Jeep Liberty Power Window Problems – DIY Tips

9:34 am DIY, Jeep, Power Windows

Jeep_PW

Jeep Liberty rear door panel.

A Jeep Liberty window is falling down into a door at the alarming rate of one every minute! Kidding aside the Jeep Liberty does seem to have problems with a weak design for the window regulator. Typically the motor can be heard and the window can be raised by hand and temporarily taped in the up position until a replacement part can be purchased. The good news is that it is a really simple job even for a do it yourself-er (DIY), see the tips below.

Jeep_PW_2

1. First remove the small trim piece in the interior door handle bezel. And then remove the Philips screw.

Jeep_PW_3

2. Remove the Philips screw located in the door pull recess as pictured above.

3. Next pull the interior door panel away from the door. It is held by plastic clips, a trim tool or screwdriver may be used to pry it off, being careful not to damage the panel. Push the manual door lock button down through the hole in the door panel.

Jeep_PW_4

4. Un-clip the door latch rod on the backside of the door panel and remove it. Next remove the door speaker and take the moisture barrier off of the inside of the door. Take note of where the rod goes through the barrier. One metal clip will need to be removed that holds the window to the regulator, hook it with a screwdriver or pick and pull to remove it. Secure the window in the UP position to allow removal of the broken regulator.

Jeep_PW_5

5. Unplug the window motor by sliding the red retainer, squeezing the connector and pulling it from the motor. Once the motor is unplugged, remove the six 10mm bolts that hold the window motor and regulator to the door. There will be one plastic retainer on the cable that secures the cable to the door to keep it away from the window when it is in operation. After the cable is loose, the assembly can now be removed through the access hole in the door.

Jeep_PW_6

If replacing with a factory assembly, the motor should be already mounted to the regulator. Reverse the procedure outlined. When attaching the window to the regulator the clip stays on the regulator and can be secured by positioning the window and squeezing it together. It will pop on easily, now proceed with the re-assembly.

Related Car Repair Article and Specialty Tools

Jeep Grand Cherokee Interior Door Handle Broken – Recall?

Car Mechanics Specialty Tools – Automotive Tools and Shop Supplies

1. tim :

Date: October 16, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

Wonder if peter alvarez ever got his cable out… I really hope he did and he can tell me how… cant msg or email him directly on here can I?

Date: October 19, 2010 @ 6:24 am

How do I separate the window from the regulator in an 07 Jeep Liberty? I have the new regulator (factory) but I don’t see clips and I can’t see if there is a hole in the window. HELP pleeeeze.

Date: October 19, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Mike, there could be two different types. One will be a metal clip like in the picture. The other one will be all plastic. You can look at the new one to determine which one you have.

Liberty Window Regulator Clip

4. steve :

Date: October 27, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

I’ve had my 07 Liberty for a year. My right rear window fell down about 6 months after I got it and my driver window fell down this week. I had a friend put a piece of wood under the window in the rear.

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

Hey Dennis, I was having the same regulator problem on my 07 Liberty and saw some saying to contact Jeep, so after some calling I got them to take care of the problem for free. It is worth the effort. I told them that I have owned many jeeps in my life (which I have)and wanted to contiue to. Although they need to stop using cheap parts. Thanks for your help!

6. Cody :

Date: November 10, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

I will admit I’ve had power window issues on other vehicles, but no unit appears as poorly designed as my 04 Jeep Liberty. Whoever thought to snake a long cable through the door, make a sharp kink and glue on a little plastic clip is an utter dumb a**. Two windows have been fixed at $400 a piece, one I just secured closed with a zip-tie, and one of the repaired units has gone down again, another candidate for the zip-ties. The real confusion is that the windows, especially the rear ones are rarely touched, and are still breaking. I think by now someone should be able to figure out a way to twist this into a safety issue. I need to commend Chrysler for manufacturing the worst vehicle I’ve ever owned. I really can’t wait to get rid of this lemon. Hello Toyota!

Date: November 10, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Cody, I fully understand your frustration. However Toyota has had their share of issues lately. I know people that work in the service department at a local Toyota dealership which are keeping very busy with all of the recent campaigns (recalls).

8. Cody :

Date: November 11, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

I won’t dispute that every vehicle comes with its fair share of problems. I think a vehicle with such an obvious design flaw, regardless of safety implications, should be investigated and acknowledged by its manufacturer resulting some remedy for the trouble. Whether that be tweaking the design or simply some reimbursement for repairs. Overall, what I’m trying to say is that due to my experience with Chrysler products and service recently, they will not be receiving return service from me. (BTW, thanks for the DIY breakdown)

Date: November 13, 2010 @ 10:51 am

Cody, I agree. Quality or “lack of” is obviously a determining factor when consumers are considering a new purchase. Hopefully the American car manufacturers can get their act together – I truly beleive most Americans would like to purchase from one of the big 3. Our household has a Chevy Impala SS, a Dodge Dakota and a Ford Mustang. How these hold up will help to determine our loyalty to American manufacturers next time around!

10. Norm :

Date: November 15, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

got my 2006 liberty about 6 months ago. 2 days ago my driveside back window was down. I tried to put it up and of course nothing happened. got on line to see what i could find out, holy crap, couldnt believe what i was reading about all the people with the same problems. Looks like nothing is going to be done about this problem. So not willing to spend $149 to replace motor and regulator and would never let a dealer work on it, i took matters into my own hands.removed all the components and like others , the cheap plastic piece that connects the window to the regulator was broke.i simply drilled 2 small holes in the plastic piece, then took 2 wires and looped it around the regulaor and twisted them very tight then ran the wire through the holes and swisted them tightly on the back side of the plastic piece. the holes must be drilled close to the center so the wire will fit in the track and not drag. Took about 2 and a half hours but saved alot of money. so far so good.

11. Rosemary Gonzalez :

Date: November 18, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

I purchased my 04 Jeep Liberty brand spanking new in December of 03 and of course as soon as the warranty wore off these damn window regulators started breaking down. I have replaced all windows too many times. I need to get information on who the manufacturer is on these parts so I can give them my piece of mind. Definitely, they need a recall.

Date: November 24, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

The latest news on this problem. It has been reported that Jeep will repair windows on 2005 Libertys with a $100 copay/deductible. No copay required on 2005 and 2006 models. Contact your local dealer for details – I have not been able to find anything in WRITING yet. At this point we are unsure if this is an actual recall or a silent campaign – seems to be on a case by case basis. This extension of the warranty is obviuously due to public outcry regarding a very poor design.

Click to see the related article on Jeep Grand Cherokee interior door handles. NHTSA complaints may accelerate a response from Jeep on yet another short coming.

13. Terri Roberts :

Date: November 25, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

I have a 2006 Jeep liberty. It is 4 years old and 36K miles on the vehicle. I just had the fourth motor go out on the window. I have owned two Jeep grand cherokee’s and never had these issues. I am very disappointed in this line of vehicle and have always loved the jeep line and really am thinking I am done with jeep. The dealership I take it to does not really care that this is a problem only are too happy to take my hard earned money to fix the problem because if do not have a functioning window opens the door for car thieves or getting rain into the car. Very frustrating!!!
    Terri Roberts
    unhappy customer

14. Megan :

Date: December 4, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

I am currently replacing the passenger side window on my 2007 Jeep Liberty (already had the driver side replaced a few months ago…not paying for that again). My dilemma is that the spiral cable is stuck inside the plastic tubing and I cannot get it out…this is where the plastic piece that breaks off is lodged and the whole thing is stuck. Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement or does anyone have any tips to remove that piece? Thanks!

Date: December 5, 2010 @ 11:09 pm

Dennis,what about the 2002’s? any word on those?

Date: December 6, 2010 @ 7:36 am

Mike, no news on any other years. You could check with the dealer but as far as the news I’ve heard there’s not any consideration for dealers helping out with 2002’s.

17. Geoffrey :

Date: December 11, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

2002 Liberty… on my third window as of today. First time on this excellent website… had no idea of all the great company I am in. Decided just to zip-tie the window up (a very simple procedure, just place the zip-tie through the 2 small holes while holding the window up, connect and pull tight). Put a “safety complaint” in as well FWIW.

18. Cody :

Date: December 26, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

2 more window failures since my last visit to this forum. Thoroughly agitated about this entire situation with the 02-06 Liberty, I warmed up the vacuum tubes, hopped on the interweb, spent a good day searching and finally found these guys http://www.steigerperformance.com/ These metal brackets ought to outlast every other part on this vehicle, and I will gladly post an update once they arrive and get installed. I recommend EVERYONE owning this vehicle install a set to go around and be done with all this horse sh*t.

19. p4tner :

Date: January 6, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

Those that had the dealerships fix the window regulators…..did they replace the window as well or just the regulator?

Date: January 9, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I was locked out again, after paying and watching locksmith, went to work on rear right window, not luck so since it was ten degrees and snowing, i lightly punched the top of the window and it fell an inch, do i need a regulator or is it just out of the track, going to check tomorrow.

21. linda :

Date: January 21, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

When I picked up my Jeep Liberty in 2006 with less than 1000 miles on it the window was down so it had to stay and get fixed. Then a short time later, another window, then warranty expired – dealer had moved from my area so I went to a mechanic shop nearby and paid approx. 200 dollars. Now another window has gone down and on the same day I get the letter that they will extend the warranty and reinburse prior repair costs. Does anyone know if that warranty will still be in effect for me since I used someone other than the dealer? If so, do you think I’ll qualify for a refund?? Thanks

22. Keith :

Date: January 28, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

OMG if i had only known. The wife’s 03′ Liberty Driver’s rear just went out. I have the rail guide (metal piece with the glass trolley) and the runout cable pulled from the door. Are there model numbers or part #’s for these? the motor seems to work well.

23. Barry :

Date: February 2, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Linda
    I talked to a Jeep Service Rep (at the toll free # on their Website) this morning about the warranty extension for the window operators. He said it was issued for 2006 & 07 Liberty’s only. It didn’t apply to my 05′.
    I’ve had the same regulator replaced 3 times by the dealer. The strange thing is the window never gets operated. The plastic part in the regulator is what fails. I’m ordering a new metal aftermarket replacement part. No way Jeep and/or their dealerships are going to gouge me again!

24. Terri :

Date: August 15, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

Three of my four windows have done this. I just recently found out the (which has now expired) re call/ warranty only applies to certian vin numbers. Which my jeep does not apply to. Chrysler says I may qualify for cost assistance with a co pay. Oh brother I have this huge fear it’s going to be crazy high. So I am going to do the repair myself
    if it’s not one thing with this POS it’s another. So disappointed in Jeep.
    Has anyone found a solution to the shaking at certian speeds???

Date: August 16, 2014 @ 9:33 am

Terri all vehicles have certain issues. I haven’t heard of the vibration issue. Most of the time it could just be the condition of the tires or a wheel balance issue. One issue with some of the Liberty’s that I have heard of lately has been the inside door handles breaking. Count yourself lucky if yours haven’t broke. And be easy when working on the door panels for removal since they may be weak. Good Luck.

26. Jeff :

Date: August 18, 2014 @ 11:46 am

My 2003 Liberty is now my daughters as well – this is the first window issue – but the driver window still works, goes up and down, but when going down the cable (I assume from the regulator) rolls out of the top of the slot. When rolling the window down it goes back into the slot with the window. IS this just a broken clip on the cable that I can fix – or is this a regulator replacement issue as well?

Date: August 18, 2014 @ 1:27 pm

Jeff, I would take the door panel off and inspect it. Chances are you will need a regulator because they don’t sell just pieces. Good Luck.

28. chris :

Date: August 25, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

Since we use the A/C more than rolling down the windows I removed the door panel plastic and used 2 small bungee cords to support the window. Hooked the bottom of the window, then stretched the other ends to a hole on the door panel. Reattached the plastic and door panel. Cheap and quick fix!

Date: August 25, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

Chris, thanks for the comment. I like the dual suction cup idea too for a temporary fix.

30. Jennifer :

Date: September 2, 2014 @ 7:55 am

My window currently will only go down a fraction of an inch, and the cable rolls up out of the slot similar to jeff’s problem, the window rolls back up to the top with no issue, but getting tired of it not being able to go down, I asked my fiancé to fix it for me as a birthday present. In googling how much it would cost I ran across this site. I decided to give Chrysler’s chat a try to see if I could get some of it covered because I damn sure want the brand new window and setup and not just a new regulator with the same problem. No luck. “ma’am your vehicle warranty expired in 2006 and there is no recall issued” Any idea of how to make this a cheaper fix? if I buy the metal piece that solves the problem and have someone from Goodyear, etc. install it will it be cheaper than taking it to the dealer and having them replace the window, et.al.?

Date: September 2, 2014 @ 8:35 am

Jennifer, any aftermarket shop would usually have lower shop rates than the dealer. You are best off taking this to your regular mechanic that you’ve used in the past that you can trust to do good work. Good Luck.

32. bsr :

Date: September 3, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

I just want to get the rear drivers side window to stay up. Exactly how are people using the zip ties to keep it up? What do they mean that they put it around the plastic regulator and ‘metal rail’?

Date: September 3, 2014 @ 5:13 pm

Once you get the door panel off you should be able to figure it out. You could also just use a dual suction cup without taking the door panel off. Good Luck.

34. LisaMac :

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 9:02 am

I had both rear regulators replaced in 2010 and just had the right rear fail again :( I have been trying to reach Jeep to see if they will help? All I can get is “leave a voicemail”? Any advice? I may just disable it using the “wire tie” method.

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 9:07 am

The original factory warranty for the entire vehicle is 3-36 (3 years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first). They extended this some vehicles for certain things. I doubt they will do anything about a repair that was made in 2010. Parts do fail, nothing lats for ever. That’s to be expected. There’s no open ended warranty from any car manufacturer. Good Luck.

36. LisaMac :

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 12:18 pm

Thanks, I only asked because I had seen a post from this list:

“Barry :

Date: February 2, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Linda
    I talked to a Jeep Service Rep (at the toll free # on their Website) this morning about the warranty extension for the window operators. He said it was issued for 2006 & 07 Liberty’s only.”

And wondered if anyone else had heard this?

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

Yes, I heard that abbout 4 or 5 years ago when I worked at Carmax. We found out because an extended warranty company declined a repair because the manufacurer had extended their warranty. I would be very surprised now in 2014 that they do anything for a 2006 or 2007.

38. LisaMac :

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 1:18 pm

Hey :) Good news! Yep mine is covered. They have extended that warranty to cover the “window lifter” on some vehicles. Never hurts to call and ask. Thanks so much!

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

That’s great. I am totally shocked.

40. LisaMac :

Date: September 10, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

Me too! They have extended the warranty for the original owner for 7 years from the “In service” date. For the window lift plate, the warranty # is X27. I hope this helps someone else :)

41. Karen :

Date: March 24, 2015 @ 8:40 am

In my 2004 Jeep Liberty, my front passenger side window is all the way down and does not seem to be loose so I have not been able to pull it up. Any idea on how I can get it up until I can have it repaired?

Date: March 24, 2015 @ 8:49 am

With the door panel removed try tapping on the motor while working the switch. If that doesn’t work it may be necessary to unbolt the motor and then raise the window. Good Luck.

43. OurDee :

Date: April 2, 2015 @ 10:55 pm

I have large zip ties holding up all four of my windows. Another failure point is the lack of notification of the extended warranty, or I would not have all four zip tied. That ticks me off even more.

44. Franklin :

Date: June 27, 2015 @ 8:03 pm

My 2002 Liberty Sport rear driver window regulator went out yesterday. I’m assuming it’s the regulator. For now, I’ve put some heavy duty clamps to keep the window up.

If this were the only problem with this Jeep, no big deal, but I’ve been through two radiators (second time radiator went out, it stranded in Montana in an area with no cell reception and in 100+ degree heat with a dog), water pump, A/C condenser (and a year after the repair, A/C not staying cold all the time), four speed sensors, and more misc repairs that I’m not remembering. All this in 40k miles from 65k to 105k.

I’ve had half a dozen used Hondas and have never had this many problems with any of them.

The 2002 Jeep Liberty model is a lemon. Buyer beware: DO NOT BUY A LIBERTY!

Date: June 29, 2015 @ 7:32 am

Have to say I’d probably trust a 100,000 mile/13 year old Honda over a Jeep same age and miles, for dependability. Maintenance does play a large factor also. Thanks for the comment.

46. Tim R :

Date: July 19, 2015 @ 11:59 am

I installed a new right rear window regulator in a 2004 Jeep Liberty a few months ago. The window dropped again and it appears that when the window is raised all the way, the retainer clip pops out. I don’t know why this is happening?

Date: July 20, 2015 @ 7:02 am

I’d check the operation with the door panel off. Maybe something needs adjustment or the clips tightened up. Good Luck.

48. Steve R :

Date: August 5, 2015 @ 10:43 am

Are there two different size regulator clips holes? I just replaced the regulator and motor RR on my 2005 liberty and can not get the metal nipple back into the slop on the plastic clip far enough to get the metal clip on it.

Date: August 5, 2015 @ 11:08 am

Not that I’m aware of. But by comparing them you should be able to see. Good Luck.