Chevy P0017 CAM/Crankshaft Position Correlation

9:29 pm Chevrolet, How To Auto Repair

Cam solenoid is missing screen at X position

© Summary: Many Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon pick ups are having problems with P0014 and/or P0017 codes. This has to do with the correlation of the camshaft and crankshaft as the computer sees them. Idle can be affected and the vehicle can even stall. The culprit is almost always the camshaft actuator solenoid valve, not the crankshaft position sensor or a cam position sensor. There have been reports of rough idle and fluctuation as well. The solenoid affects the variable cam timing control. One of the tiny screens can wear and be disintegrated causing everything to go awry.

DIY – Location of the Solenoid

The good news is that this is an easy job to tackle. The camshaft actuator solenoid valve is located on the right side of the engine below the valve cover. It is held in with one 10mm bolt. Once the bolt is out, twist the solenoid while pulling it at the same time to remove. It’s easy to check to see if the screen is missing before purchasing a new one.

After replacing the cam solenoid and clearing the code, change the engine oil to help insure any remnants of the screen will be removed from the engine. Here’s hoping it does no further damage.

Related Car Repair Blogs and Auto Tools

Code Readers and Scan Tools

P1281 Thermostat Code Envoy 4.2 Liter

1. Brad :

Date: April 20, 2009 @ 3:49 pm

Awesome, been searching the web for hours this was exactly what was wrong! Thank You!

2. greg :

Date: April 24, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

thank you for this tip. First i changed three sensors that didnt help. intake-exhaust-cam position Then i found this page and it runs great now.

3. Jeramy :

Date: July 14, 2009 @ 3:43 pm

Good to know im not the only one who has this problem, and even better to know i found this page a day after i figured out what the problem was

4. J-Dawg :

Date: October 3, 2009 @ 10:12 pm

Thanks a bunch for posting this page!!! I had this same code, P0017, and I searched for someone who had this error (fault code). I pulled my solenoid valve out, and what do you know… the same screen was missing! Had to pay 98 bucks for the part. Thank you so much!

5. Lando :

Date: November 7, 2009 @ 5:58 pm

Lifesaver!! can’t thank you enough. I had the same “screen” missing on mine.

Date: November 12, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

Thanks for your help, 2005 2.8 colorado less that 39000 miles, also was the same screen gone replaced and hooked it up!

7. Sashmo :

Date: January 23, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

2002 Envoy, I changed it, I still get the same problem. I’ve been trying to tackle why my oil pressure is moving like a roller-coaster at idle, and fine while I drive… Any sugestions?

Date: January 24, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Sashmo, Sounds like the engine is worn. With differently designed engines (that don’t have the solenoid) the vehicle could be driven indefinitely with a worn engine. The problem is, if there’s any metal from worn bearings circulating in the engine oil, it can damage the solenoid screen causing a host of problems. If anyone has repeated failure of this solenoid, engine wear could be the cause. Also you say the oil pressure is low at idle, this is an indicator of worn bearings as well (if the oil pressure is truly low). An oil pressure gauge can be used to verify the pressure.

9. BobbyD :

Date: February 3, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

I changed both parts and still get a P0017 code – What else could it be?

Date: February 3, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

Bobby D, BOTH parts? Only one part mentioned in the short article.

This is not meant to be a cure-all, just a common issue for this code on this vehicle.

11. Bobby D. :

Date: February 4, 2010 @ 10:43 am

Well, I changed the camshaft actuator solenoid – cleared the code. The next day it re-appeared. Then I changed the one in front it – the crankshaft position sensor (I think – I don’t have the “paperwork” – it cost about $45 (got it for $32).
    So I GUESS I need to change the other one – cam position sensor because the light came back on. One parts dealer said to change the one that is under the truck that deals with the timing -HELP!
    (GMC 2006 Canyon – 2.8)

Date: February 4, 2010 @ 11:13 am

If the screen is missing AGAIN then there could be engine wear factoring in.

If the screen is not missing, you may be dealing with a not so common issue. It may be worth it to pay to have it diagnosed properly rather than using the double barrell PARTS shot gun. Wish I could be of more help.

13. Bobby D :

Date: February 6, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

I went back and look at my old sensor – the screen wasn’t missing at all – so why P0017? I’m carrying to the “high price” dealership!!! It runs GREAT! But that engine light bothers me – it has to GO!

Date: February 6, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

Bobby, that’s why I recommend checking o see if the screen is missing before purchasing a new one.

I’d be interested in finding out what the dealer says the problem is since in this case you’ve eleminated the solenoid.

15. C Houston :

Date: February 7, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Just replaced the cam actuator on 06 Colorado at the dealership. Check engine light came back on within 5 hrs of picking up from the shop. Back to the shop tomorrow. Had the P0017 code when the dealership did the diagnostics. Wonder what the next trip will cost me?

16. Bobby D. :

Date: February 12, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

I went to Advance Auto and one of the men there told me that it was the “crankshaft sensor” so I ordered it. What I had done was replace both “camshaft sensors.” The part will be in 16th – when the snow and cold leaves I’ll put it on and let you know. Thanks for your help.

17. C Houston :

Date: February 14, 2010 @ 3:31 pm

Ok, the dealership has replaced the cam actuator and the exhaust cam actuator on my 06 Colorado. After driving it about 40 miles, the check engine light has once again come on. Any idea what to look at next?

18. Fletch :

Date: February 14, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

Timing could very well be off. it’s possible after replacing the exhaust cam actuator that the actuator was not fully advanced. Everything will line up and look okay after put back together but once the engine is rotated and the actuator gets advanced it could be off.

19. Bobby D :

Date: February 15, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

Got my “CRANKSHAFT” sensor today – Monday -from Adavance Auto and put it on in about 15 minutes. Cleared the code and so far no more P0017 and no engine light. IF it comes back on I’ll let you know. Thanks for your help!!

20. Bobby D. :

Date: February 16, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Today is Tuesday – 16th – No “ENGINE LIGHT” – No “CODES” – Crankshaft Sensor fixed it.
    BUT – my ABS light came on. I’ve got to read up on that NOW!

21. Sam :

Date: March 7, 2010 @ 12:34 am

where is the crankshaft sensor located on the 4cyl

22. BobbyD :

Date: March 12, 2010 @ 10:34 am

It is located underneath on the driver’s side.

23. BobbyD :

Date: March 12, 2010 @ 10:36 am

By the way – I’ve changed all of those sensors and after about 4 days my light came back on. Dealership HERE I COME! Unless someone got some more information.

24. benny :

Date: March 22, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

dI changed it, I still get the same problem,the same code p0017(colorado 2006)

25. BobbyD :

Date: March 24, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Well, GMC dealer says that it is the actuator and it will cost $900+ to fix it. They stated that they could hear something therefore the pin in there is sheared – I told them to FIX – WE WILL SEE!

26. Jeff :

Date: April 22, 2010 @ 10:43 pm

My wife took my 06′ Colorado to the dealership and was told that codes P0014 and P0017 were coming up…… It’s costing me 295.99 to get fixed…. I had it taken to the dealer because of a campaign regarding the rough idling issues..(I was having these problems for the past 2 weeks)… Don’t know how the cam could be go with only 30,000 miles? Called GM and they told my wife SOL, there aren’t any recalls regarding these codes only the P0300. Anyone else having these problems? My wife is writing a long letter to GM and is trying to find more people with the same issues… Thanks!

27. JEFF P. :

Date: April 25, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

“09 Colorado w/4cyl.
    At 8,600 miles took to dealership. Engine light had come on for one evening before hand. P0017. Light went back out before I got to dealer. They replaced exhaust cam shaft actuator sol. At 9,500 miles took back to dealer. My service ticket says they replaced R/R cam shaft actuator with a new bolt and gasket. They had it 3 days. Fixed on warranty.

28. BobbyD :

Date: April 29, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

Been on VACATION – But dealership fix it but it cost be over $1000.

29. AndreM, :

Date: June 12, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

04 colorado 3.5lt
    Thanks you saved me so much B.S. i had checked everything before i came across this page pulled it out and the exact screen was missing cost an arm and a leg for the part but runs perfect now Thanks again :-)

30. mike smith :

Date: June 25, 2010 @ 9:38 am

I have a 04 colorado with the same code and I just replaced this part in feb of this year and my truck just spins over and won’t start and if it does start the rpms go up and down then stalls.

31. Peter Burnett :

Date: June 28, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado crew cab. just over 50k for miles and check engine light came on code P0017. Dealer initially stated “oh no problem easy fix” No can’t pass state emissions. Reputable repair facility contacted GM and a Chevy dealership both stated that many of the 2006 colorado engines have a known sludge and cam shaft problem. just to diagnos this problem cost $1000 and to possibly repair or at least fix the engine so the P0017 code won’t come back (GM dealership guaranty for one year) The problem may come back after that and or there may be additional codes that will come up and result in emissions inspection failure. Cost for the possible fix is $2500 – $3000. Alternative is to replace the engine. there is no guaranty that this will solve the problem because replacing with another similar engine may again result in the P0017 failure down the road. Has anyone else had this problem. I am between a rock and a hard place as they say.

32. John P. :

Date: September 13, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

I recently had the Vent Solenoid and the Cam Actuator replaced by a repair shop, along with an oil change. I’ve removed the new Cam Actuator to look to see if there were any screens missing, and there wasn’t. While I was doing this, the battery was disconnected. I left the battery disconnected, replaced the Cam Actuator, but did not reconnect anything until at least an hour later so that the computer would reset. After reconnecting the Actuator, and the battery, my check engine light would be off, until I turned my truck off, then restarted. I was told that I’m continuing to get this error code, P0017, because I have ‘sludge’ in the engine. I’ve been changing the oil every two weeks, or 1,000 miles, using full synthetic oil, plus ‘Gunk’, internal engine cleaner which is supposed to help remove gunk. No matter what it is that I do, the code won’t go away. Brand new parts and everything, fresh oil change this past weekend and still no long. Any ideas? Any other suggestions that could help? I’m a DIY type of person, so I’d rather be hands on then going to a shop or dealer.

Date: September 14, 2010 @ 6:49 am

John, engine sludge can be a REAL problem. The very small passages for delivering oil to the actuator can be restricted easily. Internal engine cleaners can sometimes loosen and dislodge so much sludge that chunks of it end up in the oil pan and sometimes clogs the pick up screen. In my experience severely sludged engines that have had internal engine cleaners used, need to have the oil pan removed and the oil pick up screen cleaned or even replaced. One suggestion in your case may be to remove the actuator and crank the engine over, allowing oil to flush out the passage (this will be messy).

I know you don’t want hind sight advice, but here it goes “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Good Luck

34. Zane :

Date: October 17, 2010 @ 8:12 pm

This was the same problem with my 2004 trailblazer. I was searching for the any diagnosis of cam position and cranckshaft position correlation and ran across this. The code I was getting was P0016. I figured what the heck and pulled my actuator out, and There it was, all ate up and ripped in half. Thank goodness I did not have to spend 150 bucks for all of the stupid sensors that would have done nothing. Thanks you so much!!!! I hope some one runs across this that has a trail blazer and saves themselves some money.

Date: October 17, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

They just have 😉

36. doren child :

Date: October 18, 2010 @ 10:20 am

Awesome info. Exactly what you had pictured is what i found. Thanks.

37. JR N :

Date: November 2, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Ok fellas here is the fix when my engine used to turn over for a long time before starting. apr 2010 my check engine light came on: p0013, p0017, p2191, p0300. they replaced plugs for p0300, the ign coil, throttle body for p0013 n p0017, and replaced the exhaust camshaft solenoid gm # 12615873. then may 2010 check engine light again! they replaced the crankshaft position sensor gm# 12588097, drove it 2x and started it 20x and code still not reset. they removed the valve cover and no sludge. dealer contacted technical assistance and was told to replace exhaust cam actuator, timing chain (chain was loose), tensioner and shoes replaced (worn). dealer reset codes, test drove and no reset. then he replaced the camshaft position sensor and tested drove and started 20x and it stayed off. now today is nov 2010 and my truck would not start, just crank over and over, then when i released the key, the engine was cranking by itself. i took off the battery and connector to the exh cam shaft solenoid for 10 mins. then reconnected and truck crank over and released key and truck tried to start on own but not. called dealer and they said bring to shop but i have to get it running first!! i am going to buy the cam shaft pos sensor and the exhaust camshaft actuator to see if starts.

Date: November 2, 2010 @ 11:45 am

JR N, I would check for codes, fuel pressure, spark, injector pulse etc. I know the problem could be related to the previous issues, however it may just be that the fuel pump or something else unrelated has failed.

As far as it turning over by itself; this is normal. The ignition will turn over for several seconds to start. If it does not start up right away it will continue a little longer. You may think something is wrong with the switch or starter, but that part is totally normal.

39. John P :

Date: November 3, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

Going back to my issue that was posted on 9/13/2010. I was removed the sensor, and cranked the engine to allow the oil to flow out. Yes, it was extremely messy, but with me, it was an easy clean up. After I completed this, I replaced the sensor, I did a basica oil change. Replaced with full synthetic oil, and a brand new oil filter. Once the computer was reset, I took a test drive, and after turning my truck off, then restarting it, the light came right back on.

The other suggestion I was given was to drop the oil pan and clean the oil screen.

How do you go about removing the oil pan to to clean the oil pick up screen, or determine if I need to replace this screen?

40. Desertrunnr41 :

Date: November 30, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

Ok, My turn. Check engine light appeared on My 2006 Canyon yesterday, drove it 40 miles to the dealer and interesting to see what they diagnose. I had noticed that it seemed to have a bit of a lower idle over perhaps the past few months and figured maybe I just needed some spark plugs after 35,000 miles. (2nd owner here) for close to 2 years so no idea if they had ever been changed. On another note living here in the desert southwest on those days above 100 its nearly impossible to run the A/C very long when driving anywhere there are stoplights as the Temp gauge quickly rises from lets say half to above 3/4ths the way. Then I pray for the light to change after I have already turned off the a/c then zoom off to cool it down. Fluid is fine and its been thru 2 summers now. Glad i live in the country!!!

41. John R :

Date: January 25, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

This was an awesome DIY. I pulled the part and was exactly as displayed. $92 later back in business and only took 10 minutes to change.

42. Schley harvin :

Date: February 2, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

I have an 04 colorado and have the p0017 code I changed the part the cam selenoid and reset my computer. The code reappeared ten min later I don’t know what else to try I am sick of the rough idleing and the reduced power thing coming up.

Date: February 3, 2011 @ 7:19 am

The most common cause of the codes listed in this auto repair article is the solenoid. Good Luck.

44. A (Lisa) Hall :

Date: September 15, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

I am having problems with my 2006 Chevrolet Colorado due to the code P0017. I will be taking this up with General Motors. I have failed inspection and can’t afford to keep trying to repair and can’t purchase a new truck. It seems as though this vehicle is getting a bad reputation.

Date: September 16, 2014 @ 7:39 am

Lisa, this is a common issue. There’s no recall that I’m aware of, just a common failure pattern. Good Luck.

46. coco :

Date: November 14, 2014 @ 10:14 am

p0016 showed up when i got oil change,started it up and engine light on

Date: November 14, 2014 @ 11:39 am

Regradless of when it came on, it means the same thing. “P0016 CAM/Crankshaft Position Correlation” Good Luck.

48. CraigF :

Date: November 16, 2014 @ 12:23 pm

Great article and I thought this was my problem on my 2005 Colorado (5 cyl). So I removed the solenoid for inspection. All three screens were intact but the middle one seemed to be clogged with fine metal particles. Could this cause the P0017? Is there a preferred way to clean this? I wiped it gently but only had a little success. Also, these electrical connectors are a little tricky, I’d appreciate a clue on how they work, it tool longer for me to figure out how to release the connector than it did to remove the solenoid. Plus the bracket for the screw worked away from the solenoid and I had to leverage it back into position to get the screw to line up for reassembly. But my truck seems to run fine. These codes are good to see but seem only to suggest a problem, not really tell you anything specific.

49. WanderingWillow :

Date: November 17, 2014 @ 10:13 am

We have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that has over 100k miles on it. Its a good running truck except for the problem with the gosh darn check engine light. We’ve done codes and they all match whats listed here. I’m just wondering, what exactly causes this problem? Also we have some sludge that sometimes clogs this tube that goes into the big black box on top of the engine. (sorry no idea) I’m wondering is that also a symptom of this or is it something else entirely? Thanks

Date: November 17, 2014 @ 10:42 am

Craig and Wandering Willow, It’s been awhile since I released the connector on one of these. Seems like depressing the tab is what’s needed to release it. More importantly, engine wear can be the indirect cause of the code. The metal collecting on the screen and blocking flow could defintely cause the codes. If there are metal particles found in the screen, I would try changing the engine oil & filter and installing a magnetic drain plug, in an attempt to keep the metal that’s worn off the bearings, reaching the screen in the sensor. The idea is that the metal sticks to the drain, so it can be cleaned off at each oil change. Of course this is not a fix for the wear, just a way to buy a little more time. As far as the sludge in the tube, that has to do with crankcase ventilation. Could try changing the PCV valve. I wouldn’t say that that has anything to do with these codes though. Good Luck.

51. Erik P :

Date: November 18, 2014 @ 10:01 pm

I’m glad to find a site with issues similar to mine, but need to pick your brain. Basic stats: ’05 Colorado Crew Cab, LK5 (4cyl), 4L60E, 4×4. Replaced engine with NAPA reman at 136,120 miles. No MILs on during break in cycle. Now MIL and “ABS FAULT” come on almost every time, P0017 and misc. abs front sensor codes. Can use Scangauge II to shut of the engine MIL, but code comes back as pending then a hard code. Engine only has 250 miles on it, has had the code since mile 1. New Ex. Cam. Actuator, plugs, belts, hoses, oil, etc. Local dealer has used Tech II to verify CKS & CMS action and has relearned the cam/crank correlation. Have cleaned and ohmed the G105 and G106 ground packs on both inner fenders as well as the grounds on the left side of the block. Still have the MIL. Any other ideas? Will be rechecking torque on the crank bolt tomorrow, otherwise I am at a loss. Thanks in advance. Erik

Date: November 19, 2014 @ 7:08 am

Erik, the P0017 is not as common with the 4cyl (2.8) that you have. This post was written for the 5cyl 3.5 engines that have a very common issue with these codes. However, if your previous engine was replaced due to wear, perhaps there’s metal contamination on one of the reused sensors associated with camshaft or crankshaft. A crank bolt being loose would not have anything to do with these codes unless the pulley was about to come off. It’s possible that the ABS issue is a coincidence and has nothing to do with the recent engine installation. But, when an engine is replaced there’s a lot of connections undone and reconnected. There’s also a chance of wiring being stretched, crushed or connector pins being bent. Basically there’s a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong because of all the work that has to be done to change an engine and swap components. Even a ground strap that is loose can wreak havoc with computerized systems. Yes I speak from experience. I left a ground strap loose which attached to the rear of an engine cylinder head when I replaced a motor and the vehicle wouldn’t run. Turns out it was a very important ground that the computer used. Point is, there’s many things that can be left loose or could have been damaged during the R&R (Removal and Installation) process of a motor. If everything appears tight and undamaged, it’s time to diagnose the individual faults using a wiring diagram and knowledge of how the circuit works and how to carry out tests to pinpoint the problem. This is easier said than done and may require a tech that is experienced in wiring and electrical issues. Good Luck.

53. Erik P :

Date: November 19, 2014 @ 7:30 am

Thank you for the clarification, especially on the crank bolt and sensor contamination. I will continue to check wiring and connections. My students truly enjoyed a real “hands on” project with this Colorado and I know they’ll be excited when it’s finally done.

Date: November 19, 2014 @ 7:47 am

Erik, didn’t know it was an auto-shop class project. That’s great experience for the guys. It also shows how things can happen in the real shop environment, that is a missing element in the classroom in most cases. It would be great if you can post the solutions to the problems you’ve mentioned. Good Luck to you and your students.

55. Baddog :

Date: November 25, 2014 @ 8:17 pm

Thank you so much! Had the P0017 code on my Hummer H3 and it was exactly like you said. The screen on the cam solenoid was ripped… Wow.. Thanks!

Date: November 26, 2014 @ 7:25 am

Glad the article helped. Happy Holidays.

57. Erik P :

Date: December 7, 2014 @ 6:46 pm

For our update: It’s going on three weeks now and we still have not determined the problem. A rough idle seems to be setting the P0017. It only sets at idle, never at highway speeds. Have checked all vacuum hoses, ports, and wiring connections since last posting. Tech II shows misfire on 1,3,&4 cylinders sporadically, and only, at idle, sometimes no misfire, sometimes right away. Shutting off injectors individually produces expected drop in RPM and rougher idle. The guys (as well as their instructor) are frustrated and baffled. The only check left on the GM protocol is to open the engine and check timing. Ouch, that’s a couple of day job with only 50 minute periods! Quite a bummer on a fresh crate engine. Thanks for your help!

Date: December 7, 2014 @ 7:14 pm

Hey Erik, thanks for the update. If your model has a similar camshaft actuator solenoid valve, I’d check the screens to see if there’s any contamination like metal debris. Good Luck.

59. Jeffrey Landis :

Date: January 4, 2015 @ 11:08 am

I have an 07 Colorado 2.9 liter Lt truck and I have P0017 trouble code and that’s the only code the code first Showed up at 30000 miles and has never gone away I took it back to the dealer and they replace the crank and cam position sensors then replaced the entire timing system and then replaced the motor and the trouble code has never gone away longer then a month I’ve even replace the camshaft cylinoid that was possible for that screen problem that everybody’s talking about but that didn’t fix it either I now have a 100000 miles and want to sell the truck but no one wants to buy the truck with that trouble code please help me.

Date: January 4, 2015 @ 12:04 pm

Jeffrey, if the solenoid isn’t the problem I’d take it back to the dealer since they obviously have the most experience dealing with this code. Good Luck.

61. Erik P :

Date: January 24, 2015 @ 2:51 pm

I’d just like to pass along an update on my 2005 Colorado lk5. The re manufacturer instructed me to tear into and check the exhaust camshaft actuator, (commonly called a phaser) which turned out to be faulty and appears to be made of Unobtanium as no one stocks or makes these. I am going to reassemble the engine until someone starts making them again. I hope this can help others who seem to have exhausted (no pun intended) their options.

62. Jim L. :

Date: January 24, 2015 @ 8:02 pm

I also have a 2005 5 cylinder Colorado that has just started stalling at idle (moving or sitting still). I’ve tried to remove camshaft actuator solenoid to inspect, but can not pull it out. I’ve removed the 10mm bolt, but it will not budge. The odd thing is, you can easily rotate the solenoid to the left or right, but the bracket which had the 10mm bolt and connected to solenoid doesn’t move. What’s up with this?
    Thanks much!

Date: January 26, 2015 @ 7:51 am

Jim, it may be time to take it to a shop for assistance. Maybe there’s some build-up preventing it from being removed easily. Good Luck.

64. Nancy Mastrian :

Date: March 16, 2015 @ 5:07 pm

I am working on a 2011 chevy malibu and I have replaced the timing chain and other parts. The problem is the code P0016 won’t go off. I have used a scanner too. What can the problem be? The car runs good right now.

Date: March 16, 2015 @ 5:17 pm

Nancy, this article is not on the Malibu. However, I would recheck all work including timing chain and whatever “other parts” were just changed. Good Luck.

66. Tn Ron :

Date: March 20, 2015 @ 5:18 am

I have just found your blog and reading about the P0017 code, my 2009 Colorado popped the code about 70000 miles and has continued to pop the code about every 7-10,000 miles. Is this Cam Shaft sensor the same as the VVT sensor that I replace all the time and the screens are always in place. I put a new crankshaft sensor in and had to replace it with in the hour back to to OEM because of rough driving and idle. It even messed with the transmission feel. The truck drives fine with it back in it just has the check engine light on and ONSTAR maint says it is that same code also. The VVT has been replaced 5 times with 2 of them at dealer.

Date: March 20, 2015 @ 7:34 am

Ron the VVT sensor would be the Variable Valve Timing. This adjusts the timing Variable Valve Timing solenoid which changes the timing slightly under certain conditions. The camshaft position sensor is different. Look the part up on a parts website for an image. Good Luck.

68. Alex Guadalajara :

Date: March 21, 2015 @ 6:52 pm

Dennisb-I have the p0017 code used the scan tool, figured out it was the camshaft position sensor b bank 1. Looked it up sensor B is the exhaust side sensor so I changed that removing fuse box and support. However, used scan tool again and code still puts out. I ordered the vvt solenoid so I going to replace it but it has two. One for exhaust and one for intake. The one for intake is feasible but the other is further down. How would i go about replacing it. And Do you think I should replace both intake and exhaust vvt solenoids? THANKS

Date: March 22, 2015 @ 9:20 am

After installing a part like that you need to clear the code. It will not go away immediately all by itself. You may want a local shop assist in diagnosing so you’re not just throwing a bunch of parts at the problem. They will have an idea of how to change the harder to access parts, if needed. Good Luck.

70. Rob :

Date: April 22, 2015 @ 6:35 pm

I have a 2006 GMC Canyon,4cyl.80000miles. p0017 code coming up. changed crankshaft sensor code still showing, was gonna change cam solenoid but when I opened the new one there was a piece of paper in box that said “in most occurances this solenoid is replaced without first testing the old one to make sure it was functioning properly” so I followed the steps to test it and it functioned the way that they said it would. I connected 12vsource, put an allen wrench in the hole and can see that it was plunging or moving.I do have a small piece of screen missing. I know that isn’t good and needs replaced because of that. But Im wondering since the solenoid is mechanically working would it still throw a code just for missing a small section of the screen? truck is running rough on idle and has a loss of power and I do have a rattle on start up which somewhere I had read about tone ring?

71. lufemiro :

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 2:08 am

I have a 2006 hummer h3 3.5l has the p0017 code I replace crankshaft and camshaft sensors (3) also the solenoid (the screen was missing) and still the same code I took off the oil pan and find small metal pieces aluminum I guess I clean everything and also replace the timing kit chain and tensioners put new oil and filter also replace the oil pump(because the oil light was on at low rpm fix the oil light) but the same code appeared the hummer works fine like for 20 min but once it reaches the normal temperature stalls I have to let the engine off for a period of time cool it down and then works fine but happen again once the temperature is at normal and I don’t know what to do

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 7:10 am

Anytime there’s metal in the pan, it indicates engine wear. More than likely it’s not aluminum. I would suspect worn crank or cam bearings. Low oil pressure is also an indication of worn bearings. I would inspect the main and cam bearings and go from there. Most likely looking at doing a complete engine rebuild or replace with a re-manufactured one. Good Luck.

73. lufemiro :

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 2:05 pm

ok thanks dennisb but why is showing that code or what does that code mean why turns the engine off is because the gap of the sensor and the facer is big or why or the engine got stuck or is computer disorder the computer is confused ????/

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 2:31 pm

I’d say the metal is affecting the sensors, giving wrong info to computer. The metal comes back because of engine wear… You can certainly get a second opinion from a local technician that has the benefit of seeing and inspecting the vehicle in person. If they see metal in the engine oil, they will most likely pull the oil pan and inspect the cam and crank bearings. That’s what I would do. Good Luck.

75. lufemiro :

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 6:59 pm

ok thanks is there any kind of additive or sludge removal you recommend

Date: May 22, 2015 @ 7:27 pm

No, I don’t think any additives would help a worn engine.

77. HandyAdams :

Date: May 29, 2015 @ 3:05 am

I have a 2006 Canyon, 2.8L with P0017 and P0303 codes. Truck runs great except for a little misfire. Took it to 2 shops for diagnostics. First one said CKP to exhaust correlation. #3 intake valve has either carbon build up or dropped valve seat (possibly sitting crooked). Performed compression & leak down test and found 80% leaking. Recommend removing cyl head as next step in vehicle repairs. The second shop replaced #3 coil and said the timing chain is stretched. It runs great now but still has P0017 code. How do I know who to believe?

I replaced the camshaft actuator solenoid valve before I took it to either shop. The weird thing is that all 3 screens were intact but there was a crumpled screen stuck to one of the good screens. Where could that have come from?

Date: May 29, 2015 @ 7:16 am

As far as the timing chain “stretched”… doesn’t make sense. Why would it only affect #3? Carbon build could be cleaned with a fuel injection service. Never saw carbon build-up bad enough to cause a misfire though. And again, why would carbon build-up just on one cylinder’s valves? The fact that the screen was damaged indicated something was loose in there bouncing around. Most likely metal from somewhere. These engine’s computer controls are very sensitive, so misfires could be from related issues with the sensor, especially with the P0017 code setting. If you had the misfire code by itself, I would be more likely to treat the diagnosis like a regular misfire… coil, spark plug, injector etc. I would check the engine oil in the pan for metal which would indicate serious wear. Good Luck.

79. june :

Date: June 21, 2015 @ 1:08 pm

My 08 Colorado had the same code pulled the cam actuator. Screens were all in tact. Replaced it anyway and the codes were gone. All good while inspecting my truck I seen a very small oil drip on the rubber inspection plug all around was dry. A little concerned but was happy the actuated got rid of the codes and rough idle and limp mode stopped. Next day truck running fine drove about 30 miles and truck died pulled over appeared to me hot. Let it cool off and drove another 15 miles pulled over let it cool down and huge oil puddle under truck. Looked under truck and to my horror oil everywhere my under garage was covered and dripping from the frame I mean everywhere put a quart of oil in it and Drove it another 40 miles and made it home. First response was I blew rear main seal. Oil was dripping at a quick pace from that rubber plug and the silver round thing. Please tell me it’s not the rear main

Date: June 21, 2015 @ 4:38 pm

Hello June, not sure where your leak is coming from by going by your description. I would have a shop put it on a lift and diagnose the leak for you. You may want to consider towing it there. Good Luck.

81. Tim :

Date: June 25, 2015 @ 1:44 pm

This is driving me nuts! 2006 Chevy Colorado with 36,000 miles and a P0017 code. Took it to the dealer. $290 later, they cleaned the cam shaft sensor (no ripped screens), but still no dice. Next day, and another $980 later, they replace the actuator, and still throwing the code. Then they tell me my timing chain is loose/stretched, and needs to be replaced. Thing is, truck runs fine: no noise, no low power issues, nothing. If this doesn’t fix it, I’m not sure how much more I should have done to it.

82. steven :

Date: August 23, 2015 @ 11:51 am

Have a 08 colorado changed cam, crank and actuator sensors still getting codes?

Date: August 24, 2015 @ 9:10 am

I’d inspect them. Possibly worn engine causing repeat failure. Good Luck.

84. pat :

Date: September 7, 2015 @ 6:59 pm

the p0017 code that keeps coming back on the 3.5 litre engines is crankshaft play. tsb tells you how to check. if its got to much play you will need to replace engine if you want light out.

Please note: Your comment will not be posted until it's approved. We appreciate and read all on topic, relevant comments. Please don't ask for repair manual info like torque specs, wiring diagrams and specific repair procedures. If quick assistance is needed with purchasing a tool or part, please visit our tool website or call to place an order at 800-524-9783. *Note we don't offer repair advice on the phone.