlocking all doors but the driver door by the remote but it would not lock the doors. When trying the in door switches I found that they would unlock all doors but the driver door but not lock any of the doors. When I checked the shop manual for issues with the door locks it lists a ton of body module codes that narrow down the problem but I can not find a code reader that will read and display body module codes. It has now gotten to the point that sometimes the remote only cancels the alarm and does not unlock ANY doors including the lift gate which can be problematic since the only door with a key lock is the driver’s door. Does Anyone put out a diagnostic reader for DIY mechanics that can read body module trouble codes? This would help tremendously! Thank you.

Date: February 8, 2015 @ 9:26 am

Leon, I’m only aware of more expensive scan tools that can read body control faults/codes. To be honest body control issues on Chrysler and Jeep vehicles are not really something that I’d consider to be a DIY project anyway. Sometimes there’s TSB’s or updates to software or even hardware to fix these issues. Sometimes it’s a BUS communication problem between several modules which can be very hard to diagnose. I’m a master tech and in most cases when I worked at Carmax, I’d read the codes or see a BUS communication error with my Genisys scan tool, but would send these vehicles to the dealer for further diagnosis and repair. Sometimes those vehicles would be very hard even for the dealer techs to diagnose even though they had factory scan tools, manufacturer data and only worked on one type of vehicle. I’d be interested in what you end up finding out if you’d care to post once your issues are resolved. Good Luck.

106. dave :

Date: February 17, 2015 @ 11:28 pm

I replaced the battery on my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and I’m having an issue getting my doors too unlock. I can use the remote but when I go too do it by the switch on the door, they won’t unlock at all. I have too do it manually to get the passagener door opened.

Date: February 18, 2015 @ 7:27 am

Dave, if there could be several problems. If the doors won’t unlock with the driver’s side switch the switch could be bad. If the doors won’t unlock with either of door switches, the circuit could have a problem. If the passenger door doesn’t unlock when ALL others do, the door lock actuator could be faulty or there could be a break in the circuit. Good Luck.

108. karen :

Date: February 18, 2015 @ 9:56 am

I have a 2008 Pontiac G6 and my driver and passenger locks work with the door switch and keyless remote. Back doors do not. any ideas?

Date: February 18, 2015 @ 12:35 pm

Child safety locks could be on, rear door lock actuators could have failed or there could a problem with wiring to the rear doors. Good Luck.

110. James J :

Date: February 19, 2015 @ 9:47 am

I have an 03 Chrysler Town and Country. My drivers side door lock makes a weird noise when unlocking it. *it still works correctly but the noise makes me think that something is eventually going to stop working and I would rather nip it in the butt now rather than later. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Date: February 19, 2015 @ 11:06 am

Ah the old BUZZER – Eerrnntt! sounding door lock actuator. I’ve changed more than my fair share of these when I worked at Carmax… Takes less than an hour to change. More than a little awkward if the seat is in the way. I always removed the seat to allow better access. Good Luck.

112. Texan :

Date: February 28, 2015 @ 1:53 pm

I have a 2012 Scion Xb. The other day as I was unlocking the passenger door with the driver’s side switch, my husband was pulling on the passenger door handle to get into the car before it was unlocked. The power lock won’t work on the passenger door now and has to manually locked and unlocked. Is the acuator broken? Thanks

Date: February 28, 2015 @ 7:42 pm

Most likely a bad actuator. And I have to take up for your husband… He didn’t cause this by pulling on the handle – couldn’t have caused it to break. We guys have to stick together. Good Luck.

Date: March 1, 2015 @ 12:23 am

I have a 2005 excursion and all of the doors no longer lock or unlock using the remote or the door switch. Including the rear door. When I try the door switch I here a sound coming from the fuse box area. I even replaced the driver side door lock actuator and that didn’t fix the problem. I have the actuators for all other doors but don’t want to waste my time if it’s something bigger. This seems to be a problem with a lot of excursions at around 110,000 miles. Any guesses?

Date: March 1, 2015 @ 9:35 am

Chris the most common cause is bad actuators. The sound you’re hearing is the relay which is normnal, you just normally hear that sound over the door locks when they are working properly. I would get a wiring diagram and start tracing a possible open circuit (wire). Sometimes a wire can break within the boot from the body to the door. This can occur over time because of the repitition of opening and closing the doors, bending of the wires back and forth. Ever break a wire hanger by bending it back and forth? Sort of the same thing. There could also be other issues but this is what I would check first. Good Luck.

116. #D :

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 5:31 am

Hi. I have a 2013 Hyundai Tucson and have a problem with the cargo door. It has stayed locked for a little while now and only the key fob can unlock it. When the car is on or when the key is in and I open the driver’s side door, the actuators of all doors will lock/unlock 3x (probably trying to unlock the trunk). I have taken it to the dealership as it is under warranty. They told me that there’s a failure with the door lock assembly. Today, they replaced the door lock assembly but I got the news that the problem persists. They told me the issue may be some electrical grounding and are having a hard time finding the problem. I would just like to know your professional insight on this issue and how this can be fixed.
    Thank you very much for any response.

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 7:17 am

Electrical issues can be difficult to trace. Especially if the problem is intermittent. It will require some testing while the problem is present. Otherwise all anyone can do is take an educated guess, which in this case didn’t fix the problem. There could also be a control module issue. I’m sure the dealer will figure this out. Good Luck.

118. #D :

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 9:05 am

Thanks for a very quick reply. The problem is persistent for 2 months now, although it started intermittently. I feel like they did not diagnose the problem correctly in the 1st place. Also my dealer actually said locating the problem is like ‘finding a needle in a haystack’.

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 9:13 am

Sometimes electrical issues can be very difficult to trace. The good thing is – since it’s under warranty you will not be charged for any mis-diagnosis. I understand it’s still an inconvenience, being without your vehicle. I’d be curious to learn what they find.

120. #D :

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 9:18 am

i’ll leave it with them until friday, but I badly need my car ’cause we’re expecting. I wonder if, since the actuators engage everytime I open the driver’s door, would cause faster wear and tear? this is my main concern, I have been using the car for almost 4 months now with the problem

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 10:06 am

The actuators cycle thousands of times during their lifespan. So I don’t think that having them work a little extra for a few months is going to make much difference.

122. #D :

Date: March 3, 2015 @ 10:20 am

Thanks for your insight and for this reassurance. I hope they get to the culprit and have a fix asap. will keep you posted.

123. jb :

Date: March 4, 2015 @ 12:14 am

Hi…I have a 2001 Ford Expedition that has a driver’s side rear door that won’t open with the power door lock switch. The other 3 doors will open. I just replaced the actuator and it still won’t unlock with the switch. Your previous answers and advice say it’s door specific but I’m not sure where to start. Wiring? Thanks!

124. Briitanyray :

Date: March 5, 2015 @ 9:04 am

I have a 1997 honda accord and the drivers side door won’t open from the inside or out. I can hear it unlock then lock right back into place. What could be causing this?

Date: March 5, 2015 @ 9:58 am

Possibly a binding (worn) door latch. The inside panel may need to be removed to see what’s going on. This is not an esy task with the door closed. Good Luck.

126. Ted :

Date: March 6, 2015 @ 7:06 pm

Hello. I read through your article and isolated the problem to just be the driver’s door. The power windows don’t work at all (no sound), the lock switches doesn’t do anything, and the light on the door doesn’t come on. The lock, however, is the only thing that works on the drivers door when I use the remote. Help, please! I’ve looked everywhere and tried the main relay reset, that didn’t work.

Date: March 7, 2015 @ 5:25 pm

Ted, not sure what type of car you have, but someone with the ability to read a wiring diagram and knowledge of how to do some electrical testing will probably need to have a look. Could be a break in a circuit somewhere. Good Luck.

128. Joana :

Date: March 7, 2015 @ 8:28 pm

Hi. My 2009 Hyundai Elantra, it would not lock all the doors via remote or inside the door. I have to use my key.

Date: March 8, 2015 @ 10:01 am

Joana, I would look at a wiring diagram to see if possibly a relay could be the problem. It has to be something that could affect both the remote and the door lock switch. A shared component or wiring etc. so a wiring diagram and some electrical testing will probably be needed. Good Luck.

130. Ann :

Date: March 18, 2015 @ 10:17 am

My 2005 Mitsubishi Galant windows/ doors are locked. Using the driver’s side switches, the doors will not lock, the windows will not roll up/ down. The windows/door locks will not work using the individual doors either. No noise. Nothing. However, starting the car the doors lock/unlock during the startup process and the key works fine. My research is telling me to get the wiring schematics for possibly electrical problems and/or Relay. What do you suggest.
    Your help is Greatly Appreciated.

Date: March 18, 2015 @ 11:57 am

To simplify what you said; The power door locks and windows do not operate with any of the switches in the car. Only locks and unlocks with start up process. Yes, I would look at a wiring digram. The first thing I would do is check ALL fueses. Good Luck.

132. Kyle :

Date: March 19, 2015 @ 11:02 am

Just purchased 2009 T&C Touring. Doors, locks, switches work great. When I pull handle from outside on driver side it open automatically, do it again it closes. The passenger side will not open automatically when I pull exterior handle. It works perfect with remote and dash switch. Any ideas on what problem maybe. Any help greatly appreciated!

Date: March 19, 2015 @ 11:57 am

Kyle, yes there’s a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this problem of the automatic door not opening properly when you pull on the handle. See below.

Power Sliding Door Will Not Power Open
    This involves removing the sliding door trim panel and modifying the foam isolator around
    the handle link on the right and/or left side.
    2009 – 2010 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan
    NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before February 12, 2010 (MDH0212XX).
    The customer may experience that the power sliding door on the right and/or left side not
    opening when using the interior or exterior handles or interior B-pillar button from full
    closed position but works with remote keyless entry and the front row overhead console
    NOTE: The sliding door will power close and properly function in all manual
    This procedure only address vehicles that do not power open using the interior and
    exterior handles or interior B-pillar button from full closed position. This does not address
    any closing issues.
    1. Remove the door trim panel right and/or left side. Refer to the detailed procedures
    available in DealerCONNECT >TechCONNECT >: Service Info> 23-Body> Doors –
    Sliding> PANEL, Door Trim> Removal.
    NUMBER: 23-005-10
    GROUP: Body
    DATE: March 02, 2010
    2. Cut and remove 25.4 mm (1 in) of foam from the upper portion of the foam isolator
    around the handle link as indicated in (Fig. 1).
    1 – Handle Link
    2 – Foam Isolator
    3 – Door Module
    4 – Cut Line
    5 – Cable Housing
    3. Install the sliding door trim panel right and/or left side. Refer to the detailed procedures
    available in DealerCONNECT >TechCONNECT >: Service Info> 23-Body> Doors –
    Sliding> PANEL, Door Trim> Installation.
    4. Verify the power locking and unlocking mechanisms work correctly. Then verify the
    door power opens utilizing the door handles and b-pillar switch. Perform this lock,
    unlock, power open test cycle 5 times.
    5. Return the vehicle to the customer.

134. James :

Date: April 1, 2015 @ 8:44 am

Hi. I have an 01 Mustang GT. Neither one of the power door lock buttons move the actual lock, but there’s a clicking sound underneath the dash when I press the button on the door (Same thing applies to FOBs). I replaced the actuators on both sides, and the problem still persists. I’ve also replaced the fuse – still no dice. I’m not sure where to go next and hope you have a solution! Thanks.

Date: April 1, 2015 @ 10:27 am

James, the relay could be clicking but may be bad. If this is not the problem, someone with knowledge and access to a wiring diagram may need to deleve a little deeper. Good Luck.

136. TATO :

Date: April 10, 2015 @ 12:43 am

Hello. I have a 05 Honda CR-V. I bought it couple of months ago with following problems:
    1. Remote doesn`t open or lock front doors at all (I changed battery).
    2. Remote locks only rear doors (sometimes not) and always locks hatch. (manual and electrical lock knobs do same)
    3. Key manually doesn’t open from drivers side, but works on passenger’s and hatch.
    So, I always manually open passenger’s door and unlock driver’s side. After driving I lock all doors manually from inside as well.
    You already helped so many people and please give me some ideas how to pacify my recalcitrant Honda. Thanks in advance!

Date: April 10, 2015 @ 7:35 am

Hello Tato. Since the remote DOES work on some doors sometimes and the rear hatch all of the time, you know the car is getting the signal from the remote. Since, with the electric lock switches inside the car you have the same issue, I would check the door lock actuators (to see if they are getting ground and voltage when they don’t work). Since the driver’s door cannot be unlocked with the key, I would inspect the lock (the part that the key goes into) and the lock rod that goes from the lock to the latch. If the key does not turn the lock; it’s possible someone changed the door and did not transfer or rekey the lock. If the key does turn the lock, maybe the rod is just disconnected. Once the door panel is off you’ll be able to see if the linkage is disconnected. Good Luck.

138. rachelrae :

Date: April 13, 2015 @ 9:31 pm

Hi there. I have a 1994 explorer limited. All my power locks (4) stopped working. The passenger front right was intermittent for 2 years but all others worked. Now all 4 stopped all together. Remote doesnt work as well as manually from inside of suv. Any thoughts on this. I need an inexpensive fix. Any reason all 4 stop all together. I have checked the fuse under the hood as well as fuse under the dash. All appear to be good. Solenoid? Actuator? I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you!

Date: April 14, 2015 @ 1:21 pm

I would look at a wiring diagram to see what they all have in common, like a master switch, a relay, driver’s door ajar switch etc. Good Luck.

140. cassenma :

Date: April 21, 2015 @ 3:45 pm

I have a 2008 T&C with a non-working power door lock on the passenger sliding door. This is the only lock that doesn’t work (I already replaced the driver’s door actuator). It doesn’t work with any of the switches or remote switch. Points to another actuator. So, I replaced the actuator. New one also does not work. Could this be a BCM issue? I checked the wiring pretty good and all ohm’d out ok. What are the voltages suppose to be for the four pins on the actuator during a lock, unlock, etc. events?

Date: April 21, 2015 @ 4:24 pm

I would think that it’s more likely that you have a defective actuator. On some of those doors there are contacts that can get dirty also, not sure if your model is like this. I would also check the data with a scan tool that can access the body control info. A scan tool like the Genisys would be capable. Refer to a manual for what readings are supposed to be.

142. cassenma :

Date: April 21, 2015 @ 4:33 pm

Ok. Will have to check with a scan tool. I already replaced the actuator and thought that I received a bad one. So, I purchased another one. The second new one also did not work. So, I feel confident that it is not the actuator.

143. scott :

Date: April 22, 2015 @ 8:31 pm

Hi dennis i have a 06 seabring the driver door would not open or lock with the remote but the other three doors work fine i replaced the actuator the same problem it dose not work. confused now

Date: April 23, 2015 @ 6:38 am

Could be broken wiring going to the door. Good Luck.

145. gussy gus :

Date: April 28, 2015 @ 4:11 pm

I have a 2002 ford explorer. Sometimes the door locks don’t work and even though the ignition is off and key is out the radio still stays on and the doors don’t lock and even the power windows still work also..

Date: April 28, 2015 @ 4:16 pm

Sounds like the ignition switch may still be in accessory. I’d take a look in that area. Good Luck.

147. Ali :

Date: April 30, 2015 @ 2:23 pm

The doors of my 2000 Chrysler Town and Country keep locking and unlocking continuously when I drive and I am stationary. My mechanic told me that the computer indicated that the relay is dirty and that could be the problem. If so, how can I clean the relays, or can I fix the problem?

Date: April 30, 2015 @ 2:55 pm

If it really is a dirty relay, it’s best to replace it. Good Luck.

149. Steve :

Date: April 30, 2015 @ 11:31 pm

1994 Chevy G20 tilt column. Wipers have started working intermittently (un-intentionally!). Also, electric door lock switches (both doors) only work to unlock, neither door lock switch (either door) will lock. Key will lock/unlock all doors? Possible cause(s)? Thanks!

Date: May 1, 2015 @ 7:54 am

The wiper control module which is the electrical box mounted on the wiper motor was always a common cause of wiper issues like that. I would check the door lock switches and wiring through the doors to the body in case they are damaged from years of opening and closing. If that doesn’t help pinpoint the problem, a wiring diagram may be helpful to see what’s in common that could be the cause. Good Luck.

151. ab :

Date: May 18, 2015 @ 10:07 am

Have a 2003 Town car the door locks cycle going down the road as well the door ajar and dome lights come on at times whats up can you help me?

Date: May 18, 2015 @ 10:30 am

I would check with a scan tool and access the body control module to see which door ajar switch is malfunctioning. Most likely driver’s door since it gets the most use and wear. Good Luck.

153. ian :

Date: May 23, 2015 @ 11:08 am

I have a 2001 civic and the door won’t close all the way.it clicks once and wont come open but it wont shut tight dosent have the second click like the other doors

154. howard :

Date: May 24, 2015 @ 11:17 pm

2005 civic sedan 4 doors, all the door unlock work, but lock just stopped working, tried with 2 remote controls, behave the same, in both cases, the signal always has been sent from remote control as I saw the red light
    indicate is on when I push either lock or unlock, questions are:
    1. where is the remote door sensor located ?
    2. how many door lock switches ?
    1, 2 or 4 ?
    3. what could likely be the problem ?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Date: May 26, 2015 @ 10:26 am

Howard, refer to a service manual for the receiver location for the remote. Usually there’s two door lock switches – one on each front door. If the door lock switches on the doors don’t I wouldn’t think it would be a remote issue. If the door ajar/open light is on there could be a bad door ajar switch. That would explain why the system will not lock – it’s a safety feature to help prevent locking yourself out of the car. If that’s not is, perhaps a switch or wiring issue. Good luck.

Date: May 26, 2015 @ 10:27 am

Maybe a worn door latch? Good Luck.

157. Larry :

Date: June 4, 2015 @ 10:34 pm

I have a 2003 Cadillac Escalade both rear passenger side doors, deck lid and window won’t lock. Both passengers doors will unlock if manually locked.

Date: June 5, 2015 @ 7:08 am

Larry, most likely actuators. Some testing would make sense. Good Luck.

159. Bill :

Date: June 6, 2015 @ 1:58 am

Hello, please help!

I have a 2002 Pontiac Montana.

All doors lock and unlock with the remote.

Doors lock when van is put into drive.

Doors unlock when van is put into park.

Using either the drivers side or passenger side lock switch on the door NO locks unlock or lock.

Any ideas?

Date: June 6, 2015 @ 8:08 am

Bill no common issues comes to mind. May require a wiring diagram and some testing. Good Luck.

161. Bill :

Date: June 6, 2015 @ 11:22 am

Thanks Dennis!

162. jesse :

Date: June 13, 2015 @ 8:38 pm

Hello, I have a 98 mercury cougar. the doors lock and unlock fine. the driver side switch will unlock but not lock. the passenger side switch locks but wont unlock. Any Ideas on how to fix?
    Your help would be very appreciated.

Date: June 15, 2015 @ 7:19 am

Most likely two bad switches. Good Luck.

164. Kay-lyn :

Date: June 18, 2015 @ 3:50 pm

I have a 97 ford expedition . But none of the door locks work by the buttons inside. Only way to lock my doors is the key. I’ve tried all the locks they don’t lock or unlock? Also I’ve check the fuses they are all good.

Date: June 19, 2015 @ 7:11 am

I would get a wiring diagram and do some electrical testing with a meter. It’s possible that there’s a bad master switch or an open circuit in the wiring. Good Luck.

166. jeff :

Date: June 22, 2015 @ 8:22 pm

My 2003 dodge ram conversion van power locks are stuck in the locked position. I had to pull the fuse because you can’t manually unlock it with the fuse still in it. As soon as I put the fuse back in all of the locks engage. When i try the key fob to unlock it I hear it engaging but nothing happens. Could it be the switch and if so which one? Thanks

Date: June 23, 2015 @ 7:22 am

Sounds like it could be a power switch stuck in the lock position. The driver’s side is the one that typically gets the most wear, so I’d look into that one first. You may also be able to feel the switches to see if one seems to be worn. Loose feeling or tight feeling could indicate a problem. Also if any drinks have been spilled, that could also cause a problem shorting a switch. Good Luck.

168. Bonkers :

Date: July 18, 2015 @ 6:05 pm

Hi – 2007 Ford Expedition EL. Doors will unlock with either front switches but will not re-lock (again tried both driver and passenger switches). Doors lock/unlock fine with keyfob as well with outside keypad. If its a switch – how do I determine which one?

Date: July 19, 2015 @ 9:56 am

Since they work with the key fob and keypad the wiring and actuators are good. I’d say most likely both switches are bad. Could try driver’s side first since wiring loops back around to it, but more than likely both would be bad. Good Luck.

170. Jeff :

Date: July 21, 2015 @ 2:03 am

Hi Dennis, Jeff here. I used to work for Snap-On’s equipment sales division but I got injured. I have a problem w/2001 Cavalier, the headlights went out and when I use the headlight switch it activates the unlock for the driver door. The wipers quit working too but I think that may be a washer motor problem I’ll know better tomorrow when I put in the new one. There’s 97K on the car. so far I can’t see any visual damage to the wiring harness and I’ve taken off the cover under bumper and fixed the under battery harness last year due to a faulty electronics caused by corrosion… (harness under battery tray) bad design from Chevy. Any help or pointing me in the right direction with this weird gremlin? THX, Jeff

Date: July 21, 2015 @ 7:35 am

Hello Jeff, I can’t imagine a common denominator for the head light circuit and the power door locks. I would check wiring diagrams for both and see what could be going on. Other than that, there could be a short between the circuits. Good Luck.

172. Eddiegirl :

Date: August 2, 2015 @ 12:13 pm

Bought a replacement window for a 2001 Ford Explorer at Junk Yard. The window is locked & we are not sure how to unlock the window. Thinking we need to put old window back on & unlock then put on replacement window.

Date: August 3, 2015 @ 8:19 am

Not sure what you mean by “locked”. Usually if the window will not move with the switch the motor could be bad. Removing the motor would allow you to move the window manually. Good Luck.

174. gerry :

Date: August 3, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

Hi Dennis,great forum…I have a 2004 town and country. The tailgate occasionally unlocks after I start the engine and the tailgate open light comes on. Also overnight the tailgate will sometimes open on its own,which resulted in a dead battery until I turned the interior lights off.The tailgate lock opens both manually and with the fob.Does this sound like a mechanical latch/actuator issue or a computer/ electric problem.

Date: August 3, 2015 @ 1:16 pm

This could be a computer control issue causing the rear cargo door to open or it could just be a bad key FOB. I would take the battery out of the remote temporarily to test. Otherwise, sounds like something for the shop to diagnose. Good Luck.

176. toad :

Date: August 3, 2015 @ 9:28 pm

Question plz: I have an 07 escape. The locks will lock and unlock using door panel, but do not lock/unlock by fob or when car reaches speed.
    And ideas?

Date: August 4, 2015 @ 10:25 am

If it was only not locking or unlocking with the key FOB, I would say a bad battery or remote. But since it doesn’t lock when reaching a higher speed there could be a different issue that may need to be checked with a scan tool. Understanding how the system operates and what the wiring diagram looks like may also be necessary. Good Luck.

178. Adeel :

Date: August 5, 2015 @ 5:09 pm

I have a Honda Accord LX Sedan 2005. I am having issue with the power door locking system. Auto Lock works only in one direction i.e. unlocking, I can not lock my car using remote/panel buttons on driver/passenger doors. I have to lock doors manually by pushing down the hook on each door. I can unlock door with both remote and door panel. Please help me what I need to do. Thanks

Date: August 6, 2015 @ 7:09 am

Adeel this could be a wiring or control module issue. Unfortunately this will most likely take someone with knowledge of this particular system and a wiring diagram. Then they can do pinpoint tests to narrow down the problem. Good Luck.

180. Dean Laird :

Date: August 6, 2015 @ 2:06 pm

Have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring driver side lock doesn’t work I’ve tried replacing it but that doesn’t help still doesn’t work at a loss.

181. Don :

Date: August 6, 2015 @ 3:21 pm

on a 06 Chrysler Town & Country, When put in drive, the door locks don’t engage. what could the problem be?

Date: August 6, 2015 @ 5:04 pm

Don, it would most likely take a scan tool to check and possibly a wiring diagram. But, sometimes it could just be a door ajar switch that’s bad. Good Luck.

183. TioTinto :

Date: August 6, 2015 @ 8:31 pm

2005 Camry LX: none of the power doors lock with either driver/pass switch. However, I can lock with the key in the door. Also, after locking them manually, neither door switch will unlock them. This problem started sporadic, when it would get hot, then eventually never lock.

Date: August 7, 2015 @ 7:35 am

So basically, power door locks do not work to lock or unlock. No mention of remote. A fuse is normally the first thing to check, but that would not make sense with the problem first occurring sporadically. Although I have seen fuses make contact partially which could be affected by heat. So if it’s not a fuse and the remote does not work it will take some trouble shooting with a meter and a wiring diagram. Good Luck.

185. Dan :

Date: August 25, 2015 @ 8:15 pm

Hello. My right rear door actuator is not working, so I am thinking of getting another one. This actuator is on my 2008 dodge ram 1500 SXT. Can one actuator cause the factory alarm system to not work? Can you let me know? Dan

Date: August 26, 2015 @ 7:52 am

Dan, it’s possible that if the computer is not seeing the door in the “locked” position that the alarm may not be able to be activated. Good Luck.

187. garypercel@yahoo.com :

Date: August 30, 2015 @ 9:11 pm

2009 ford mustang power door lock problem. Doors unlock with remote and both door switches. But nether doors lock with remote or the ether door switch.
    Believe it is the door lock relay. Were is it located?

Date: August 31, 2015 @ 10:20 am

I’d do some testing with a meter to diagnose. Sometimes after locating the relay you can switch with one of the other relays temporarily for test purposes. Usually relays are in the fuse boxes under the dash or under the hood. See your owners manual or a repair manual if necessary. Good Luck.

189. JennieC :

Date: September 12, 2015 @ 12:28 pm

The driver’s-side door lock on my 2006 Hyundai Tucson is stuck in the locked position. It won’t open with the power locks or manually from inside and the key won’t turn in the lock. The other door locks are fine. After a few days of opening the door using the inside handle (yay for safety features!), the lock will move some manually and the key turns halfway, but it snaps back to lock when pressure is released. Is this more likely a jammed physical mechanism, or an electrical (actuator, relay, etc.) issue?

Date: September 12, 2015 @ 1:48 pm

Sounds mechanical. Would have to take the inside door panel off and take a peak. Good Luck.

191. Joe Garza :

Date: September 17, 2015 @ 10:30 pm

Help. My 08 E350 work van pdl’s stopped working. They will unlock but will not lock. All doors and fob swithes. What should I look for?

Date: September 18, 2015 @ 8:15 am

Joe, could be several things, like a relay, a broken wire in the harness, a bad master switch, all actuators went bad (although usually one at a time) etc. But I would make sure the door “ajar” light is not on (in the dash/instrument panel). If the control module thinks one of the doors is open it may not allow the doors to lock. On some models it will lock and then immediately unlock. A bad door lock ajar switch, located in the door latch can cause that. Good Luck.

193. DeanB :

Date: September 29, 2015 @ 2:52 pm

My power door lock on the driver side sliding door of my ’05 Chrysler Town & Country stopped working. I could hear and feel it trying to lock/unlock when I pressed the power controls or the key fob, but it wouldn’t engage/disengage. I can unlock it manually. I have replaced the actuator and swapped it out with a few others with the same results. So I don’t think it is the actuator that has gone bad, but it seems as if there is not enough voltage getting to the actuator. Where else do I need to troubleshoot along the line to get this to work?

Date: September 29, 2015 @ 3:04 pm

I’d try a NEW one. You could also check voltage but since you say you tried several, I assume they were all used ones which could be bad also since they are a very common problem. Good Luck.